Selector Detent will not fit in lower

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by v757b, Oct 21, 2012.

1. v757b

v757b New Member

I am building a lower from an Anderson stripped lower and a PSA parts kit. When I try dropping the safety detent into the hole, it will not drop in all the way. It is stuck halfway. To me, it looks like the hole is not drilled right. Could I just hit with a drill and bit, or what should I do? Thank you.

[​IMG]

2. Tenderribbs

Tenderribbs New Member

Do you have a set of. Punches ? Try slipping your punch in and see If its blocked or has a spur in the hole do not use a hammer

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I agree with Tender, I would try a thin, metal punch first and see if there isn't something small blocking.

As for a drill and bit, perfectly viable, but I would stress a steady hand and great care. ;)

4. v757b

v757b New Member

Thanks! I just tried the punch deal.

I think what the problem is, is that there is a lip inside the hole so that the selector detent rim will sit on the lip down there, correct? It seems like the lip it not centered so the detent's point is just sitting on the lip. Any idea how to fix that? Maybe a small rat-tail file?

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Small rat tail file would be a good start. I would discourage any sort of drill or Dremel. Too easy to take off too much, too quickly I am afraid.

6. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

the hole is supposed to be the same size all the way through (no shelf). it was probably misdrilled. run a drill (same size as hole) completely through it.

7. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This. No big deal easy fix

8. v757b

v757b New Member

Great!! Thank you very much. I wonder why the detent has a rim? That seems useless.

Just as a review, the Anderson company seems to not be very good, at least in my case. Those mars in the picture weren't even from me. Looks like it was anodized over those mars, and the selector detent hole wasn't drilled right. I wouldn't mind if this was a Blem...but it's not, so that's kind of lame.