Selling of guns from my collection

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by t-rav, Jul 19, 2011.

1. t-rav

t-rav New Member

How could I go about making sure that private sells of my guns are made legally and how could I go about making sure they are a state citizen and not a felon.

2. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

You can ask for their driver's license. Whether they are a felon or not...all you can do is ask and rely on their answer. Have a bill of sale and incorporate both info/certification in it.

3. t-rav

t-rav New Member

Should I write up a document stating the fact they are a citizen and not a felon with my bill of sale just to be safe>

4. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

1. You could go through a ffl dealer and all that would be taken care of for you for about $20 or so.

2. You could require a concealed carry permit to purchase. Then you will know they aren't a felon. Plus you could get a copy.

3. Fill out a bill of sale, get a copy of their drivers license, etc..

BUT, you're in Texas! You could sell them in the paper to anyone of legal age. :p

5. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

The responsibility is yours when you sell from your private collection. Personally, I only sell to people I know from my gun club, neighbors, friends and folks I've known for more than the thirty seconds it takes for them to introduce themselves.

You could always see if they had a CCL...

6. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

Echoing what others have said, best bet is a CCW or an FFL transfer. Only way to REALLY make sure. Although CCW's can be forged.....so FFL is the 100% way to cover your own butt. If it comes back that they forged the documents at the FFL, its on them, not you.

7. t-rav

t-rav New Member

So I can write up a bill of sale for myself and then have my pawn shop transfer the gun to them and Im good to go> I don't mind them having to pay 20 bucks to make sure they can pass the background.

8. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

You don't have to write the bill of sale, the dealer will do the transfer for a fee of $20 or so, depending.

He will have to fill out a form and pass the NCIC check. The firearm is now transferred from you to him.

9. t-rav

t-rav New Member

Well I want to bill of sale for my document purposes.

10. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

If it will make you feel better why not. I like knowing who bought the gun in case of a problem later so I will check/ask for an ID at the very least.

BTW, the only gun I sold is to my brother-in-law so my experience is very limited :D

If interested, PM me your email address and I will send you a copy of a firearm Bill of sale (tonight).

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  11. t-rav

t-rav New Member

I like keeping records of all transactions that I do. So having a bill of sale would help my record keeping.

But to clear it up, having the gun transferred again to the buyer would cover anything and everything>

12. Rmason2008

Rmason2008 New Member

My local gun shop will allow you to sell items on consignment. You would have to share a part of the proceeds, but they do the all of the paperwork and also have lots of customers looking for used guns.

Nothing to worry about on your end and the items sell quickly. Could be an option at a store close to you as well.

13. t-rav

t-rav New Member

I would rather just full out sell the gun and have it transferred than have have the shop sell it for me.

14. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

For your peace of mind request I.D. and a bill of sale. Just my 2 pennies.

15. t-rav

t-rav New Member

Would I be safe just transferring the gun using my ffl>

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

i make buyers go through a ffl dealer that way its legally theirs and the chain of custody reflects such. so if something naughty happens with a gun i used to own the feds wont come knocking at my door.

17. t-rav

t-rav New Member

I can just have them pay the transfer fee and everything is gravy after that then?

18. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

As others have stated having an FFL act as transferring agent gets a NICS background check. This will identify any felons or non-citizens. Even if the NICS screws up it is not your problem. Also the FFLs bound volume and the 4473 will support the transfer of the firearm so that any BATF trace doesn't lead to your door.

19. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

Call your FFL to make sure what the transfer fee is, here its 30 bucks, other places its 20 bucks. Other than that, thats one of the services they provide, to do a legal and problem avoiding transfer of firearms. IMO, that is 100% the way I would go.

20. Rarity

Rarity New Member

It is much safer to go through an FFL when you are transferring. You can also ask the person to fax/email their state I.D so that you can verify their age and residence if you do not have that information.

You necessarily do not have to, but FFL is much safer.