Semi auto or revolver for the left handed wifey?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Gunslingerbarred, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Gunslingerbarred

Gunslingerbarred New Member

I am going through this dilemma, my wife who is still new to guns, as I am but we do believe in protecting our home and 2nd Amendment Rights. So with that being said, here is our dilemma, 1st off she is left handed, secondly she has problems with our XD9 which I chose mainly because of its safety features, with her in mind. (Cuz she definitely doesn't like the mossberg 500) the XD is limited only to mag release button being ambidextrous. She had trouble with slide lock being made for a right handed person. My question is what would be more beneficial? A left handed semi auto handgun? If so what models are there? And finally would a revolver be a better choice for her? If so any recommendations? I'm interested in finding something she is completely comfortable and confident with.

2. orangello

orangello New Member

I would want her to try a revolver, no ejection path issues. Honestly, though, I've fired my bersa thunder9 left-handed (just for fun) and had no problems with ejection path or operating the thumb safety.

I don't know of any left-handed only pistols, myself, though many semi-auto's are "ambidextrous" with reversible mag-drop buttons and safeties.

I did see one 1911 specifically for lefties, but OUCH: http://cabotgun.com/better-than-custom-1911-pistols/south-paw/

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013

3. Gunslingerbarred

Thanks yeah we are gonna go to the range again tonight after dinner and I'm gonna see if we can figure something out, I think she has her mind set on a revolver all of a sudden lol I'm not sure what caliber I would go for that will be my next inquisition, if that's the route we take.

4. orangello

orangello New Member

Well, if budget matters much or you think she might tire of the hobby, there are usually some police trade-in revolvers available online or at the gun shows, usually .38 special or .357mag. My nephew picked one up for well under $300 this summer.

I have a ruger GP-100 in .38/.357mag (either) and like it a lot for target shooting.

5. Gunslingerbarred

I was actually thinking along the lines of a 38 for her. I think we would find something she would feel alot better with than the XD 9 l

6. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Made just for the lefties out there. My daughter has carried a righty version for several years . It does need a wolff rp hammer spring but that's all. pachmyer make a soft rubber grip that helps with controlling recoil and its +P rated.
    http://www.charterfirearms.com/products/Charter_PinkLadyLH_93830.asp
    http://www.charterfirearms.com/products/Charter_Southpaw_93820.asp

Rugers SR and SRc series have both a left side mag release and left side slide release

Berreta's Px series has both left and right side safety and reversible mag release.

7. Gunslingerbarred

Harduk I think we may have a winner with this one lol!!

8. orangello

orangello New Member

Nice find Hardluk!

9. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Gunslinger: you can't go wrong with Any Charter or Ruger compact revolver! When we went shopping for my Dw's carry gun she liked both(although she is NOT a fan of pink finishes or grips on guns), but we stuck with Ruger at the end of the day, which makes,..let's see now (counting on fingers) 6 Rugers all total!

10. Gunslingerbarred

Yes I showed her the pink revolver she was not interested lol but I hear the S&W M&P can be set up for a lefty??? I showed her a pic of the M&P she likes that alot

11. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Revolvers are an excellent option, also Ruger's SR series of semi-autos has ambi. safeties and mag. release buttons, but only rightie slide stops.

12. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Revolvers are an excellent choice for a first time user/buyer. A 38/357 is a great all around fun gun to shoot and powerful enough for anything on 2 legs. And they aren't bigoted to lefties or righties.

13. Gunslingerbarred

We are narrowing it down to SR or revolver, I'm actually interested in the M&P myself lol... But it's for her so we will see.

14. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

I would suggest you go to a local gunrange/store that has both, tell them you want to buy one but want to try both them out, and nt have to pay for both gun rentals. Im sure they would work with you and let you do it. Any gun may look nice on paper, but its how it fits in your hand, and if she is comfortable with the safeties (if any) etc, and can rack the slide etc, as well as the kick, that makes an ok gun a great gun.

15. DrFootball

I will say this: My wife has several health issues(carpal tunnel, Arthritis,.possibly both osteo & rumatoid, and stenosis of the neck and spine). She has shot my SR, but does not like the slide(even her Browning Buckmark's slide gets "stiff & dry" after 250+ rounds). If it becomes a SHTF she is most likely going to be shooting our Mossberg SA-20, and while she has been getting better each week we practice with her autos, she still prefers wheelguns....She would carry 3 if she could! Her words" if they made an Auto that loaded itself without me needing to pull back a slide, I'd buy one tomorrow!!" We're both in lots of pain today because the weather is changing here(Finally!) to slightly "cooler" by next week. It was so hot here the the plastic liner of my retractable 50" hose popped while I was watering shrubs a few hrs ago....

16. DHawk2

DHawk2 New Member

I'm a lefty and I bought the M&P 9. I like the ambidextrous slide release and mag release. One thing I've noticed about a revolver, I have an old S&W 38 special, is that the cylinder release is made for righties and the cylinder opens to the left. Doesn't make it easy for a lefty to open, eject and reload it.

17. janeitzel

janeitzel New Member

My wife is a lefty but shoots right handed be it a rifle or pistol. We went looking for a gun for cc class for her and looked at alot of auto loaders. I have a 38 S&W she could use but she has a problem with pulling the trigger with the double action. Many auto loaders have a double action trigger also. We finally got her a Bersa Thunder 380. We shot it today for the first time and its a sweet little gun. My wife had trouble with her right hand hurting after the first round, may have been holding the gun to loose. She switched to left handed and did pretty well. She missed a lot but she is not a shooter. Finally hit 5 for 5 in a 9" circle from 21 feet. No miss loads or extraction problems a well made gun and great little wife.

18. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

There are some semi's out there that have a tip up barrel but they are usually limited to 380 or less. I believe Browning made a tip up 380 for while.

19. DrFootball

Beretta, still has 2, the Tomcat(22LR/25ACP)
    and the Bobcat(32ACP). She has also held the Beretta 84(about 3/4ths the size of a 92, same design-380 round) which has a very smooth slide(at least the one we held at the GS). Her PT actually told her to keep working on hand strength, so she will keep on shooting with whatever she hand handle.

20. JW357

JW357 New Member

If you get her a revolver, which is 100% my recommendation btw, look for a .357 Magnum. You have more versatility than one chambered in .38 Special because if its chambered in .357 Magnum it can shoot both rounds. The opposite is not true.

Regarding M&Ps. I own a 9c and my wife has the 9mm full size. They are the most ergonomic semi-auto I have ever held, excluding 1911s. I absolutely love them. My wife is a lefty, but keeps her M&P setup for a righty. But it can, yes, be setup for a southpaw. The only thing that can't be ambi is the take-down lever. The mag release can be switched over, the slide stop comes ambi from the factory, and my model doesn't have the thumb safety although some do, so I'm not sure if it comes ambi or if you have to switch it. It's one if the most ambi friendly semi-autos out there.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013