Selling to foreigners???

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by TimL2952, Jun 8, 2013.

1. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

Alright, I'm in a bit of a pickle. I've been trying to sell this Browning 425 for almost 2 years now.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/classifieds/browning-425-30quot-12ga-170.html

Well, I finally found someone who is interested in it, and what's better is he only lives an hour and a half away! Problem is...He is in Canada, and I am in New York :eek:

First off, with the "SAFE ACT" all private transactions are illegal..they must be conducted at a third party FFL holder to get a background check. Regardless of that, any idea as to what the legality of shipping guns across the border is???:confused::confused:

Attached Files:

• Map.jpg
      Map.jpg
      File size:
      30.8 KB
      Views:
  2. pawjr74

pawjr74 New Member

What if he comes to you in the states and makes the purchase? Would it matter to you how he gets it home? Would you be responsible for anything once the purchase is completed?

3. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

4. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

What good can from it? Shouldn't u go thru an FFL anyway and they would know about this Canada thing? Lower your price, do it properly, get rid of the gun, and move along would be my suggestion...

5. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

Don't get me wrong here...I'm not trying to break any laws to get rid of a gun. I was just curious on how to go about it. I see now that I need to file as an exporter which means filling out a DSP-9 and paying $250 a year, and then filling out a DSP-5 to transfer the gun.

And Hocka, Im sorry, but the gun is worth at LEAST that much.

6. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

my guess is that with him being from Canada and having to go through an FFL in New York. probably not going to happen. they can't run a background check on him probably because he is Canadian.

then there is the export thing. there are very strict laws in regards to exporting firearms or firearm parts across the border.

8. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

I ruled out him coming to NY from the get go because of the SAFE ACT. However, I know the gun is legal in Canada. I asked him to check with his local officials/gun store to see the steps we'd have to take and I will do the same.

9. Axxe55

here's a link to an article about this very subject.

http://losttarget.blogspot.com/2009/07/selling-firearms-to-canadian.html

10. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

11. Axxe55

that's pretty much what i gathered as well. i imagine such costs for export will not be cheap either.

12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Simple answer- have the buyer find a US agent that can export the gun legally to him (companies that do that, and it is not cheap). He sends you money, you deliver it to his agent. Done.

YOu could not sell it to him directly if he came to your state. FEDERAL law says a private citizen may only dispose of a gun to a resident of his own state, or an FFL in any state.

FWIW, yes, an alien CAN buy a gun from a DEALER. For instance, if he has a hunting license.

13. Rocky7

Rocky7 New Member

I believe you have to ship to an FFL who is willing to jump through the hoops - mostly yours actually. I've been looking for 2-3 nice pre64 Model 70's and it seems there are lots in the U.S. I have a Canadian dealer with a connection to a U.S. licensed dealer but it'd cost me $200 per firearm. What a crock!

There are waaayyy too many bureaucrats in both countries if you ask me. A bunch of them obviously have nothing to do because they keep coming up with hare-brained regulations to protect us from imaginary trolls.

Terrorists like things that go "bang". The last time I hear of a terrorist using a Browning shotgun or a Winchester bolt action or reloading his own ammo was........never.

Years ago when I lived down south I had forgotten my van was full of guns from a session at the range when a neighbour kid I knew real well saw me drive up and asked if I'd mind running him down to Babb to buy some fireworks. Sure. Off we went. Border guy says: "Got any guns?" I say: "S**t!" He was pretty understanding and told me to make a u-turn. Which I gratefully did. Nowadays, I imagine somebody would have a fit.

14. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Just interesting that only our very own Government can legally sell or give just about any weapon to people they dont know and can never know how they will be used! Just think of how many of our soldiers came back home in a box or wheelchair with US supplied shrapnel in their bodies? Drug Cartels, Libyans, Afghans, Iranians and Iraqis can get machine guns but a New Yorker cant?????

Hell, you cant sell your gun to the guy 20 minutes away in Canada or your next door neighbor in NY without permission, approval and a transaction fee. Can you say Fetter, I knew you could...

15. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

I know...People still think I'm nuts because I believe class III firearms and accesories should be legal in New York, but who am I kidding.

Turns out the Canadian guy wasn't legit anyways, he didn't have his PAL firearms license and was not lawfully allowed to own a firearm in Canada yet.

Thanks for all the fast help guys.