Selling private party advise

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by stevem8, Jul 30, 2012.

1. stevem8

stevem8 New Member

I'm thinking of selling my Ruger SR9c - Stainless. I was gonna trade it in to my lgs. They offered me right around $300 in store credit or a bit less if I wanted cash. I'm thinking of trying to sell it private party. I live in Georgia. What do you think I can ask for it? It's like new. Around 500 rds through it. Any advice?

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

3. marc29th

marc29th New Member

Yeah brand new they're $400 at all the LGSs here in NH so you're getting 75% of full price on a trade, that's not bad.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

my advice is if you sell private party use a ffl dealer to make the transfer.

5. stevem8

stevem8 New Member

Yeah. And that's a bit of a hassle. I might just trade her in. Something about selling a gun at a parking lot somewhere is a bit unnerving. For some reason it feels very different than selling an old camera on Craigslist and that makes me a bit more nervous about it.

6. GaMatt72

GaMatt72 New Member

Or at least only sell to a carry licensed person.

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

These fine people made some good suggestions.

With the hoopla going on now, you may end up selling to some TV station that is doing a story on firearms.
    And with the spin they put on things, your picture will be posted, you could be identified as a "bad person skirting the firearm sales laws", and a bunch of other things.

8. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

These are becoming more and more popular. If you take a copy of the person's CCW permit, you know the person has had a background check and is legally licensed to own and carry a gun. It narrows your pool of buyers, but makes it ultra-safe and much harder to turn you into an "evil gun seller." ;)

9. armed1212

armed1212 New Member

Why u wanna sell?

10. GaMatt72

GaMatt72 New Member

I am Wanting to trade and will only trade with a carry permit holder. I have a 9mm that my wife does not like (it was my ex's).

11. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

What is it?

12. GaMatt72

GaMatt72 New Member

A older Ruger P89. I want to get a 22 target rifle or something. Lol