Semi-Auto 9mm

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by notdku, Jul 6, 2008.

1. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

Is there currently any 9MM semi-automatic rifles on the market under $800 that are actually quality?

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

That would Depend...

.... On your personal view of "quality".

Within the price range, off the top of my head....

Beretta makes the CX4 Storm that is modular, futuristic and polymer in construction. The weapon has very few components to take apart to clean, something along the lines of the Glock. It's light-weight, easy to carry. I have only played with them at SHOT, so I don't have any field info to provide I am afraid...

Olympic Arms makes this model. While this price is a little higher, I have seen them all over the internet in the $750 to $825 range. I have, now 2, Olympic Arms receivers now, one is finished and one I am building. They have treated me well so far.

Rumor had it that Microtech was going to turn out their AUG styled STG line up in a 9mm variant. I believe the price would be a little more than $800 though - however their gear is very well made, if you like the looks of the weapon.

What's the interest? Just out of curiosity...

JD

3. G21.45

G21.45 New Member

4. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

Just picking up some rifles before the election. I found another AR15 for under 800 but was curious what else was out there.

5. BigO01

BigO01 New Member

I could be completely wrong but don't they make 9mm conversions for your AR's ?

6. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

You might want to save a few more bucks and go out in search of an MP5. They are super easy to control and use a gas system that is superior to the ARs.

7. coltm4

coltm4 New Member

Ruger also makes the PC-9. it's reminicent of the old M-1 carbine. it's got a synthetic stock, ghost ring sights (depending on the model), and takes ruger P-95 mags. I gave mine to my dad. he loves it.

8. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

You might want to look around for Marlin Camp Rifles.

9. KingTiger

KingTiger Member

Feather USA

These guys used to be Feather Industries, I got this pre-ban AT-9. Not sure how you determine quality, it's fairly accurate w/irons.
    http://www.featherusa.com/page3.html

The 147 gr. FMC subsonics at 950 FPS are very cool.

[​IMG]

10. iloveguns

iloveguns New Member

I believe that Kel-Tec has a rifle that accepts Glock 9mm magazines. Here is a link----http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/sub2000.html

You can also get it in .40s&w.:D

11. bkt

bkt New Member

Have any experience with this? Quality/reliability/accuracy? It's a pretty neat design, if it's built right.

12. genie

genie New Member

Gas System- MP5

Would you be kind enough to tell more about the gas system of the MP5? I understand how the AR operates.

Thank you!

13. grnflash

grnflash New Member

Actually the MP5, as well as all of the H&K rifles that pre-date the G36 series utilize a roller-delayed-blowback bolt locking system. It requires a physics degree to explain perfectly, but I can tell you that it has the following characteristics:

• It does not use !ANY! cartridge gasses to function... even in large rifle calibers. It is essentially a mechanically enhanced blowback process.
    • Because no burned propellant is introduced into the bolt locking mechanism, it runs very clean and reliably.
    • Because the mechanism will function even if the bore of the gun is still under pressure (the bullet hasn't left yet), the cartridge will be torn apart if it is not freed from the chamber walls. Because of this, the chamber on these weapons is ALWAYS fluted. This allows high-pressure gasses to circulate around the outside of the cartridge case while the bullet is still in the bore, allowing the case to "float" out of the chamber.
    • This chamber fluting basically means that any brass put through these weapons is un-reloadable.
    • To some small extent, the chamber fluting and gas-less breech locking also mean that the weapon has a mild self-cleaning effect (emphasis on mild).

PM if you are really curious about how the guts of it work.

14. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

First, welcome to the forum. Usually the new members stop by the introduction thread so the members can get to know them.

Second, I would not wait for a resopnse to your post that is on this topic unless someone wants to know. The post you responded to was made on 7-24-2008.

15. grnflash

grnflash New Member

Haha.... yeah, I saw that AFTER I left the post. Oh well. Maybe someone will stumble across it one day, and actually take up my PM offer.

Thanks for the warm welcome, though. It seems like one of the better boards I've found in a while.

16. pt02

pt02 New Member

I actually have 9mm sub2000 from kel tec. I got it sited in for about 50yds within a 4 in circle. It comes with 10 rd mags, which are glock 17. I ordered pre-ban , 16 rd mags for it. and it shoots great, no jamming and really fun to shoot. The only thing i think is tricky about it is the front site adjusting procedure, but after you do it for awhile you get use to it. but if you do not shoot again for awhile, you have to get the instructions out and go thru them. But really thats no big deal. Overall I love the rifle......

17. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

grnflash,

I'd like to nominate this for one of the most helpful first posts I've seen in a long time!

So often it goes something like this:

So, I want to buy a gun. Maybe a handgun. What should I buy?

18. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

pt02,

Not bad, either. How about you go ahead over to the Introductions thread and tell us about yourself?

Welcome to the forum!

19. 9mmar

9mmar New Member

I had a Kel-tec that accepted glock mags. It was good but I picked up a Calico for just a little more and it functions much better. Plus 100 round drums of 9mm is alot more fun then 33rd glock mags.

20. rob072770

rob072770 New Member

Beretta CX4 STORM

Has any one shot the 40 cal vs the 9mm if it was you what would you buy

Thanks

Spanky;)