self defense while camping

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by taltamir, Jun 25, 2010.

1. taltamir

taltamir New Member

What kind of gun, and what caliber, should one carry while camping?
    In case you are attacked by a large predator, such as a bear.

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I haven't had any run ins with bears when camping. But I feel okay with my short barreled 12ga, loaded with slugs.

3. freefall

freefall New Member

I personally like a handgun in a serious caliber inside the tent with me in case the bear comes in through the side of the tent. Hard to swing even a short long gun in a tent unless it's huge (the tent). If it grabs you by the head you're just screwed, so not much point in worrying about that.

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

We have a couple of bears in some areas. You never know who or what will drop in. A rabid skunk, a couple of snakes, 2 legged varmints, or pigs. Prepare for the worse, and hope for the best.

A large caliber handgun, revolver, with a shotshell or two, and lead bullets in the cylinder.

5. taltamir

taltamir New Member

why lead?
    what is something inexpensive and relatively light/small to carry around with you at all times that can stop a bear? I wouldn't want to have to run looking for my shotgun since a bar can outrun me.

6. A5Mag12

A5Mag12 New Member

That would depend totally on the bear. A sub 200lb black bear and a 38/357 would do fine. Any bear much over that and I'll be wanting a 41/44 mag. And you need to have shot 1000 rds. through the gun before you depend on it to save your life.

7. danf_fl

Hollow points don't work too well on bear, FMJ does not deform enough. Lead is what I prefer.

8. taltamir

taltamir New Member

thank you, I will do that.

9. freefall

freefall New Member

I use 300 gr hard cast lead in my .44. Never shot a bear with it, can't say how they'll perform. Going to load up some Speer 270 gr JSPs see how they compare in unscientific test media.

10. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Bears that raid camping areas are not the nasty type. I carry my old Ontario combat knife and my .357 w/ 158gr sp's.

11. freefall

freefall New Member

I think bears that raid camping areas are precisely the nasty type.

12. jpattersonnh

Not really. Not around here. They are usually younger ones that learned a bad habit. Easy pick'ins. Common sense is in order. They are pretty shy. I took my family camping when my boys were small. We had a couple of young Black bear outside in the a.m. hours. I came out yelling w/ a blade and they ran. All the trash gets burned. I've never heard of a bear crash a tent that did not have dinner inside. They want your Cheetos or Doritos.

13. danf_fl

They are not called "wild" for nothing. I do not trust the luck of ALL being younger ones learning a bad habit.

14. jpattersonnh

Then forget fishing, playing football or catch w/ your kids and be paranoid.
    You guys must be small people. I close to match most of the bear around here in size. I lost 35 pounds. ;)
    The last 140lb guy that scewed w/ me was picked up by the neck w/ my left arm and given an option. I'm getting soft in my close to 50 years.

15. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Barnes solids. Take that to the bank.

[​IMG]

16. jpattersonnh

I use them for 7mm, .308, 8mm, and 9.3. Still rather wrestle.

17. collegekid20

collegekid20 New Member

not trying to be a downer but, uh, bear spray. blind em and run away. or to your 12 ga. with slugs

18. ScottG

ScottG New Member

Does anyone care what the rules and regs for firearms are in your favorite camping area? If firearms aren't allowed, do you carry them anyway?

I assume most campers are aware of what wild animals frequent the campgrounds. In my area we have foxes and the occasional mountain lion, but those are very few and far between. I haven't yet taken a firearm, but I have a large butcher knife and a long heavy tined sharp fork. It's a relatively crowded area, so there should be help available if needed from both kinds of varmints....

19. freefall

freefall New Member

Are you seriously saying you can subdue a 140 lb bear hand-to-hand? I'd say I'd like to see that but blood and guts makes me puke.

20. canebrake

canebrake New Member

If the entrance doesn't have a metal detector, I'm carrying, period.

Signs on doors assume you can read.