security camera opinions.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by mountainman13, Jun 18, 2012.

1. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

What would you consider to be a better setup? A good wide angle view where you can see the entire area in question (stair well) or a tight angle that provides an optimal picture for identification (close up photo)?
    My motion sensitive camera automatically takes a picture and forwards it to a special email and immediately alerts me as well as sounding a warning alarm in the house.
    If I have a wide angle view I get a picture like the first one.
    If its in tight I get something like the second but clearly don't have as good a view of the entire stair well.
    Obviously the purpose of the picture is to id the person for Leo if necessary. The dvr is constantly recording regardless.

Attached Files:

2. vincent

vincent New Member

Can you pick up a feed on your TV? A buddy of mine does home security, his home system is set up to automatically switch the TV channel to the camera on the front door when the doorbell is rung.

If it were me, I'd go with the wide angle. You could easily see if the guy on the left has a weapon, or if it's multiple people, not so much on the right.

If it comes down to a matter of LEO IDing a suspect, they have all kinds of video enhancement software, my first concern would be knowing who and what I'd be up against.

Just my .02...:cool:

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Yes I can pull up a direct feed even from my phone if I choose. With the tight angle I can tell if someone is there and I get a great shot of their face but obviously don't have a great view. Wide angle I can see everything but if I'm not home identifying the person in court would likely be impossible unless they happen to look up at the camera.

4. gollygee

gollygee New Member

I'd vote for the wide angle setting, if using it as a warning device.

We have a camera monitoring our front door. Not so much for a warning, but as a means of identifying someone before opening the door to them. For that purpose the tight angle it supplies is what we need, but as a security warning, it leaves something to be desired because when the warning sounds on our monitor inside the home, it does not always show what set it off. It is possible for someone to set it off, then move out of view.

I would think the same would apply to your situation if you use a tight angle.

5. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Mountainman,

Unless I am mistaken it seems like you could move the camera in example two down lower much more and get most of the stairwell and the close up at the same time! There is a whole lot of wall above the subjects head that is not necessary?

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I could but then if they stand on the top stair I won't see them at all. It's a tough choice.

7. levelcross

levelcross New Member

With this being the limiting factor I would go with the wide angle shot. If at all possible another camera would give you the best of both worlds. I was looking at an 18 camera system at Costco the other day, the picture was too grainy to make out the faces very well so I didn't look too hard.

I like the idea of the early warning system, mine poops like crazy and barks and bites a lot...well barks anyway.:p

8. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Lol. Yeah I'm leaning towards leaving it at the tight angle and getting another camera for a wide view eventually.

9. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I thought about it a little more and came up with the best option. I drilled a hole through the door and mounted the camera to a plate screwed to the inside of the door. Put the camera in sideways. Now it covers the entire stairwell and catches a tight facial shot. Impossible to access the wires in any way from outside now too.

10. levelcross

levelcross New Member

Nice solution Mountain.

11. Tedennis

Tedennis New Member

I was gonna ask why u could not use both? Are you out of channel inputs on dvr?

12. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

How expensive is this? Also, we don't live in the best neighborhood...... Do you think cameras would deter people or invite them to challenge why I have them in the first place?

13. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

I think it would steer people away from your place. If you can't afford real cameras they do make decoy cameras that are cheaper. I had one at my last place, I bought it for about $30.

14. Tedennis

Tedennis New Member

You can find decent systems for around $400 these days. And by decent I mean 4-8 cameras with night vision with a 4 gig dvr that you can access from internet. Relatively inexpensive for what it is. I am researching some options for around my premises as I am starting home business.

15. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

I might have to look into this. Thanks! If you find any good options, I would love if you would message me the links if you wouldn't mind.