Selling a handgun in cali! Help!

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by lilpablo1120, Jun 8, 2012.

1. lilpablo1120

lilpablo1120 New Member

So i know how you have to do it through an ffl dealer and all that paper work...but i was wondering if there was a legal way around that or like a grey area...i need a car bad and i have no cash and this guy wants my gun and i dont really want 2 ask him to pay for the fees and everything. So i guess is there a way around doing all the paper work and fees and what not...

2. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I hope nobody advises how you can "go around the law" here :confused:
    Check local laws FGS - You may can trade/sell it to him FTF legal---
    Go by the law or walk- Just my 2 bits -----------------------

3. lilpablo1120

lilpablo1120 New Member

Im not saying going around the law...i know him...its not like hes gonna run off and kill someone with it...i dont have any money...im 22 years old and i need a ****ing car for work *******...i guess if you dont have an answer for my question dont post on my thread thanks

4. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

I want to sell a gun to another person, i.e., a private party transfer. Am I required to conduct the transaction through a licensed California firearms dealer?
    • Yes. Firearm sales must be conducted through a fully licensed California firearms dealer. Failure to do so is a violation of California law. The buyer (and seller, in the event that the; buyer is denied), must meet the normal firearm purchase and delivery requirements. "Antique firearms," as defined in Section 921(a)(16) of Title 18 of the United States Code, and curio or relic rifles/shotguns, defined in Section 178.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations that are over 50 years old, are exempt from this requirement.

Firearms dealers are required to process private party transfers upon request. Firearms dealers may charge a fee not to exceed $10 per firearm for conducting a private party transfer. Example:
      1. For a private party transfer involving one or more handguns, the total allowable fees, including the DROS, safety, and dealer transfer fees, are not to exceed $35.00 for the first handgun and $31.00 for each additional handgun involved in the same transaction.
      2. For private party transfers involving one or more long guns, or a private party transfer involving one handgun, the total allowable fees, including the DROS, safety, and dealer transfer fees, are not to exceed $35.00. The dealer may charge an additional dealer-service fee of$10.00 per each additional firearm transferred.
    http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs#14

Apparently no face-to-face sales in CA. You could eat the $35 in fees yourself.

5. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Sorry, if he wants the gun, he'll do the required song & dance to make it all legal.
    We're not talking about a small thing here, legally transferring a gun in the Peoples Republic of Kolifornia requires certain steps. Bypassing them could ruin both your lives. Worth it? I think not.

6. lilpablo1120

lilpablo1120 New Member

See thankyou jpyle...that was a much more helpful answer

7. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

You got a answer-----
    You may go now :rolleyes:

BTW- I've done at least a half a hundred FTF here in Texas & TWO have come back to my dealer (cause they were in MY name as last owner) as involved in a homicide - Don't tell me he ain't gonna kill somebody! How do you know! :mad:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  8. lilpablo1120

lilpablo1120 New Member

So that says if its 50 years old its exempt for having to go through a ffl dealer...is that right? Cuz the gun im trying to sell is well about 100 years old

9. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

If it a antique thats different in MOST states - Find out the law in your state=
    Its just not good to ask these type question on a forum- You get OPINIONS -

10. lilpablo1120

lilpablo1120 New Member

Ok...sorry for getting pissed hossfly... Hes one of my friends and i have no money to buy his rig or pay for the fees. Just trying to have him gain owership of it without asking him to do all that stuff because it bit turn him away from wanting to give me it...but if thats what has to happen then i guess we'll both have to deal with it lol

11. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I understand- PLEASE bite the bullet & find out what is legal- Not worth 25yrs in jail for a ride------:(
    Good luck---

12. wjnfirearms

wjnfirearms New Member

The biggest issue is that there are the laws for firearm sales/transfers in 49 states, and then there's Cali. The California DOJ regulates firearm sales in their state and the laws are much more restrictive than in the others. Any handgun transfer requires FFL intervention in all states, so it's very likely that even though the gun is quite dated as you say, it'll require intervention of a licensed dealer. If the gun is 50 years old, as I believe you said, it puts it as a 1960s vintage and this doesn't fall under C&R guidelines. Even if it's from the '50s, it's pretty unlikely that you can do an FTF sale without involving a dealer and paperwork. Being able to vouch for the character of the buyer is pretty much a moot point, whether you agree with this or not.