Self defence 22LR rifle vs 9mm handgun

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by rman598, Jan 8, 2014.

1. rman598

rman598 New Member

These probably wouldnt be your first picks but lets say for home defense its down to these two. Which would you pick up?

2. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

hmmm...interesting question. may i ask...why you are asking this?

imo, for HOME defense....9mm pistol all day long. within the range you would be talking about i can't see a 22 rifle being a good option unless it was the only option you had.

just my 2 cents.

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have to agree with Hawkguy. the 22 rifle is a poor choice if you have the option of a 9mm pistol. the 22 rifle is something you use when you have no other options and it's better than nothing.

4. hawkguy

don't make it sound so painful, axxe! :p

5. hawkguy

well, i dunno. if the question was "as an overall weapon"...i might have to give it real thought.

but home defense? a 22 carries poor stopping power, in a rifle it wouldn't be the best in terms of maneuverability, you can't conceal a rifle.....i don't see a 22 rifle as being a good choice for HD in any manner. again...if its all you have....it'll do.

6. Axxe55

it was actually quite painful to think i agreed with you about something!:eek:

JK Hawkguy!:D

7. hawkguy

heh....well, that hurts, considering you are my firearm forum role model. :(

is it ok if i call you dad? :eek:

8. Axxe55

depends on how old you are! :p call me gramps, and we are going to have a problem!:p

9. hawkguy

i would NEVER call you anything you didn't like....i have an suspicion that your gun collection is likely far more impressive than my own....i'll just stick to "yes sir!" when i respond you. :p

but here we are again....drifting another thread.....

i may be a young spring chicken, but its time to get some sleep. another day, another dollar (almost literally :p).

goodnight, mr. axxe!

10. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Could depend on the used and their experience with each. But I'm going with the 9mm, if those at my choices.

Someone with limited strength for operating a slide, or recoilsy be better off with the .22. Shooters across more skill levels may find it easier to get good hits with the .22 though.

11. Axxe55

ya young whippersnapper, needing too much sleep!:D

back on track. in a rifle a 22 will pick some velocity over it being shot from a pistol. but a 9mm has way more energy than a 22 has without a doubt. life or death choices, i'll use whatever i have available to defend myself with, but if i have options, i am going with the best i have available.

12. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

I would choose the 9mm but like Doc said the .22 is easy to fire, no recoil, and easy to get multiple shots on target. Plenty of cases where a .22lr stopped an intruder or person intending harm.

13. JW357

JW357 New Member

9mm

Sent from my NX007HD using Firearms Talk mobile app

14. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

The .22 lr from a rifle is nothing to sneeze at! Energy is about like a .38 Special from a handgun. Rifles are much easier for most people to shoot, too.

15. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Add a 22 WMR into the mix I would take the 22 wmr. Your average 9mm load will have 380 ft lb of energy. The 22 wmr will have 310 ft lb of energy. Plus with rifle I can pick the buttons off his shirt in pressure situation.

16. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Since I have both and have NEVER considered the .22lr rifle for HD, the 9mm wins in my house.

17. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

+1 on the 9MM. And it probably HAS been considered a lot of people's 1st choices…..

18. Vincine

Vincine New Member

You could swing a 22lr rifle like bat. I think bats are the most used weapon in homiciides.

19. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

When the quote "Use your handgun to fight your way to your rifle" is used, most people are not talking about fighting their way to a .22lr rifle!:rolleyes:

20. hawkguy

oh, i have no doubt a 22 will kill someone effectively. its the stopping power that concerns me. will a hit from a 22 stop an aggressive individual at short range before they reach you? again, if its your only gun, or the only gun you feel like you effectively shoot with.....it'll do in a pinch. if the 22 rifle was a short barreled semi-auto, i would feel a bit better about it.

at short range in tight spaces....a short barreled shotgun is my choice, followed by respectable caliber pistol loaded with hollow points.

and if the final choice is 9mm or 22.....i gotta think i have better overall chances with the 9mm.