Sell me on a 1000+ yard setup

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by mountainman13, Oct 21, 2013.

1. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I want a one shot one kill gun.
    I'm looking for a rifle under $1000 in a relatively available caliber and an optic under $1000.
    I'm currently looking at a savage 110 in 7mm with no clue on the optic. The savage is around $600. Ability to integrate a bi-pod is a must.

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Save up for a .338 lapua. :p

3. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Any 7mm will be able to shoot 1000 yards, no matter who makes the gun.

If you want precision at 1000 yards, that's another story. Savage would not even be in the ballpark of consideration for me. A precision 1000 yard rifle is NOT something you comes straight out of a box. It's usually something that is built. For me, it would be a Remington 700 action and a Shilen or Hart barrel pillar-bedded and free-floated by a gunsmith with a custom target crown.

If you want 1000 yard optics, Swarovski for sure. Possibly Leica.

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I found one exactly how I want it. $4000 isn't gonna happen.

This is basically what I've been looking at. Not in love with the stock but the barrel is free floated.

What'd be the going rate on a custom build like you suggest? Any decent out of the box guns that might be doable?

Attached Files:

5. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Beats me. I'm.... frugal.

6. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

How about long range precision by savage, if .260 REM or 6.5 creedmore is enough power?

7. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I'm open to options. Don't think I could get creedmore in this state.

8. primer1

Savage 10/110 fcp hs precision in .300 win mag. Most of their long range rifles are in .308, which is pushing it at 1000 yards.

9. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

What would make you think you could not get a 6.5 Creedmore in your state? The 6.5 is a remarkable cartridge designed from the ground up for 1,000yd shooting, I doubt you could do any better with a hefty magnum. The Creedmore also has about three to four times the barrel life of a 7mm Rem Mag or 300 Win.

10. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I second that...

11. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

You can't hunt with a rifle here. 90% of the people around here have never even heard of 300blk . I don't think there is even a range over 300 yards. Nobody wants to pay for that kind of ammo for punching paper.

12. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I believe they make one is 300 win mag. Would that be a better option?

13. primer1

Whatever flips your trigger. If there are no ranges past 300 yards, I'm assuming you have a place to shoot. If you want to limit yourself to 7-800 yards, there are many more options. Even a ruger American in .308 or 30-06 will group under an inch, and this is a $400 rifle from wally world. That leaves you $1500 to spend on a scope. ;)

14. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I'll look into my ruger options.
    Thanks for the input guys.

15. primer1

Check out the savage models on their website. Lots of options there like adjustable stocks.

16. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

Locally available ammo never has been an issue for me, if I am shooting 1,000 yards I am not shooting Wal-Mart Power Point ammo anyway. The 6.5 CM match ammo costs less then magnums. If you cannot hunt with a rifle and there are no ranges why worry about 1,000 yard performance anyway? Makes no sense unless you plan to move.

17. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i think that someone is over pricing their rifle there. that's seems just way too high for that rifle, unless he has some really, really expensive glass on it.

Savage has some great options for shooting long range. plus, with the Savage actions, with a few tools, you could build one yourself at home, probably much cheaper than buying one.

maybe TXhillbilly will chime in on this thread. he puts together some of his own rifles built from Savage actions. and the biggest expense he has is the scope. i have personally seen a couple of his rifles in person and held them, and they are very nicely put together rifles. very impressive looking.

18. Axxe55

in the Savage Target Series, they do offer the 308 and the 223, but also have the 260 Rem. the 6.5-284 Norma and the 6 Norma.

there is team of shooters using the F-Class Savage rifles in 6.5-284 that ae pretty much stock rifles and are doing pretty well with them at a 1000 yard competitions. i think they are sponsored by Savage IIRC.

19. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

I have heard that team Savage uses stock factory rifles and they have won many a 600 yd and 1,000yd contest with them. I really like Savage actions myself though their factory barrels tend to be a bit rough in the rifling, on their cheap guns anyway, I never owned a 12 series or any heavy barrel match/varmint version.

20. Axxe55

as much as i like my Remington M700's, after meeting TXhillbilly in person and seeing his Savage rifles that he put together, i was very impressed with them. wwith a few tools and a little time a person can put togeher a nice rifle at home without having to resort to a gunsmith or a bunch of special and expensive tools to build a rifle. and Savage rifles, even stock out of the box, have an excellent reputation for being well made and accurate.