Seeking affordable hobby gun, long range bolt action

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by meal4zombies, Mar 21, 2012.

1. meal4zombies

meal4zombies New Member

I am not a ballistics expert. I don't really know which cartridge is better or why, but I will do some reading on this forum to try to draw some conclusions; but I'm looking for a rifle that will be on the cheaper side, about $250 to $300 that has an effective range of about 400 yards that I can tinker and practice with. Any opinions welcome.

Also wondering where to shoot. I live on the outskirts of Cleveland so there's no fields around here, much less any place that would allow me to shoot a rifle. Gun ranges around here are indoor, pistol only. I can't even shoot my 10/22.

2. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I'm a fan of the .308. It's a short action, ammo is decently priced, easy to find and has a large variety of bullet types. What exactly would you be using it for? Hunting? Paper punching?

3. kaido

kaido New Member

You could always get the Savage axis chambered in what ever you'd like.
    Personally I would go with .223 just purely for the cheapness. By of by "tinker with" you mean try and see what loads you can make for it since you reload, I'd go with a .308. That way if you ever decide to, you can always hunt deer with the same paper punching rifle.

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

well in the $250-300 range, your options may be limited. you might look into getting a used Mosin or Mauser with a lot of ammo to practice with. or another option would be to start looking around in the pawnshops and gun stores for a decent used rifle. if you can't find a place to shoot, then it could be a mmot point.

5. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

I got a savage 110 from a pawnshop for 325 and it's in good shape and shoots just as good but as a heck of a thump and that y it has the Nickname thumper lol

I RUN LIKE A CHEVY AND IM BUILT FORD TOUGH ;)

6. meal4zombies

meal4zombies New Member

I've never hit a target at more than 40 yards, and that was with a 357 revolver. I want to do some serious long range shooting, just for the fun of it. I'm a little interested in the Mauser. Looks more my speed by way of price, but can this thing deliver at good range? What kind of groupings would I expect? I'm looking for something decent that I can put about a 3'' group at at least 200 yards; that would be nice, but I'm not sure if that's realistic. Like I said, never done any long range shooting before. Thanks for the input.

7. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

Check out a marlin 22mag with a micro grv barrel.

8. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

A Mauser should, not too familiar with them but I know a mosin could hit that far. Not sure on the groupings, depends on the shooter but you can usually get a Mosin for about 100 down here in Oklahoma and ammo is dirt cheap

9. slim325

slim325 New Member

Start with a 22lr learn to shoot it properly before u go and spend on a larger cal.

10. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Get a savage/stevens rifle new or used . There stevens 200 can be bought here for just under 300 dollars new . It is accurate out of the box and upgrades for triggers from rifle basix or stocks from boyds are not costly and can be done as needed over time. A scope from walmart like a centerpoint will get you buy on a light .223 rifle too

11. meal4zombies

meal4zombies New Member

I've shot tens of thousands of 22lr in my lifetime. I know how to shoot, just not at long range. That's why I'm looking for a good rifle to start with. And I think I've settled on the Savage Axis in 223 if I can get one. Looks sweet. People tell me the lighter bullet will be more accurate at longer range but have less punch. I'm looking more for accuracy than stopping power.

12. Vincine

Vincine New Member

A smaller lighter bullet will be less affected by gravity and fly flatter, but it will be more affected by wind than a heavier bullet, which would be exactly the reverse.

At least that's what the ballistic charts imply.

Gravity is a constant throughout the range and compensation for bullet drop can be calculated and is repeatable. This is not so with wind which is variable shot to shot and even yard to yard. Wind drift would have to judged for every round.

I'd suggest you check how long the 'range' where you plan to shot is and factor that into your caliber selection.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  13. Yunus

Yunus New Member

.223 is a good choice because it offers inexpensive round choices, however those rounds will not offer you the best accuracy at 400 yards.

I would highly recommend finding where you are going to shoot before you buy the rifle though. Have you checked if there are any Isaak Walton chapters near you?

14. slim325

slim325 New Member

You said yourself you've never hit a Target passed 40yds.This might be an issue at 300yds.I was being realistic so go back and shoot another 100000 rounds on your xbox.

15. 007BondJamesBond007

007BondJamesBond007 New Member

I got a Mauser M98 and can't hit crap with it @ 50 yards much less 400+ yards. Iron sights are real bad. I would put a scope on it if didn't have to modified. I want to keep it stock. I did hit the bulls eye @ 100 yards when I ran up to the target in a bayonet charge.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  16. Georgiahunter

Georgiahunter New Member

Yeah, why don't you go do the same. If you don't have anything nice to say just leave. Just cause he has never did it doesn't mean he can't.

17. meal4zombies

meal4zombies New Member

Sorry if I've offended you somehow, but xbox? How old do you think I am? ...and 10,000 rounds of 22LR isn't much to gawk at. They're only $40 for 1000 rounds. That's why I love them. But in the city here, I don't have anywhere to shoot any more. Even in the country, I was limited by a backstop in order to avoid shooting into other people's property, so no long range for me. Someone local to me has made me aware of a range that I can go to with 200 yards, so I think that might work out.

18. Axxe55

if you could stretch your budget a little, you might check out the Marlin X7 series or the Savage Axis series of rifles. both are available in several good calibers for starting out, both are very accurate out of the box and inexpensive as well, plus they are made very well. either could also be bought in a combo with a scope already mounted and boresighted. about $350-400 complete and would be fine starter rifles to learn on for centerfire. try out a 243, a 308 or even a 30-06.

19. cottontop

cottontop Guest

I have a Marlin XL7 that I paid $360 for brand new, out the door, tax and all. It is in .25-06 and is one long range tack driver. The ammo may cost a little more, but that would be a good excuse to get into reloading if you aren't already. I topped it w/ a (don't anyone laugh) Barska Hunter 3-9 variable which is a decent scope for the money.
    cottontop

20. Axxe55

cotton, i have the same rifle and have a 6-24x40 BSA w/ side focus on it, and it is awesome in the accuracy department. i will be putting a better scope on it later, but the BSA is a bad scope, just decent. i just got an older Ruger that i put a Barska on for now, because i already ahd it laying around, and i will put a better scope on it also in the future.

i agree, reloading allows me to shoot more and much cheaper than resorting to factory ammo. i have gotten into the practice of buying new dies when i acquire another caliber in a firearm, that and unprimed cases. try buying factory ammo for a rifle chambered in 280 Remington! $35-60 for a box of 20 rounds!