Self defense round or standard

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Fathead00, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

Does it really matter what round you are carrying? Just looking for opinions.

2. W. C. Quantrill

W. C. Quantrill New Member

Is a round cleaning patch better than a square cleaning patch? The important thing in my mind, in my guns, is a load that I can control and that I can put into the intended target accurately. A wadcutter that hits where you intend for it to, is way better than the gee whiz magnum that recoils so bad you miss, by my way of thinking.

People seem to have this aversion to pain. Loud noises and hurt seems to make them want to leave the area.

3. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

You could use a pair of vise grips to tighten the lugnuts on your car ... but the 3/4 deepwell socket was made for it.

This question is pretty old

4. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Yea its an old one...my opinion is not really. Yes hollow points or soft points will do more damage to a flesh and bone target but putting a fmj through a bg's hydraulics (heart) wont matter much. I have both hp and fmj in my carry weapon.

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Personally I carry HP +P Rangers in the summer and alternate HP with Ball in the winter when there is more clothing layers to worry about.

Most folks I know and shoot with do the same thing.

As mentioned the best round is one that you can put on target reliably but assuming all things are equal I don't want a FMJ or Ball round punching right through someone who only has a T-shirt on during an 80 degree day. ;)

JD

6. W. C. Quantrill

W. C. Quantrill New Member

I load 255 Keiths in my .45ACP, and I load 275 Keiths in my .45 Colt, and they serve the purpose for everything. I have not shot a person with the 255's, so I cannot comment on that, but I do know what they will do on hog carcasses. The 275's will shoot end for end of a large Whitetail at 75 yards. At closer range the hydraulic cavity is large on both rounds.

7. Donn

Donn Active Member

Granted, it's a well worn subject, but for those who've just tuned in it might not be. 00, you didn't say what you carried. If you're like most of us, it's likely a 9mm or .40 S&W, in which case over-penetration and thru & thru wounds are a real concern if you load FMJ. JHP or frangibles are a better option in close quarters.

8. opaww

opaww New Member

I carry a snub-nose .38 spl with 125 gr Hp's in the summer, and either my High-power with 124 gr round nose, or my .40 S&W with 180 gr flat nose in the winter. I believe in shot placement and proper penetration

9. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

Yes I carry a G35 .40 cal with standard Federal FMJs.

10. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

If you carry fmj then you are limiting the potential of the gun. You can poke nice clean .40 holes in an attacker. If you use HP rounds in a 9 mm you could start with a .355 entrance followed by an increasing diameter wound channel made by a bullet that expands to .65 to .70 cal, and uses more of its energy inside the target instead of outside the target.

Maybe that doesn't matter to some folks but since I consider most non magnum pistol rounds to be pretty marginal for counting in to stop someone quickly at all, I choose hollow points. Any edge is an improvement.

11. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

Thanks for the input I should get some defense rounds for my .40. I do have them for my 9mm, i bought some Winchester PDX1 rounds.

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Fathead, this is my opinion on SD/HD ammo for a pistol. most any of the name brand makers make good SD ammo in the JHP design, right now mine happens to be Hornady XTP ammo, and i also reload using Hornady XTP bullets in my reloads. thing is i concern myself with primarily is reliability first. i want ammo that will function everytime with not problems. the best expanding man stopper bullet is useless if it doesn't feed in your pistol. try something out and if it hits accurately and functions well in your pistol, then thats the one to use. most pistols will feed most ammo these days, but if you find one that doesn't do well, then pass it up. and JHP is much better than FMJ bullets for SD ammo. use the FMJ ammo for practice.

13. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

Cool, thanks. I always wonder what the big deal was. I looked at it if I get shot I'm not going to keep coming at you, so why get the extra power. So I'm going to buy some and try out different brands like you said.

14. trip286

trip286 New Member

230gr fmj .45 ACP.
    Like someone already mentioned, people have this strange aversion to loud noises+ pain.
    I can hit what I'm aiming at. If 7 don't ward off a two legged attacker, I've got 7 more. If that don't cut it, I have bigger problems.
    And I fully expect only a 50% hit rate AT THE BEST in a true self defense situation. Yet I'm still confident. Why? 4 years Marine Corps Infantry. Been there, done that, and not against some pansy ass little thug who was just looking for an easy target either, but against actual warriors who wanted to see me and my friends dead.

15. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Seen people shot with FMJ .38, 9mm, .45. and HP 9mm, .357, .380, and .45.

I'll choose HPs. Even the .45 does very little damage in FMJ form, compared to most HPs. Pinky sized entrace and exits with patients still pretty energetic and some walking.

I've lost a lot of faith in handguns for stopping folks reliably and efficiently.

Good website, if anyone is interested in reading detailed studies on wound ballistics and what ammo really has to do to reliably stop an attacker. Lot's of good links and articles.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/wound.htm

16. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

Just after my dad & I had gotten our concealed permits & started carrying he was approached in a parking lot by an armed guy. My dad grabbed his 9mm & aimed it at the guy thru his closed car window. He had not time or inclination to roll down the window & the guy walked back to the car where his four acomplises were & my dad left the parking lot. 5 minutes later several cop cars arrived just outside of the parking lot & took the 5 illegal alliens out of their car after one of them had shot & robbed a guy in the lot where my dad had been. All 5 were armed & my dad was thankfull he had FMJs in his pistol.
    We didn't think HPs or Glassers would have penetrated his side window had the guy continued to advance. I havn't tested HPs on auto glass, but I did help my Bro-in-law test Glasser slugs on windshields. He's the armorer for his city PD & was charged with finding a bullet that will not penetrate a car windshield. Now all that city's (Sandy City, Utah) officers cary 45ACP pistols with Glasser slugs.
    I have a different opinion than his city's leaders as far as if I want bullets to penetrate glass or not.

17. trip286

trip286 New Member

Not sure? A pellet gun will penetrate a car window. I know, I was a 6 year old idiot at one point in time.