Sellier & Bellot ammo not allow at gun range.

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by rccalzadilla, Oct 26, 2011.

1. rccalzadilla

rccalzadilla New Member

Sellier & Bellot .45acp FMJ ammunition is not allowed at gun range. When asked why, they say that they had a fired cartridge set their range carpet on fire. Carpet still there so it did not cause great damage.
    I had other three brands of 45acp FMJ which were allowed.

The range in Miami, Florida:
    Ace's Gun Range & Pro Gun Shop Inc.
    2105 Northwest 102nd Place
    Doral, FL 33172-2519
    (305) 717-3277

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2011
  2. trip286

trip286 New Member

Many of us have good experience with Sellier and Bellot. I use it myself. I would be tempted to put it into a different box and rock n roll with it.

That's my opinion though, and I'm usually more inclined to respect the wishes of property owners. Therefor, I'd likely find a different range, or some other place to shoot.

I've only shot on two actual "ranges" There's an indoor/outdoor range in Jacksonville NC where I was stationed, and then the skeet range at the AFB in Charleston SC. All the rest of my shooting has been on private property.

3. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

They have carpeting at the firing points? Perhaps that's the problem, not any particular brand of ammo.
    I haven't shot much Sellier & Bellot ammo, but I don't recall it being remarkably flame producing, at least no worse than other full strength stuff.

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

There was carpeting at the indoor range I used to go to. It didn't cause any problems and was actually quite nice.

5. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Fire Hazard aside ;), I would imagine that it would be a PITA to keep clean.

6. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Thats what I like to run thru my 9mm , although i dont have any issues with anything else those just seem more accurate in it

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

Any bullet can start a fire. They start all the time on military ranges from plain fmj ammo. Bullets are very very hot when they hit a target. So if any bullet lodges just right its possible to cause fires.

Whats more liekly is the shooter was using tracer and blamed it the S&B.

8. rccalzadilla

rccalzadilla New Member

Well it just seems, to me, that they are over reacting to one incident. But, it's their range.

9. Mack Bolan

Mack Bolan New Member

My only experience with that is at a range here in Aurora, IL where the guy doesn't allow any non american made ammo and he even insists on checking ammo containers you bring in with you...

they have that thin carpet in the booths and lane area, but i'm not aware of any fire incidents due to bad ammo.

it actually is a nice range despite the owners finicky nature at times, i have caught him in better moods when he sent me home with some unused targets....

10. orangello

orangello New Member

I wonder if the carpet is there to preserve the empties?

11. rccalzadilla

rccalzadilla New Member

You make sense.
    There is an attendant who picks them up promptly as we shoot them.
    He may also try to pick them up before we step on them.

12. davemccarthy707

davemccarthy707 New Member

I specifically DO NOT use American ammo because it is pretty anemic. With so much litigation pending in the USA the ammo companies have downloaded all rounds which may have been around for a while. Such as 30-06, .45acp, 6.5x55, 8mm mauser. Ever shoot European 8mm or 6.5x55? It's hotter than heck!

13. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Indoor range ends up with unburned powder blanketing area forward of shooters- have swept enough of it up at end of the day. Likely carpet needed vacuuming. A spark flipping into powder in the carpet will get you into the Look Ma No Eyebrows club. His range, his rules, but nothing wrong with S&B. Might as well ban Colt's because a Colt set his carpet on fire.

Hint- yer cheap rug caught on fire because you were too cheap/ lazy to suck up the black stuff laying on it.

14. trip286

trip286 New Member

And again he chimes in with nothing but ball blistering logic:) I rarely get to hear so much sense!

15. orangello

orangello New Member

The carpet MUST be properly groomed people; the 70's are OVER!
    :p

16. powg

powg New Member

c3 has the answer

there nothing wrong with the s &b ammo .....just house keeping ... the owner should install rubber matting . I bet the carpet is bargain basement cheap s#$2t . with the possibility of static electricity .....dont take your black powder walker colt in there ! chain fire ka boom :cool:

17. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The carpet excuse was probably from someone that did not know the facts. I have had S&B 9mm rejected because it was magnetic. Steel core bullets can pierce the armor used to contain the rounds on an indoor range. If it is magnetic it is not permitted on a lot of indoor ranges. The range I go to scans all ammo with a magnet.

18. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

How about, he doesn't sell s&b ammo.

19. RufusTFirefly

RufusTFirefly New Member

I think one of the reasons indoor ranges use carpeting, is to reduce noise. (if not the main reason)

20. cswann1

cswann1 New Member

There is something really funny here......I just know it. <scratches head while pondering thoughtfully>