Self defense long gun

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by txpossum, Apr 10, 2014.

1. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I have decided (I think) that my next purchase should be a long gun dedicated to self defense. Now, I don't feel under-armed, but I don't HAVE a long gun whose primary function is self defense (well, okay, I have a couple of what used to be call "riot guns", but let's pretend they don't exist. I'm looking for an excuse to buy a new gun).

I really don't want an AR in .223. If it's a rifle, I'd like it to be in a larger caliber (yes, I know the reasons one should get a .223. I'm ignoring them), and am considering a MIA, but am open to other suggestions. The exception to not wanting a .223 would be a mini-14, as I have a bunch of hi-cap mags for one.

However, I am also interested in the Saiga 12, but have read conflicting reviews. Anyone with actual experience with one?

I'd also even consider a (yep, y'all know it) an M-1 Garand, as I have a bunch of clips for it also.

So . . . let's try to keep the price under about $1200. What would you recommend?

2. Airborne1

Airborne1 Member

Good choice, but you might consider and M-14 also, if you can find on for that price. I got lucky and a friend is willing to sell me his M-14 for $1200.

3. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

I believe Ruger makes a Mini in 6.8 SPC. (Not Sure of Model) with the budget you have in mind you could likely get the 6.8 Mini and a used Mini-14 so you can use your mags.

4. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I have experience with the M -14, and like it also. It would be a consideration.

5. GTX63

GTX63 New Member

I have never considered a Mini 14 as in indoor sd weapon; I supposed the layout and size of the house would have to be considered. I do love the feel, grip, sighting and ease of handling, even moreso than my ARs. Fine gun.

6. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

My AR was the HD rifle. I switched to my AK 47 as soon as I got it. Any .30 caliber round will do. Make someone into Swiss cheese. ;)

7. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Consider a pistol caliber semiauto carbine, such as the Beretta CX4 in .45 ACP. They are the best at close range.

8. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I'm not worried about an indoor HD weapon; I'm talking about something for the zombie apocalypse.

9. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Want something for over 50 yards. . I have pistols for HD and close range; scoped bolt actions for longer ranges, but want what is sometimes called (not by me) a "battle rifle".

10. bigjim

bigjim New Member

TX, in reading your posts it is un-clear what you consider a self-defense gun? Over 50 yards? Not a 223? Not long range?

Under $1,200 puts you just out of range of something like the new DPMS GII AP4 in 308 $1,499 MSRP, I believe around $1,300 in stores. You could get a DPMS LR-308T at MSRP of $1,189.00.

If you are considering a M-14 or M1A I think those too will be above your price range ($1,400-$1,500) and I would seriously consider the GII.

While I doubt that you will ever run across a group of flesh eating two legged un-dead an AR-15 in 6.8 SPC would take care of four legged flesh eaters without any problems in the 50 to 200 yard range.

Good Luck on your gun hunt and remember to shoot straight.
    Jim

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  11. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

I've got my stag arms in 6.8 spc as my zombie killer it has 25 round mags and bullet grain is around the 110 range and it is pretty good out to around 300 meter I got mine for a little over $800 it's a great self defense moderate range rifle

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

12. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

All of mine are for self defense, Long or Short !.................

13. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

The old M-1 carbine may fit the bill for you possum,, light, handy, and I would think better ammo is on the market versus the old hardball stuff and it definitely would not go threw as many walls as a 7.62x51 round for certain,, plus they are just fun to shoot.

14. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Got to watch my spelling,, ballgame on the tube.

15. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

The M-1 Garand is definitely the worst choice you could make. This is a 30-06 with a walloping kick to it. Even the US Army found out it was too big soon after they issued it in WW2, so they even came up with their own carbine to solve the problem -- the M1 Carbine (which fires 30 cal "carbine" ammo).

Ergo, an M-1 CARBINE would be your first good choice.

However the 5.56x45mm is about 25% bigger and better than the 30 Carbine.

Ergo, like you said -- 223 (which is actually .224") would be another good choice.

And of the 5.56x45's the Ruger Mini's are the best -- a real battle carbine -- unlike the AR's -- which still to this day jam very easily when you shoot them a lot -- for a couple of hours.

Ruger also makes another AR design in .308 -- if you want to go that route -- which is still a very heavy caliber for a "self defense carbine." But it is an infinitely BETTER choice than an M-1 Garand would be.

As for an M1A (civilian M-14), this would also be an excellent choice. Just very heavy -- a very heavy long gun.

Attached is a photo of my Ruger Mini 14 Ranch, scoped, and my most recent target. MOA's vary from 1.5 to 2.5 depending on how warm the barrel has become from shooting.

Attached Files:

16. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

The M1 Carbine is a great option, small, light, low recoil, and despite what most people say, a pretty good SD/HD round. The SKS is a good option as well, just a little long. The AK series is good too, shorter than the SKS, same round (which is a good HD/SD round too) and reliable as can be. IMHO.

17. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Okay, to clarify things. I don't want a small, light gun. I want something substantial. I have owned about 5 M-1 carbines in my life, and always wind up selling them. I have owned a Mini-14 before, and was okay with it, but never came to love it. I had a M-1 Garand years ago, and like a fool wound up selling it, but I enjoyed shooting it. Basically, I want something with more ummph than a .223 or a 7.62 x 39, and more accurate than a Mini-14. It would be for use, say, from 50 to 150 yards. The M1A would fit the bill, but I wander if there or more options out there that I haven't thought of.

What I would really like is an old HK 91, but can't afford one.

But . . . no comments on the Saiga 12? I know it won't reach out much more than 50 yards, but am still interested in how it performs, as some reviews praise it, and other's pan it.

Oh, and I've also owned a couple of Russian SKS's (I paid about $150 each for 'em, which tell you how long ago that was), which were okay, but not looking for one.

18. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I had an early Mini-14, and it was not as accurate as yours. I hear they have improved in the newer models.

19. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

According to the wiki on them, they shut down and re-tooled their entire factory.

Now their Mini's shoot a lot better. I posted the target data to give you a precise insight.

The triggers are heavy coming from the factory, but some people have a gunsmith lighten them, and they have reported closing the MOA to about 1.75.

I like a heavy shotgun-like trigger on a Zombie gun however, because when you need to use it your adrenaline will be pumping anyway, just like a battle rifle or a defense handgun.

But if you did not like your earlier Mini, then maybe the M1A 308 is the perfect way to go, for you. For me it would be too heavy. For you it might be just right.

20. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I'm more concerned about the fact that one needs an excuse to buy a gun rather than the chose of weapon???:D