Self defense ammo

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by kmglocks, Jul 22, 2012.

1. kmglocks

kmglocks New Member

Curious as to what everyone carries and why. I carry Winchester Ranger bonded 124 grains (9mm) because of bullet board comparisons and other people's experiences with them. Also, I read a great article about them in guns and ammo magazine.

2. lyodbraun

lyodbraun New Member

Did some testing of my own into balistic gel and I carry Winchester's Ranger T's and Federal HST. All 230gr .45 there performance was great and expansion was alot better than other brands.

ForumRunner_20120722_115032.jpg

Left to right PDX1, Gold dot, Ranger T, and federal HST.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012

3. ryguy00

ryguy00 New Member

Add me in for the winchester rangers. Bonded 180gr in 40 here. But soon to be switching to 155gr due to supply.

For 9mm i like the speer gold dot 115's and 230 gr rangers again in my 45.

4. KeysKelly

KeysKelly New Member

I vary with each gun. I tested several in the guns I carry to see what each gun likes. In my .40 Subcompact XD I like Golder Saber 165 grain. In my .357 Mag snubby I like Hornady XTP 125 grain. In my P3AT I like Gold Dot. In my Kimber I like Seller & Bellot 230 grain FMJ Ball.

Trying a box of 4 or 5 protection ammos in your carry gun is the best way to determine. You could have two of the exact same guns; same make, model, year manfactured and they will like different ammos. It is an expensive experiment but it might save your life one day. You don't want to learn your gun jams with a certain ammo when you're in a gun fight. Plus, it's fun.

5. kmglocks

kmglocks New Member

Nice, thanks!

6. kmglocks

kmglocks New Member

Well from my experience and testing the winchester ranger seems to be a fave. The hydroshocks look pretty nasty ho!

7. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

I go for the rangers and PDX1 for all my defense guns.

8. jsimion423

jsimion423 New Member

All my guns have Hornady Zombie Max ammo. You just never know! Lol I like the expansion of the round.

9. lyodbraun

lyodbraun New Member

Here is some more pics of some tested rounds. Left to right.
    .40 zombie max; .40 Hornady tap, .45 Ranger T, Federal HST, Speer Gold dot, Ranger JHP. which is basically same as PDX1 imo....

ForumRunner_20120722_215210.jpg

10. lyodbraun

lyodbraun New Member

Just one more pic of the same rounds and with a .45 PDX1 on the far right ...
    ForumRunner_20120722_215904.jpg

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  11. kmglocks

kmglocks New Member

Man the federal and winchester look sick!

12. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

Big fan of the new Hornady Critical Duty rounds. 125gn is what I carry in mine.

13. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

Here is what I carry.
    Handguns
    .45 Auto--Winchester Ranger 230grain
    .44mag people 200gr Gold dot 44Spl / Game 240gr soft points
    .40S&W Winchester Ranger 180 or 165 grain
    .357sig 125gr Gold Dot
    9mm Winchester Ranger +P+ 127gr talons
    .357Mag 135 grain Gold Dots
    .38spl 110gr federal +P+JHP or 135 gr Gold Dots
    Shotguns
    #4Buck or 00Buck Rifled Slugs in extreme circumstances

14. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Hornady Critical Duty, but just like any other ammo, you MUST try different types to find out what works in your gun. I had a gun one time that fired hard ball and hollow point ammo flawlessly, but when I used a very expensive, highly-developed defense round made by a reputable company, the grouping blew up horribly! Just because a round is expensive or popular does NOT mean it works well in your gun. Buy four or five types of ammunition in the same category (like highly developed self-defense rounds) and shoot them before depending on them to save your life. If I hadn't test fired, I'd be in a lot of trouble for using those first rounds I tried! :)

15. mayscat44

mayscat44 New Member

G19: 147g Federal Hydra-Shock
    G23: Hornady Zombie Max (I know, I know)
    1911: 230g Federaral Hydra-Shock
    Sounds like I need to give those Ranger T's a try

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  16. Nat_Turner

Nat_Turner New Member

What about dpx 45? Those expand well. I stack my 40 and 45 with DPX, Guard Dog EFMJ, and PDX1. EFMJ is basically for the winter because of the coats bad guys wear. Most JHP do no expand when hitting fabric that can clog the cavity. I may change the PDX1 because of the pictures I saw in this forum. I really love my copper DPX because of the 99.5 % weight retention more so that lead or other metal bullets.

17. yogiboobooranger

yogiboobooranger New Member

That .45 Ranger T really looks menacing doesn't it? Just wondering how it would fair going thru a couple layers of winter clothing..i.e., Heavy parka and maybe a heavy shirt and undershirt beneath. Just wondering if the slug would open prematurely and then fail to penetrate deep enough to hit vitals..just thinking out loud here, I have no way of experimenting.

18. ryguy00

ryguy00 New Member

If anything, the cavity would be plugged and the projectile would not expand. If that is the case, then basically it would become a fmj in performance. Still plenty of penetration

19. mdauben

mdauben New Member

I like either Speer Gold Dot or Federal HST (124gr +P in my 9mm and 230gr in my .45ACP). These are both good performers in most testing but are also available in relatively economical 50 round packages. Win-win!

20. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

My department just started issuing Federal HST so now I'm carrying that in my G22 for duty...seems the be great stuff. I still carry the Rangers or PDX1 in my personal guns off duty.