Semi Automatic Gun Cleaning

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by 6shootersandw, Aug 13, 2012.

1. 6shootersandw

6shootersandw New Member

How many rounds should you shoot before you clean a new gun?

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Clean when you're done shooting unless you start having crud based malfunctions.

3. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

I always clean a new gun before I shoot it. Then immediately afterwards too.

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Better answer

5. clem_

clem_ New Member

When I buy a new gun I clean it before Igo to the range and after I'm done shooting - make sure you clean the slide good with oil.

6. 6shootersandw

6shootersandw New Member

I was told wait until you shoot at least 500 rounds before you start cleaning it for the first time.

7. 6shootersandw

6shootersandw New Member

My local gun shop. Any semi automatic gun.

8. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Ok. Uh well I would have to say it was a vague half-a$$ed bit of info they gave you. I can tell you there are semi-autos on the market that will fail to function before you shoot 500 rnds without cleaning. Any time you buy a used gun you definitely want to take it home and go through it thoroughly and clean it before you shoot. Even with a brand new gun its a good idea. There could be an obstruction in the barrel nobody noticed. I would recommend running 200-500 rounds through a gun before you carry it for defense. You want to be damn sure its reliable.

9. 6shootersandw

6shootersandw New Member

Well I just bought a new xdm again and I just just 100 rounds last week and plan on shooting 50 this week and then clean. Do you think this would hurt the gun?

10. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Should be fine. But wouldn't hurt to clean it. Nice gun btw

11. 6shootersandw

6shootersandw New Member

Well I am going shooting tomorrow right after that I will clean. Thanks

12. Gone_South

Gone_South New Member

I think Canes sticky on 1911 break in says 500 rounds but that, I think, is mainly a 1911

13. 6shootersandw

6shootersandw New Member

Shot another 100 rounds today and cleaned my gun with Balistol. Great stuff spray and wipe it down. Is it ok to clean the magazines?

14. therewolf

therewolf New Member

200 rounds-no, 300 rounds, no, wait,wait,500 rounds, sorry.:p

I usually clean the barrel after every range trip.

Field strip and clean the pistol every 2nd or third time,

as it involves re-lubrication.

Strip and clean the magazines every 10 trips or so,

staggering the mag cleanings so I don't wind up doing

them all at once.

15. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

o. Clean it first.

16. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

I run a snake 3 X through the barrel of my XDM every time I shoot then wipe it down. I haven't found any loss of accuracy or jams of any kind in 500 rounds w/o cleaning.

If it won't run dirty, I won t shoot it. HKs will run even longer.

My only exception is my shotgun (Baretta 391 Urika) - w light loads, she is high maintenance. Drives me crazy - open to suggestion.

17. gollygee

gollygee New Member

I believe Baer recommends this because they have cleaned it & lubed with their "break in" oil. I don't know of any other manufacturer that does this, maybe some of the custom gun manufacturers.

Unless the gun store has cleaned it, it will likely have a preservative on it, especially if imported, & that is not a lubricant. It can get sticky/gummy with heat & may create problems. Some can even bake onto the pistol & then it's a real chore to get it off.

18. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

That is short sighted advise. IF the gun is factory new, has not sat around gathering dust and grit in a display case before you purchased it that MIGHT be OK. Keep in mind, guns are made (at least partly) from machined steel and aluminum. Are you willing to trust they removed ALL of the machining leavings before shipping the gun?

There is some good reason the hold off. Just like a new car, the engine needs to get broken in. New engines come with oil that hs special additives to aid in the break in process. Changing the oils every 100 miles on a new car is not recommended.

Once broken in, clean after each range session whether that is 25 rds or 250 rds.

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

A new gun should always be cleaned first thing. The shipping oils are not lubricant they are rust inhibitors and can cause damage if not cleaned. As in overpressure from being in the barrel or abrasion from the rapid evaporation from heat on moving parts.

Once you have the initial cleaning done upon recieving the firearm new or used, for that matter, i seldom clean mine unless they are exposed to water dirt dust etc. The exception being my carry gun which gets a wipe down every couple days regardless to get rid of body salts from sweat and lint from clothing.

Gunshops are in the business of repair and selling new guns. Taking maintenence advice from a gunshop is like the used car guy telling you cars dont need oil changes but every 100,000 miles...

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012