see thru rings, mossberg 500

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by Pjj342, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Pjj342

Pjj342 New Member

Im getting a scope set up for my dads mossberg 500, which he only shoots slugs and heavy turkey loads from. So theres alot of recoil.

He wants see thru rings so he can use the irons in case a deer or turkey comes very close.

Do you guys have any suggestions on who makes good see thru rings, and where to get them.

2. Pjj342

Pjj342 New Member

As of now, I only see weaver and leupold.

3. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

Yeah DON'T get them. They are worthless.

1. They put the scope up to high unless you add height to the comb of the stock. You will not get proper cheek weld and shooting will be POOR.
    2. They restrict your sight picture so much that it makes them worthless for up close work. If he want to be able to see up close get a low powered scope like a 1-4x24mm Bushnell trophy XLT. Bushnell 1-4x24 Trophy XLT 30mm Rifle Scope

They also loosen up much more than regular scope rings.

I would get the best of both worlds and get a red dot like the Aimpoint Micro Aimpoint Micro H-1 Red Dot Sight or an EOTech SWFA EOTech Holosights EOTech Tactical Holosights

4. MidnightExpress

MidnightExpress New Member

How's a non magnified sight the "best of both worlds" between iron sights and a magnified scope? The whole point of using a scope is to bring your targets closer, extending the effective range of your rifle/shotgun/pistol.

5. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I have this setup on my 30-06. While holding your head off the cheek weld is different, it's doable, and not so bad once you get used to it with some practice. This is just my .02. Some people however, loathe my setup. I've used this setup for 3 years now and I am very comfortable with it, so much so, that I put a red dot on a .308 and went back to using my 30-06, simply for the fact that I am used to the see through rings more. I mean, it's deer hunting, not downtown Mogadishu, I'm not running a 4x magnifier with a 45 degree rail and a doctor optic on the side for "close in deer work"

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

You are talking about a shotgun not a long range rifle. A red dot would be effective at shotgun ranges. If you want both, get a Leupold 1x4 with fire dot or similar scope of a different brand. It will give you a 1x red dot and a 4x with or with out red dot.

7. Pjj342

Pjj342 New Member

This is my dad here, he doesnt really mind hunting with the high scope, like Mosin.

I asked him, how is your cheek weld (thinking it may not be comfortable for him)? He said, "Ive killed about 15 deer with it, its fine with me" Its not my thing, as I like my face planted on the stock, but its his gun. And he uses it to kill deer, and not shoot groups at the range, until its pre hunting season sight in time.

Just to humor me, would You pick the weaver or leupold? Because Im not sure I can talk him out of it.

8. MidnightExpress

The OP was the one talking about a scope and rigs for shotguns, but it doesn't really matter who was talking. Shotguns shooting slugs can benefit from the extended range and improved accuracy a scope provides. I was asking how a red dot sight is a compromise between a magnified scope and no-magnified open sights. I'm also not looking for a scope or red dot sight and I wouldn't use a 1x power anything on my rifles. I prefer high powered scopes and I have my firearms equipped the way I want them.

I don't have any experience with either brand of scope. I've read a lot of good things about the Leupold, but so much on the Weaver. The few Weaver posts I've read were positive, just not as many as the Leupold.

9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Both are good scopes. I believe Leupold has more choices. The Leupold Fire Dot scopes are available in other magnifications. You were inferring shotgun use at close range for turkey and longer range for deer so I posted the 1-4x. I am looking at the Fire Dots for my AR and Mini 30.
    SWFA Leupold Hunting Riflescopes Leupold VX-R Riflescopes

10. MidnightExpress

Again, you seem to be confusing me with Pjj342 as I never mentioned any animals.

11. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

Ok you want see through rings to use open sights.

Go look through a 1" PVC pipe that is 12" long and tell me you have the exact same FOV as with unobstructed open sights. YOU DON'T So that to me negates the the use of see through rings.

Every single set I have ever seen mounted came lose. Even ones mounted with blue locktite came lose after shooting a few rounds. Most of them are made so cheap that the Chinese can't even make a profit on them. these are just my views. If you want a scope then use a scope if you want irons then use irons. See through are not a wonder fix all for using both.

Maybe I shouldn't have said best of both worlds. I should have said to get better accuracy and still maintain a wide FOV try looking into a red dot of the one I post in my OP. We are talking a slug gun here 200 yards tops a reddot is plenty accurate for MOD (Minute of Deer) out to 200 yards. We are not talking about shooting 700 to 1k yards here.

12. Pjj342

Pjj342 New Member

13. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

Warne makes some dang fine rings. The quick detach will allow you to take the scope off and put it back on with near zero loss of sight in. It might be slightly off but not enough to worry about on a deer rifle or slug gun.

I think he will be much happier with a nice scope and solid rings.

14. Pjj342

Pjj342 New Member

When he came over today, thats exactly what I told him. He said from the start that he wanted something he wouldnt need to worry about for the rest of his hunting life. I do think the warne rings will hold up way better than his 'way up high' weaver rings. And when I told him that guys have put these thru some real abuse with no problems, he was sold.

Im glad. you should see the rings he has, they are so high theres no way for a good cheek weld. Also, he says the zero changes alot from year to year, even though he hasnt whacked it off anything. I just think his rings suck.

This said, weird rings and all, May there be a problem with his bushnell trophy shotgun scope???? I guess we wont know until we try.

15. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

I have found in mounting scopes that 80+% of scope problems are due to poor mounting or cheap rings.

Why buy a nice gun $500 and a good scope $200+ then put $5 rings and $10 mounts on a rifle?

16. Pjj342

Pjj342 New Member

After he got the gun, he took it to his local gun shop and told them he wanted a scope mount installed, with see thru rings and his bushnell trophy scope on top. We just noticed that the scope wasnt even leveled. Its a good bit crooked.

I swear alot of these places just want your money, and wont tell you if the option you want, isnt the best one. Just because that might dig into their pockets a little.

Ive seen it first hand at a couple places, Its a shame. Because they did a crap job on my dads scope set up.

We will be taking the whole thing down, Refastening the mount, and working up.