Seen in an anti assault weapons post.

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by konrado, Jan 21, 2013.

1. konrado

konrado New Member

As I was reading posts by anti an assault rifle person, their argument was that ARs were easy to convert to full auto. Besides being illegal I don't think that can be done. I didn't respond to them because I didn't have enough knowledge to back up the argument against their post.

2. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

If someone has enough knowledge and the right tools just about any semiauto could be converted. But it would be illegal.

But your average gun person would more than likely end up with a gun that would start shooting and keep shooting even if they werent still pulling the trigger. It is not a simple as most people thing it is.

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Converting an AR to an automatic takes serious machinery and skill. You need to have years of experience as a machinist, gunsmith and micro-welder. It is not worth the trouble to do it.

4. konrado

konrado New Member

Thanks thats what I thought.

5. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Everyone thinks its so easy bc once upon a time you could buy a drop In trigger that made it full auto. But the ATF quickly dropped the hammer on things like that.

6. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Yes...you can convert a semi auto to full auto, but it's only a little bit easier than just making your own gun. Seriously. in the days of CNC machines and 3D printers, you could just the same make a gun....

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

One of the great lies- That you can convert an AR15 to full auto with one drop in part, and you can buy those parts anywhere- no paperwork- for a dollar or two.

Truth- there are several parts that are different between the AR and M16. Matter of fact, ANY gun that is "readily convertible" to full auto fire is already regulated/prohibited by the rules of the BATFE.

Yes, you would need a machine shop to convert. See- the parts that you have to add- there is no place for them to fit inside the receiver- so would have to be milled out.

Can you buy a "registered sear" that will make an AR into a full auto? Yep. The part is treated the same as a machine gun, sells for several thousand $$$, requires payment of $200 tax, fingerprints, approval from your police chief, background check, etc.

They also fail to mention that short of using a registered sear, converting an AR to full auto- if you are not a licensed manufacturer, will get you 10 years, Federal pen, no parole, and a $10,000 fine.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  8. roughneck266

roughneck266 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Easier to convert a glock than an ar. Neither is actually easy to do though

9. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

It is easier to do a "Sex Change" on an AKM 47. It is not a matter of how easy it is to convert the rifle. It is better to look at the punishment for owning such a weapon.:eek:

10. AR10

AR10 New Member

I purchased a gun off of a table at a gun show, and upon test firing the weapon, it was excitable, if you get my drift. That was many years ago. I went to the next gun show, and asked what parts I need to replace to make it normal, and was sold two or three things to exchange. Don't remember what they were, but they were simple parts to replace and cost next to nothing.

I put in the new parts, and all was good.

I do not know if the gun was dirty, or worn, but I can tell you, my attention was increased when what I thought was going to be a bang, was Baaaaannnnnnggggg.

I was a FFL holder at the time. I told my inspector about it, when he dropped by, about every other year, and he just grinned, like that happens all the time. Some guns go bezerk if you just don't clean them.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  11. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Yup, and filling the mini-van's tank with Nitro-Methane will turn it into a top fuel dragster capable of turning low 5's

Some people are just too stupid to live

12. 2manyhobbies

2manyhobbies New Member

They did this with a shotgun on one of the gun shows..... took 3 experts, 2 weeks, a heap of prototype time and they basically had to scrap the original gun... So yeah any gun can be converted but you had better have a pile of cash, several experts, and someone with a federal license to manufacture or it is prison time!!!

13. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

That myth is about as annoying to me as the ignorance that causes people to think every AR people are buying are select fire or full auto.

I've lost many FB "friends" due to this flavor of stupid.

14. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Amen. Because most legitimate gun owners are also law-abiding citizens.

15. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

What about bump firing? While it's not technically full auto in a round about way it is, I don't have any experience with a bump fire stock as far as reliability.

16. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

The easiest way to convert a semi-automatic to full-auto is to watch MSNBC news reports. They seem to do it all the time.

17. canebrake

canebrake New Member

And I bet he thinks hotwiring modern cars is as simple as the way Charlie's Angels do it!

18. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

IMHO Full auto weapons are only marginally more effective in most tactical situations than a selective fire weapons.

As for fear that ppl would commit massacres w/ it: IMO it would actually it would make most crooks less effective, as they are all very untrained and would waste thier ammo resulting in fewer victims.

I am not interested in a fully auto weapon but think the NFA of 1934 needs to be repealed it was a step down a slippery slope.

19. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

charlies angels pssh! magnum PI just did red to yellow...works every time. Besides I can hotwire any car using an ipod, a used speaker voice coil, and trident layers gum. ...has to be layers though

20. Missouribound

Missouribound Active Member

Not just most.....99.99% are law abiding citizens.:)