Seeking Info on Dan Wesson or Kimber Custom

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by wmjosjr, Jan 8, 2009.

1. wmjosjr

wmjosjr New Member

Does anyone have any information regarding a Dan Wesson 45 Caliber? I am considering purchasing one and would appreciate any information. I am also considering purchasing a Kimber Custom Crimson 45. Any information regarding either handgun would be great.

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

3. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

The Kimber is American.

With my Kimber Compact II and a few years of practice, I was able to do this:

[​IMG]

That's draining a magazine into an 8" steel at 50 yards in about 10 seconds.

Here is the little beast that was my help:

[​IMG]

I defy you to find a CZ owner that can make the same claims.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I have a Dan Wesson Classic Commander Bobtail, or CBOB. It's probably the best all around 1911 I've ever owned.

Shoot both if you have an opportunity. You won't go wrong either way.

5. freefall

freefall New Member

I heart my Kimber Compact. Beats the snot out of Mrs Freefall's Colt Officers ACP. She want's a Kimber. Gun show this weekend, Wasilla high school. Woo hoo.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  6. squib

squib New Member

I shoot a Kimber Custom .45 in IPSC and if I do my part, it never lets me down. There is no reason to doubt a Kimber for any reason----sure as I say that----I need to qualify the statement. Kimber is a production gun,like most any other,however,Kimber does tout the fact that they adhere to extremely tight standards---and they do ! Be aware that ANY manufacturer MAY produce--a "Lemon". The laws of probability are always with us.Even knowing
    that, I urge you to consider a Kimber--because their "Lemons" are very,very few and far between ! I can't say that about all other manufacturers.
    Please ,take your time and research as many forums as you can find for info.. My personal nod goes to Kimber,in that ,they are known for quality and
    eventhough you have to pay for quality, a year from now, you won't be at all sorry !

7. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

I'd count the lives of me and mine to mine, as you can see. It has only malfunctioned twice. They were both at the inept hand of my wife, and she carries a scar from the second attempt.

8. wmjosjr

wmjosjr New Member

Thank you !!

I'd like to thank everyone for there input. Plesae keep them coming.

9. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

FYI, CZ owns Dan Wesson. However, they are still manufactured in upstate New York and their quality is outstanding.

Many of the parts in the CBOB are from Ed Brown. Do a little research on him and you will be impressed.

As I said earlier, they are both excellent pistols. However, I believe the CBOB is an incredible value for the price. It is much more pistol than the price would indicate.

:cool:

10. jackg

jackg New Member

I own two Kimbers and one custom built 1911 but my favorite above all others is my 2010 DW VBOB. The only thing that I didn't like were the stock G-10 thin grips on it so I switched them out for some standard thickness grips. If you do decide to buy a VBOB I would suggest you get the black "Duty Treatment" finish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I own a CBOB in 10mm and am very pleased with it.

12. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

I vote Kimber. My Custom has not malfunctioned one single time in easily two thousand rounds fired, and that is including the 500 round break in they recommend.

13. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Hey Slayer, my 10mm has a couple thousand more shot through it with not problems. Do the maintenance and any 1911a1 can easily go over 15000 rounds.

14. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

Very true, I agree. I think either pistol is a fine weapon. Last night I had to crack up. I have a new room mate moving into my place, and he got onto the topic of guns. Supposedly he is an armed security guard, but he claimed that "Kimbers suck because they are unreliable and jam too much, I would much rather carry my Beretta 9mm." I just grinned and nodded my head...terrible.

15. SHSBulldog06

SHSBulldog06 New Member

Own a Kimber Ultra Carry II and also a DW Pointman 7, as previously said either one isn't going to let you down. Both make a good handgun for the money in my opinion. My advice is to just look around at both and see which model appeals to you the most and not care so much about which manufacturer.

16. h8dirt

h8dirt New Member

I have no experience with Dan Wesson's. I do have a Kimber CDP Pro II -- and have never had a problem with it. Over the years I have also accumulated a Wilson and a Colt Gov't Model. The Colt is at the bottom of my list. In my experience, the Kimber ain't no Wilson, but it is good -- very good.

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

the main issue i have with kimber is the metals they use for the upper reciever and frames feel more like a cast metal kinda what the ruger 10/22 recievers are made of. another major issue is the external extractors. im just not a fan of kimber. ive had some bad expeirence with their customer support. all of those things combined ensure ill never own another of those.

springfield armory or colt is way ahead of kimber. my main 1911's are a springfield 1911-a1 and colt series 70 and colt new agent. colt 1911 in my opinion are the best quality per price guns out there with springfield a close second.

18. Mongo

Mongo Well-Known Member Supporter

Dan Wesson 1911

I bought the Dan Wesson Pointman 10mm Match. When the 10mm ammo became harder to find, I called Dan Wesson's customer service and purchased a 40 cal barrel and spring which they sent direct to me. I'm able to switch calibers in minutes. The 40 cal feeds perfectly off the 10mm magazine.
    The cost was considerably less than a Kimber. If I bought a more expensive 1911, I would get a Wilson.