Semi-Auto defense shotgun thoughts

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Mouser, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Mouser

Mouser Active Member

In your opinions...what is the best value in a semi-auto, high capacity defense shotgun...that is low cost, high reliability and low maintenance.

By low maintenance, I mean a finish that is resistant to the elements, corrosion etc..

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

3. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The Mosberg 930 is a good shotgun, once broken in. Many folks have problems with low energy loads at first, but that seems to become less of an issue once the gun has a couple hundred rounds through it.

I would seriously consider the Remington 11-87P. It seems to be even more forgiving of ammo variables.

WTS, I have a Saiga that will eat ANYTHING. I got mine cheap several years ago, but the "converted" ones are very pricey these days.

5. Mouser

Mouser Active Member

The shotgun would be a home defense weapon and likely to be confined to use in doors...so I was considering a 20ga so as to get my wife to practice a bit with it...if I remember, a 3" magnum in 20ga is the equivalent to a hi velocity 12 ga load...you thoughts?

I have an 11-87 I use for hunting, but I think it is a bit expensive for a gun that will not see much use...so the Mossberg sounds like a good option so far from what you all have said

6. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

My 930 runs light target loads with no problem from day one.

7. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

If you're going to use a magnum 20 gauge load to make it like a 12 ga. Why not just stick with the 12 and use standard loads? Not much recoil reduction from 12 to 20 anyway from the semi-autos I've played with.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  8. orlando_marquez

orlando_marquez New Member

I use the Mossberg 930 SPX for work/HD. The only issue I have is that I prefer a shorter stock. Mechanically, it runs just fine. Loads 7+1+1 ghost loaded.

3 lowest prices I've seen were $549, $649, and $669.

ForumRunner_20131117_213203.jpg

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  9. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

What is your budget for this shotgun. There are a lot of guns that meet your criteria. But we need a max price to make usable suggestions.

10. Mouser

Mouser Active Member

My budget is more defined by how much I want to put into a weapon that I won't shoot much...with a handgun, I shoot it and enjoy shooting it even if it sits on my nightstand. With a shotgun, home defense type, it will be shot enough to familiarize myself with it but is not a gun that I shoot for the joy of shooting it...if that makes sense. I'd like to keep my spend under $500 if possible. Pump shotgun is not going to work...must be an autoloader.

11. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

FN SLP if you can get one

12. hawkguy

mine as well....but i read somewhere you should run some more powerful shells through first and you will get better results.....so i have always run 20 buckshot or so, and then went to the cheap target loads. the only malfunction i ever had were with winchester target loads, in mine the federal target shells run all day and then some. my buddy who has a benelli was kinda pissed, as he paid more and his benelli won't cycle target rounds well....but his benelli is a smooth shooter for sure....

13. hawkguy

14. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

If you don't plan on shooting the gun why would you want it for SD? Buckshot doesn't spread as rapidly as people think. In the confines of your home the pattern won't be much larger than your hand.

You can shoot skeet with SD shotguns and they don't do bad. A few shots are out of range. After a couple rounds of skeet you will know which stands to skip. You will get plenty of practice shooting targets coming at you and going away from you. Plus you will be able to shoot all the doubles. No one should complain as long as you are doing something constructive.

You might make some new friends and find a fun game you enjoy. If you ever have to use the gun SD it will be familiar to your hands.

15. FAS1

FAS1 Member

Maybe keep an eye open for a good used Police trade in like the Beretta 1201FP. I have had mine for about 20 years now that I bought new. It a great HD gun just as it comes. Same inertia action as the Benelli M1 Super 90.

[​IMG]