semi auto pistol under $300

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by nitronate, Nov 27, 2013.

1. nitronate

nitronate New Member

Hello i am new here, as well to the shooting scene. I have been trying to purchase my first semi auto pistol. I am looking to spend less than $300. I have talkedto several gun shops andthey tell me the only thing in my price range is hi point or a little pheonix 22 is there another place to look or am i stuck with the hipoint? Any help would be greatly appreciated... thank you in advance

2. FishinLuke

FishinLuke New Member

Used or save up another $200-250 for a decent semi-auto. JMO.

3. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

What caliber are you looking for? Will it be a range gun or defense.

A Ruger 22/45 .22 and a Kel Tek PF9 9mm are two that I have recently seen for about $300.

4. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

This to^^^

Another $150 even will greatly expand your possibilities.

5. JackieBrown13

JackieBrown13 New Member

You could get a pretty nice knife for that kind of money

6. JW357

JW357 New Member

Agreed on saving a little bit longer. The market really opens up with just a bit more cash.

Or just keep your eyes peeled to the used gun market.

I'm not sure what purpose you're thinking for the handgun but if concealed carry is in your mind SCCY makes a 9mm for right at $300 I believe. I've heard some good things and some bad things.

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

There is some truth there in what has been said.

Most new people look at the purchase of a firearm to be "Hey, I have a gun" without realizing what they need the firearm for.

That is like buying a car, just to have a car, and not looking at why it is needed in the first place.

Your budget limit of $300 will not buy a firearm that could be used as an heirloom later. There may be a couple of firearms available for that price, but most will break, have accelerated wear, not have aftermarket parts available (like magazines or holsters).

8. mikemc

mikemc New Member

Real good advice here. Decide what the gun is for, which could/should narrow the field.

I had a SCCY. They're a small (15 oz unloaded) 9mm staggered double stack that hold 10 rounds in the magazine. Holsters and such are easy enough to find and they are starting to get a bit of coverage - there are quite a few reviews out there on these little guns. I paid right about $295, including taxes and transfer fees when I bought mine. Lifetime warranty and great, really great customer service. The only problem that I had was that I needed to use the customer service twice in a two month period. The turnaround is great and the gun always came back repaired at no cost but...the fact that it needed repair just sapped my confidence in the gun. Loved shooting it but couldn't get myself to keep it so I sold it and bought a Kahr CM9. That is just a little out of your price range though so I won't go into any detail on the Kahr.

The SCCY does have a lot of satisfied owners so don't just go with my take. Just a few words for your consideration.

Stick around here and you'll learn a lot - this forum has some sharp folks with great advice.

9. Mercator

Mercator New Member

HiPoint is actually okay in .380. A better buy would be a Beretta Neos or a S&W Model 22. You will shoot them more accurately and for less than any centerfire in this range. Ruger Mark III Standard is also fine, only if you have the patience to learn its disassembly.

My choice for $299 is the Bersa Firestorm. It is a Walther PPK design with improvements. It has a combat style grip (not super-angled), easier to carry if you wish, and very reliable for a 22 (first hand report)

10. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

1st handgun ever? Get a 22. Yes--right now 22 ammo is darned hard to find, but that will
    end eventually.

$300 new is pretty limiting. Beretta Neos and Ruger 22/45 would be my choices.

Centerfire? See if there is a dealer in your area that gets in police
    trade in Glocks. Most around here are G22's, but I also see
    G17 and G19. Carried a lot, shot very little. You might not hit
    the $300 mark, but it should be close.

11. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

First of all your local gun shop reps suck dude. For $300 and under your choices are limited but good guns can still be had in this price range. If you shop around you can find s&w sd9/sd40, ruger kp95/lcp/lc9, Taurus pt111/709, a few keltec guns(not really familiar with the models), bersa thunder. That's a few that I would consider better than hi point or Phoenix. If you save up another $100 that opens the door for even more quality guns like kahr and used more expensive makes. With Black Friday adds today you might be in luck for an even better firearm if you look around. To me though $300 with get you one hell of a 22. Those gun shop guys were just trying to sell you a more expensive gun to make more commission or lacked handgun knowledge. People have to realize everyone can't afford guns that cost over $400 and $500. If you can your blessed if not you can still get a good gun.

12. KingGlamis

KingGlamis New Member

Close to that price range is the Smith & Wesson SD9VE. I have well over 1000 rounds through mine with zero problems. But I do recommend the Apex spring kit to lighten the trigger pull. Makes the gun even better.

13. robertb6112

robertb6112 New Member

You could find a CZ-52, CZ-70 or a tokarev. And i guess 7.62 x 25 is still easy to find and almost as cheap as .22. CZ-70 is a .32 ACP. Which is kind of expensive and harder to find.

14. mahall

mahall New Member

In my Humbled opinion. You will be unhappy with any gun at that price in the long run! I do realize that, the purchase of a "first handgun" can be exciting and difficult, not to leap at the first one that we can afford! I made the mistake of putting money as the one and only deciding factor in my first purchase! And after several guns sold,traded and purchased, I finally realized that money could not be the only deciding factor! For me, I had to blend affordability and personal satisfaction in my gun purchases.
    Do yourself a favor, save up another 200 and buy something in the 400 to 425 range(many options) depending on your primary needs! Use the rest of the money for ammo , and maybe a decent holster! But knowing what I know now, I wouldn't even look without 500 to spend, particularly if it was my first gun! Good luck, and stay safe!

15. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

A surplus gun in that price range can be a good choice depending on what you want to use it for. I have a CZ52 and it is a well made reliable gun but not a good choice for self defense because of its size and all the ammo is FMJ. New old stock barrels are available as are other parts and they are amazingly accurate. Another option would be a Polish Radom or any other Russian block pistol in 9x18 Makarov. Lots of them around, parts can be found and the prices are pretty good for what you get. You should be able to find a Radom for around $200 in good working order. They were made from the 50's to the 90's so there are a zillion of them around.

16. nitronate

nitronate New Member

Thank you for the advice. I am looking for something for the range mostly and to carry on occasion for protection.

17. orangello

orangello New Member

What about a used pistol?

I bought a lightly used cz75b for $400 that I have been really happy with. Alternatively, a Bersa thunder .380 would be in that price range for a compact carry pistol. You could probably find one of the rock island armory 1911's for not too much more $; it would be a little large for comfy carry but fine for range fun.

Thing is, the pistols that are fun to shoot a ton at the range are usually larger and heavier than the pistols that would be comfortable for all day carry. Same thing with capacity; many carry-oriented pistols use lower capacity single stack magazines.

What about this http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/115177/c/firearms good for carry

http://www.kygunco.com/eaa-windicator-38spl-4in-fs-blued-synthetic-grips-70203. Not semiauto, bot could be fun at the range and could be concealed.

Go by slickguns.com and browse around a bit.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  18. nitronate

nitronate New Member

Where is a good place to find a used pistol online or in ohio? The makarov and sccy are cool looking as is the Sd40 / sd9.

19. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

Do you have academy sporting goods in Ohio? They are selling several nice pistols usually on Black Friday in that price range by me in Texas

20. bostonscottkelly

bostonscottkelly New Member

Ruger lc9 is in that range......great carry gun