Self defense or vigilante justice? Man shoots, kills armed robber

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Westy, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Westy

Westy New Member

This happened in Minneapolis, which is the closest inner city near me. I'm about 30 miles away, and the town I live in is rural, but almost considered a "burb" of the metro area.

I'll have to follow this one and see how it turns out. No idea if the guy was in the right or not, but I don know if I saw some ****head assaulting some lady, I'd step in and try to help. Not sure I'd chase him as described, but who knows, maybe he was trying to get the lady's purse back or something, and when he caught up to the guy, the guy pulled a gun on him.

Self defense or vigilante justice? Man shoots, kills armed robber | kare11.com

http://kstp.com/news/stories/S2339725.shtml?cat=1

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  2. gollygee

gollygee New Member

It will depend on the state law. In Texas, you do not have to retreat as they indicate in the article. Maybe you do in Minnesota. Also, news articles & police 'opinions' given to the news media are usually biased toward being anti-gun, so any facts which might justify his actions will be omitted from the story.

This is the reason that if you are involved in a shooting, say absolutely nothing to the media & if the police do not accept your statement that you 'feared for my life', just tell them you are pretty shook up & want to speak with a lawyer.

3. cuate

cuate New Member

You made a 100 on that ! Our Texas may have fewer zombies, thugs and bottom feeders than other states but our Statutes are in favor of the law abiding citizens rather than the criminals.

4. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

I think this guy is in deep ****. He chased the guy and killed him. That takes the I was in fear of my life aspect out and inserts premeditated murder.

Signing out, Alpha1victor.

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

We've already got a thread going on this, with a lot of thoughts on it.

6. Westy

Westy New Member

"We've already got a thread going on this, with a lot of thoughts on it."

On the shooting in Minnesota?

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

Yeah, I'll see if I can find it and link it.

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

9. Westy

Westy New Member

Didn't see that one! Thanks!

10. Westy

Westy New Member

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

12. Glockpotion23

Glockpotion23 New Member

This is a very interesting case. Considering that the suspect pulled his weapon first probably what change the decision. Now if the samaritan wouldve pulled his gun first, it would be a different story. Me personally, i am not sure i am that brave. This could set a precedent.

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

Bravery may have nothing to do with it.
    I wouldn't have chased the guy. Not because of being scared, but because I highly doubt a little old lady is going to be carrying something in her purse that isn't replaceable.

I've got a lot of first aid training (USMC infantry, and numerous security jobs where it's required), and I personally would have been of better service by helping the lady.

The legal aspects we were all worried about is also a consideration. I'm glad he's not getting screwed.

14. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

Im glad to hear this guy isnt being charged. I was worried for him. Not knowing the whole story, I was certin he would be charged.

Signing out, Alpha1victor.

15. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

yup. I'm with you on that one. while my training was "shoot back, find cover, THEN administer first aid" in this case, I think I would have NOT chased the guy, and made sure the lady was ok, didn't need medical attention, and then phoned the police while ensuring the suspect did not return should he decide to "leave no witnesses" now, if I was walking along, and the suspect happened to run in my direction and I didn't have to "go out of my way" to stop him, I might tackle him and try to restrain him, but I wouldn't take off and chase him down.

16. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I would say that man is doing a good public service, no telling what that man would have done next, for all we know he could have gotten away with this crime ran a few blocks down and murdered someone.

I say he did people a favor by taking out a clear threat to the health of the general public. The criminal was nothing but a vulture praying on those that could not defend them selves in my eye's he got what he deserved.

17. Westy

Westy New Member

Looks like his sister who is now charged is a peach too:

1/1 FINANCIAL TRANSACTION CARD FRAUD MINNEAPOLIS PD PROBABLE CAUSE PROB CAUSE 36 HOURS EXPIRED $0
    HOLD W/O BAIL ..
    1/2 AGGRAVATED ROBBERY MINNEAPOLIS PD PROBABLE CAUSE PROB CAUSE 36 HOURS EXPIRED $0
    2/1 AGGRAVATED ROBBERY MINNEAPOLIS PD PROBABLE CAUSE PROB CAUSE FORMALLY CHARGED $250,000
    BAIL REVISED/DC 10/31/2011..13:30 DOWNTOWN Address
    2/2 AGGRAVATED ROBBERY-1ST DEGREE MINNEAPOLIS PD PROBABLE CAUSE FELONY $0
    10/31/2011..13:30 DOWNTOWN Address
    2/3 AGGRAVATED ROBBERY-1ST DEGREE MINNEAPOLIS PD PROBABLE CAUSE FELONY $0
    10/31/2011..13:30 DOWNTOWN Address

18. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Good news. The perp drew a weapon...it's justified.