Featured Security 9

Discussion in 'Ruger Handgun Forum' started by potmetal, Jan 12, 2018.

1. potmetal

potmetal Member

Ruger has a new compact sized 9mm pistol. It is about the size of a Glock 19, comes with 2 15rd mags, polymer frame, single action Glock like trigger. It retails at about $299.
    I picked one up today. I think it has a nice feel to it. I think the trigger will be easy to get used to.
    I hope to get out to the range early next week and break it in. If you are looking at an affordable self defense pistol, most in the $300 price range are imports. S&W has the SD9, now Ruger has the Security 9.

IowaShooter likes this.
  2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

We like pictures

PaBushMan likes this.

3. Greg_r

Greg_r Well-Known Member

I like everything about the Security-9 except the safety. Make a Security-9 Pro and I will get me one. Until then, I will make do with the LCPII and the American Pistol.

locutus likes this.
  4. IowaShooter

IowaShooter Well-Known Member Supporter

I handled one the other day... Like it!

5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

It takes a different mag than the SR pistols. I wonder if any other mags interchange? It is direct competition for the Glock at 1/2 the price. Hammer fired. They will probably come out with a Pro but a lot of people dont like the Glock because of no safety. I believe there is a mag well adapter available for the S9 mags to work in the PC.

6. Greg_r

Greg_r Well-Known Member

I shot one this morning. Liked it a lot. Comparing it to my American Pistol, the American shows it's quality. The Security-9 is not finished as dark a black and has plastic sights and guide rod. But so does the GLOCK it's compared to.

I like the sights and trigger. It shoots well too. I don't see the need for the safety. And thought it was too small and hard to manipulate. It also fit very well to my hand.

I won be replacing my American with it, but if Ruger releases it in a Pro version, I will likely augment my Ruger collection!

7. Ross82

Ross82 Active Member

I think it looks like a nice gun for the money. I can't seem to get over how all these gun companies call that size of gun a compact

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018 at 6:04 PM
  8. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Looked at one.
    Just personally since I have a sr9c , there isn't enough difference in the two to warrant getting one.
    But it is a nice pistol.

9. Judah_BenHur

Judah_BenHur Member

@potmetal ...
    I've only seen vids of this piece, but it appears that it will still fire with no mag.
    True?

10. potmetal

potmetal Member

It is marked on the left side of the pistol, "Pistol will fire with magazine removed". Between work, and the snow storm we had here, I haven't taken it out yet. Our outdoor range was closed awhile but I'm sure it will be open tomorrow.

Judah_BenHur likes this.
  11. Ross82

Ross82 Active Member

Yes, it has no magazine disconnect

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018 at 8:16 PM
  12. potmetal

potmetal Member

It's a good shooter. I put about 150 rds through it today. No hiccups at all, accurate shooting at steel targets, very comfortable in my hands.

Ross82 likes this.
  13. Ross82

Ross82 Active Member

I like all the new guns Ruger has come out with. Well made and affordable. PC Carbine looks like alot of fun also