selling on Ebay....

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by winds-of-change, Oct 20, 2012.

1. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Has anyone here ever sold things on Ebay. I am cleaning out my garage and I have some items I would like to sell. I have some Carnival glass figurines, a metal pedal car from the late 50's/early 60's, some hubcaps, nice TI calculators, children's toy snowboard and ski's, etc.

I'm not sure how to go about selling/shipping these items on Ebay, especially the pedal car.

Please share your experiences with me. Maybe I can make enough extra money to buy that Henry Lever I want so bad. :cool:

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I sell alot on Ebay(mostly gun parts). I try to sell only small, easy ship items('cause I'm lazy). I use only USPS flat-rate boxes and envelopes(super easy).

3. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

selling on Craigslist is free ;)

4. bkt

bkt New Member

Not sure about ebay but I can always wring the info out of my son if necessary. :)

I'd like to think you could take pictures of your stuff and post it here - maybe we can help you out without the overhead ebay charges.

5. winds-of-change

None of the items I have for sale are gun related items.

6. astroman

astroman Supporting Member Supporter

+1 on the Craigslist deal - sold a bunch of stuff that way lately - we just moved recently to smaller house and sold a formal dining room set today, some bar stools, lamps, bedroom set, etc - Not making millions, but it beats putting the stuff in storage just to toss out one day... Just keep in mind that CL attracts alot of undesireables as well - I often will meet people at public place to sell rather than have them come to my house.

7. bkt

bkt New Member

Understood. I suggest a "Garage Sale" forum where folks can post whatever they have for sale that isn't gun-related. There should be no liability to the forum itself; every sale is an agreement between seller and buyer and that's it.

8. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

I'm still not-sure how Pay-pale works ???....:confused:...

9. BigB

BigB Active Member

You link it to a bank account, credit card, etc or both. It's all secure and easy. It's mainly for buy it now, and some sellers only accept Paypal.

10. winds-of-change

I swear, it's magic. That's how I explain things I don't understand. Kind of like the tooth fairy, etc.

Not necessarily only for "Buy it Now" items. I pay for all my ebay purchases on Pay Pal, even if it was through bidding. You can also pay for a lot of other things with Pay Pal that you buy online. What I like about Pay Pal is if you have a problem with an item you bought or the seller, Pay Pal will fight it for you.

11. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

Craigslist is full of weirdos do make sure to meet in an open public place like a coffee house, pizza parlor etc.

eBay is fairly easy to use. They walk you through the listing process and listing fees are usually under a dollar. eBay is great for the smaller stuff, but if you put the pedal car on there be prepared to charge a lot for shipping. It can be shipped, just for a price.

Craigslist is the ideal place for the pedal car. Most other stuff can go on Ebay.

If those TI calculators are graphing calculators, they WILL sell fast. Start them at $25 and watch em go for 35-40.

12. donthav1

donthav1 Well-Known Member

i buy & sell alot of stuff on ebay, been on there since '99.

first thing to remember is take enough pictures, if there are scratches, dents, paint loss, etc., try to get a picture of it & mention it in the listing. yeah it may cost a bit extra but usually prevents the people from complaining or using it as an excuse to try & get their money back.

always ship with either delivery confirmation or a tracking number. through the years i've had a few people claim to never receive the item & ask for a refund. when i tell them i have confirmation it was delivered, they quickly say thank you & that's the end of it.

start the bidding price a bit lower than what you want to get out or it, ie: if you want $100 for something, start the price around $75. people are more willing to bid if it starts lower than if it starts near the value of the item

i use USPS to ship most anything i sell because they're the cheapest & most convenient for me. shipping prices on bigger items have gone through the roof in the last few years, so craigslist might be a better option for the pedal car & large items like that

13. winds-of-change

I was more worried about protecting the buyers I could attract on Craigslist from the weirdo like ME! Hahaha........

As for the awesome TI graphic calculator, I some had sold on ebay for around $40-50, Then I texted my kids about it and my oldest son said, "I was wondering where that went. I thought I lent it to someone and never got it back," So I told him he can have it back for $35 storage fee. :D I also have some shelf speakers.

I also have a couple old Schwinn bicycles and some of these scooters. Remember these? My kids had them about 20 years ago. I don't see them anymore.

I have about 3 of these.... and one of the smaller scooters.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  14. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

Lol :D Those calculators are a pain considering a new one is $100+. They are well worth your "storage fee" :)

Some of those old pedal cars can be worth a ton. I saw one go on American Pickers for like $500+.

15. winds-of-change

I'm not really going to charge my son for his calculator. LOL

My pedal car is from about the late 50's/early 60's and is not that rare. It does need some rehab work. This similar to what I have......it's a Murray "Dude Wagon".......srsly. LOL This is not my actual item but just like it. Mine has some rust on it.

Seriously, who doesn't want a "Dude Wagon"?

Attached Files:

16. astroman

astroman Supporting Member Supporter

the one thing that I dont like about paypal (which ive used countless times) is that it defaults to your bank (checking) acct - I prefer it to default to a credit card - this allows me the extra 30 or so days to pay for something since I wait for the CC bill to arrive. Plus, I believe this gets you additional protection from fraud as most credit card companies will fight on your behalf easier than your bank will - (paypal also is good too) so, what i always do is when going thru the paypal process to purchase something, I just change the payment option to use my credit card instead.

17. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

I didn't think you would charge him. And yes Dude Wagons are the coolest! :D And the scooters and stuff should do alright. Looks like you can almost smell the factory grease on that Golden Boy!

18. winds-of-change

Not Golden Boy.........youth model Henry Lever. I'm very short and have trouble finding a rifle with a LOP short enough for me.

I also have one of these, though this is not my child and our car is red. It is front wheel drive but steers from the back. It's a Little Tikes pedal car now discontinued but made in the late 80's/early 90's. My youngest had a BLAST on this thing.

Attached Files:

19. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

Well no matter the Henry at least your closer to ownership. The Little Tikes pedal cars were cool. I had one when I was very young, and it was pretty cool. I'm sure a new parent that remembers their pedal car would want that one for their child.

20. Yunus

Yunus Active Member

Those TI calculators confuse me. I buy a cell phone that costs $500 without subsidy, 1 year later I can buy it on craigslist for $30. But a TI-84 that is 10 years old is still worth $50 or half it's original cost!

My cell phone has about 4000x the processing power and it's touch screen and capable of doing pretty much anything the calculator is?!?