Semi Auto 7.62x54R Build

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by texaswoodworker, Apr 10, 2012.

1. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Sometime this year (probably in the fall, or winter), I would like to build a semi automatic 7.62x54R with a 16"-20" barrel. So for now, I need to design it. I aready have a few Ideas, but need advice/imput.

First, I need to choose a reciever to build off of. I was thinking about a FPK or PSL reciever since they are already designed to use 7.62x54R, and use 10 rd mags, but I'm open to suggestions.
    As long as the reciever can withstand a LOT of shooting (not so much rapid fire, but long shooting sessions), it will work for me. I also prefer them to hold at least 10 rds (fixed mag or removable mag are both fine with me) but it can use less, or more if nessesary.

Second is the barrel. I really want it to be either a 16", 18" or 20" barrel. Will a .308 barrel work, or does it have to be .311? (what exactly is the size of 7.62x54R?)

As for what this gun will be used for, it will mostly be a range gun, but could possibly be used as a SHTF gun if needed. It does not have to be super accurate, but have decent accuracy (it will be mostly a 100-400 yard gun)

Finally, I want this thing to have an old military look to it when it is done.

Any suggestions, tips, criticisms, ect.

One last thing since I will probably be asked this anyway. I want this because I like the idea of it. I want a semi auto 7.62x54R because I like the round, it is cheap to shoot, and I think I can have a lot of fun with it. :D

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  2. orangello

orangello New Member

They sell a VEPR in 7.62x54r. I am not sure about getting just the receiver though. Maybe ask the people at classicarms.us about getting you just the receiver since they sell the rifles.

http://www.classicfirearms.co/russianveprrifles.htm
    Mags aren't cheap, but the VEPR's are supposed to be better made and tighter than the Saiga's and such. I think they all come with that scope mount rail on the side.

3. texaswoodworker

I just looked, and at $900, I would just buy either a complete PSL/FPK or a STV-40. :D I'll have to ask them about getting just the reciever though. Hopefully they wouldn't charge too much for one. I found a few places that have a stripped FPK reciever for $99, so I'll have to look more into both.

4. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I dont know where your skills are at... But why not do it like the old gun designers did? Take some sorta non-auto gun and turn it into one...

I think thats how J. Garand started.. Bill Ruger made a lever gun into a semi-auto....

Figure out how to make a semi-auto Mosin that holds 10 rds. & can be reloaded with 2 Mosin clips/PSL mag, or such.. That would be awesome! :)

5. texaswoodworker

Trez, if I could figure out how to turn a mosin into a semi auto, I'd make a hundred of them. :D

My scales are amuture at best, but I can overcome that.

Now that you mention it, would it be possible? Mosin parts are cheap, but strond so it may be something workth looking into.

Also, would it be legal? Can I legally turn a bolt action reciever into a semi auto reciever?

Oh, and can you tell me what lever action was turned into a semi? I'd like to look into that some. :D

6. texaswoodworker

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

if your looking to run cheap surplus a 308 barrel wont be a good choice. if your going to just load your own then yeah a 308 would be ideal because you would have access to a huge amount of bullet choices.

converting from one caliber to another is legal.

an m1 garand is a good choice, beater receivers arent hard to find, as a candidate as they have been converted to a wide variety of other calibers including 458 winchester magnum!!

8. texaswoodworker

Sweet. How exactly do you convert a garand though? Do you have to make a new clip for them? Is that hard with a rimmed cartridge?

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

i have no earthly idea how you would go about it but i would expect you would need a milling machine lathe and drill press as a minimum.

psl recievers are also good options but your pretty much locked into the psl format. building one up from a kit and receiever would be a good choice as a first advanced project. mating the barrel to reciever is the hard part.

10. texaswoodworker

I have a drill press, but no milling machine. It would probably be safer to go with the PSL/FPK since I only have a little experience. I would like a 7.62x54R Garand someday though.

11. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

If you do build one, will you use a Bull/Heavy Barrel?

I know classic firearms had some Heavy Barrel's for the 91/30's and carbine's chambered in 7.62x54R.

12. texaswoodworker

I want a heavier than usual barrel (do they even make those?), but not that heavy. They look like they would be perfect for target rifles, and machine guns, but I'm not sure how well they would work with a carbine. I will keep them in mind though. :D

13. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

It was a Savage Model 99 in .250-3000 Savage.. It got him a job at Springfield Armory

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXg5bWyTsVI&feature=channel"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXg5bWyTsVI&feature=channel[/ame]

14. texaswoodworker

Sweet! You have a lot of faith in me if you think I even have a chance at turning a bolt action into a semi though. Some great men have tried, and the closest anyone has ever come was the Pedersen device. And all it could shoot was pistol ammo. If you replace the receiver, then it shouldn't be a problem, but then it wouldn't really be a mosin anymore. :(
    I'll think of something, I may have to change my preferences though. As long as it is a semi auto x54R, I'll be happy. I would like to build something that has not really ever been built before (or at least mass produced). I'd like it to look like the rifle the Russians would have made if they had stuck with the 7.62x54R instead of going to 7.62x39.

15. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Convert an sks. You would have to extend the reciever and get a new barrel, but it may be possible. I hope you have great machine skills.

Where is marlinman on this? He is the resident master gunsmith! ;D

16. texaswoodworker

I have some skills, not sure if I have enough to extend the receiver though. If I tried that, I see it ending with something getting impaled. :eek:

17. lonewulff

lonewulff New Member

Just a thought. But could the back of the chamber be milled enough to allow for a rimmed case? If so a standard barrel could be used and enlarged to fit the 7.62x54r. The extractor is another problem though.