Seniors Thread

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by RiverRat68, May 13, 2012.

1. RiverRat68

RiverRat68 RiverRat68 Supporter

I thought it might be worthwhile to have a SENIORS THREAD/STICKEY so that we senior shooters, hunters and gun enthusists can toss back and forth any limitations they have because of age, and the way they overcome them. Such as Arthritis in the hands(Trigger Control), Essential Tremors (Sight Picture), and Mobility, just to name a few. I have was diagnosed with Parkinson's Diasese last summer, and have made some minor changes as to what I do now at the gun club. I'm open to any and all suggestions.:)

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Because of back problems, I let the wife mow the yard.

Is that an example of "senior" ality?

3. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

I have minor Arthritis in my right shoulder so there are days that I have to be careful what I do with my right hand. I can shoot left handed but on the days I'm feeling pain, I really don't want to do anything but scarf down aspirin and sit on the couch.

4. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

My hands aren't as strong as they used to be but it hasn't affected my shooting. I do have trouble loading mags but I bought speed loaders and they help a lot.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

My orthopedic surgeon has told me I have to give up shooting from the kneeling position, or give up the knee. :eek:

6. widowmaker

widowmaker New Member

My heart doctor tole me to give up half my sex life.........
    Now which half do I give up?? Thinking about it or talking about it
    D

7. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm at the point where I wish God had let me keep my teeth and have my balls fall out. :)

8. kycol

kycol New Member

Oh I will use this one at work too funny

9. kycol

kycol New Member

I have diabetes and it plays hell with my vision. I have so many pair off glasses it's not funny. Can't get prescription glasses tried 3times only to not be able to see out of them in matter of weeks. Makes sighting really difficult. I used to be able to outshoot almost anybody I shot with. Now only on very good days.

10. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

senior

Well, I am in that group. I figure its quarter to 12 for me!!

I can still can shoot handguns very good. at 10 to 25 yards, But, shooting competition is a bit tough because the eyes are not what they were.

Plus, trying to hold up a loaded 1911 .45 on target at 25 and 50 yards is not as easy as it was years ago.

But, on the other hand, I can still out shoot 90% of the younger folks at the range. : )

The rifle shooting part is no problem because of scopes.

Other than that, I am doing ok in later years.

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  11. elmerfudge

elmerfudge New Member

My prostrate is so old I pee in Morse Code.

12. readygirl

readygirl New Member

WOW... you guys do need an old fogeys sticky thread.

13. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

There may be miles on some of us, but we have all learned to appreciate the finer things in life.

14. kycol

kycol New Member

Some of us get better
    Ike fine wine
    Others
    Mold like. Cheese

15. readygirl

readygirl New Member

Yep, i could tell that right away, after reading just a few of the posts.

16. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

[​IMG]

That's better than having the dentist tell you your teeth are fine but the gums have to go....... [​IMG]

17. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I'm a recoil junky, with arthritis in my right wrist. Guess where that came from.

I'm at the point that for me to shoot my Model 29 with hot loads, I need to pop aspirin and shoot my 1911-22 for the next week if I want any trigger time. I still do it (but not nearly as much) and enjoy the push! :p

My chiropractor does an ultrasound massage on my wrist when it acts up. It's amazing!

I spent several hours in a tree stand two weeks ago while hog hunting. I did need to stand up every once in a while to keep my back from locking up.

I find that keeping myself hydrated is essential in preventing all sorts of health issues. If I'm not drinking a minimum of one gallon of water each day my body lets me know I'm a quart down.

Eating my daily last meal early and only drinking water till I go to sleep provides me a good night's sleep.

If you don't give yourself (your internal battery) a recharge with REM sleep every night, you are asking for trouble!

And I call BS on the saying, "Sixty is the new forty."

18. Bootsdeal

Bootsdeal New Member

Growing old ain't for sissys!

19. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Like many of my fellow old farts, I am paying the bill now for what I did to my body THEN. At one time, we all kept a bottle of Darvon Compound 65 in our rucksacks. Known as Ranger Candy. Wake up feeling the damage done yesterday, pop one and a swig from your canteen, and drive on.

If I had known I would live this long, I would have taken better care of me! :p

20. AsmelEduardo

AsmelEduardo New Member

I would like to discuss the word "senior" ...I have all those aches and pains, but my 33th B-day was less than 2 months ago...
    I already had a hip replacement 5 years ago! :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us