Semi-retro type 723

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by hillmillenia, Apr 5, 2010.

1. hillmillenia

hillmillenia New Member

OK she be done! I have always wanted one of the A1 carbines...the old SP-1 CAR-15 as it were. I set out to build a true retro but financial restraints and parts I had laying around forced a slight change in plans. The discovery of the transistional Colt model 723 type carbine, a pre M4 design, a hodgepodge of early and or later designs. In this case, a "pencil" type 16" Bbl. with an A1 receiver albeit with the integral brass deflector, carbine handguards. The receiver is the later A2 design as is the grip and the stock is a gen-1 M4 type with mil-spec tube. Range report to follow...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    parts specs: Bushmaster 16" ultra-light 1/9 barrel assy (I got to torque this one onto the upper)
    Bushmaster A1 upper receiver assy.
    BCM bolt carrier group and charging handle
    Spikes Tactical lower receiver
    Stag Arms lower parts kit
    BCM Gen-1 M4 mil-spec buttstock assy w/H-buffer
    This thing is LIGHT!
    I gotta try something different next time...possibly the .458 SOCOM or mabey a 6.8...I need some serious rehab...:eek:

2. hillmillenia

hillmillenia New Member

Back from the range...and yes it was windy as all get out here in Oklahoma. There seems to be no interest in this particular post here but again I have to point out this is one light carbine. It translates into some snappy performance with the 5.56 round. I was pleased the longarm shoots where you point it without requiring any adjustment to the sights. Feed and function were 100% for the 50 rounds I burned. cases were thrown between 2:00 & 3:00 out to 10 feet. Already had an offer on it. Guy wants it for his kids...I guess the light weight will fit the bill for the wife or kids ;)...I'm 6'4" and I like it too as a handy little carbine for casual outtings with friends. Anyway, there it is, another success story. I'm sure glad it didn't blow up in my face!:eek:

3. DonnyKC

DonnyKC New Member

Looking good.

4. bkt

bkt New Member

Yep, there is interest. Looks good, hillmillenia. I'm not a huge fan of the fixed carry handle, but I understand what you were after.

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I like it and you did a nice job. :cool:

6. james_black

james_black New Member

I build one myself a month ago. I got it with an a1 stock but I place m4 handguards to mine. I'm got big hands and I don't like the skinny carbine guards. I have yet to zero mine. I'm a fan of the 62 gr soft point. Lets see how she does when I take care of her. I'm planning of placing one of those Colt 4x32 scopes also.

7. hillmillenia

hillmillenia New Member

Gee wilikers guys, thanks for all the kind comments :)...Now that I have established she's a keeper, I'm starting to experiment...and though I have always said I would not go for the aftermarker tack-ons or colors...I went ahead and orderd a dark-earth Magpul MOE stock set...stock,handguards and grip...should be something else...:eek:

8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

We will require pictures. ;)

9. james_black

james_black New Member

My wife's ar15 its a colt skinny barrel and bolt. I put an MOE magpul stock, flip up rear sight, and the new forend in foliage green. I even got the pmags to go with it. It looks sweet.

10. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Aw hell, ain't nothing wrong with some earth tone colors on a Bushy, it gives it some definable character and it doesn't clash with the red dirt here in Oklahoma! :D

Jack

11. hillmillenia

hillmillenia New Member

:D Yeah aint no shortage of red dirt...that's for sure!...I'll post pix once she's all dressed up.

Update: the parts showed up at work today...about 20 miles from my rifle...I'm starting to feel like a kid at Christmas...I am taken with the quality of the Magpul products...very well made...must make it to 5 Oclock...

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  12. hillmillenia

hillmillenia New Member

retro with magpul MOE furniture...

OK this is the earthtone magpul MOE stockset. I like it! :D and as I stated earlier, the Magpul exhibits outstanding quality...you can feel it in the parts. One thing to note, the pistol grip did not simply slide on. This is a Spikes lower receiver but I did have to grind just a wee bit off the channel inside the grip to get it to slide up on there...not really a problem with my handy Dremel die grinder and a small sanding barrel but it could have been a hassle if I didn't have the tool available. As promised...heeeeres Johnny:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    :cool: Oh yeah...