Selling firearms

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by xcoreyyyx, Aug 5, 2012.

1. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

Didn't know exactly where to put this. Sounded like a legal issue to me. I do not know the rules and regulations of selling multiple firearms. Didn't know if there was a certain time limit there is supposed to be before selling another unregulated firearms. I am getting rid of practically all of mine except for the select few I shoot. Saddens me to do so but times are tight. Any ideas? Live in MD and all firearms are unregulated rifles/shotguns.

2. Rarity

Rarity New Member

Hi, Corey.

When selling multiple firearms in Maryland, whether they be regulated or non regulated, as long as you ship your firearms to a licensed FFL you should be fine.

This isn't legal advice, although I am sure you have nothing to worry about as far as shipping it to the buyers local FFL.

3. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

All sales will be made locally Face to Face private sales. (Sorry I didn't mention that in the first place)

4. Rarity

Rarity New Member

First you want to make sure the firearm isn't regulated. When you have that down, please check to see if the person is prohibited from purchasing a firearm or not.

Make sure you have the persons Drivers License/State ID and if anything seems off about the person, just leave. A bill of sale is very important to have also, it can save your butt.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

As an unlicensed person, you may sell to a FFL in any state. FTF sales can only be made to a fellow resident of your home state. If you are in MD, and buyer is from VA or PA, NO.

You are permitted under Federal law to make "casual sales", such as disposing of a collection. That is not considering "engaging in the business".

Not that you asked, but would do a 2 copy bill of sale, your name and address, THEIR name and address, description of gun. You BOTH sign, each gets a copy.

6. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

Last time I sold a firearm, I printed off a bill of sale and had the serial number and everything on there as well as both signatures and both of us got copies. Also, I know about the same state residents. All of the firearms have been checked off the list as unregulated. I was just wondering if I had to take my time between sales or if I could just list them all in the classifieds at once.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

No pacing of sales required under Fed rules. Just do not buy gun, sell it, buy gun and sell it, etc etc etc. Or buy 5 of one, immediately sell 4 of them, etc. THAT would be "engaging in the business".

8. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

Ok, thanks again for the help c3 like usual. and thank you for all other input.