Securing one long gun

Discussion in 'Gun Safes' started by Missouribound, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Missouribound

Missouribound Well-Known Member

I recently purchased a bigger safe and now it sits in my lower level on the concrete floor. I used to have a small cabinet in my closet which was only a couple of feet from my bed. I do however keep a pistol at the ready near my bed. I would like to keep one long gun, either a shotgun or an AR type in my closet. If anyone is doing this, what are you using to secure it?
    I see the single gun wall mounts which hold a single gun in place. Is that the way to go?
    I do have a small safe in my closet which holds the .357 and I keep my carry gun in a "bed buddy". I am not a paranoid person by any means but I think that shotgun is a good choice for home protection and the fact that it is less likely to penetrate walls is a consideration.
    Any recommendation or suggestions would be welcome.

303tom likes this.
  2. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't have a link, but IIRC, someone makes a scabbard that fits behind the head of your bed and holds a long gun out of sight, but within easy reach. Secured by a flap of some kind that fits between the mattress and box spring

3. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

AmPaTerry likes this.
  4. AmPaTerry

AmPaTerry Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

That is very cool!

5. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Change the closet doorknob to one that locks

kfox75 likes this.
  6. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

They make scabbards that have straps that go around the box springs, which secure the gun to the side of the box springs. The weapon is hidden when the bed is made, but readily available when your in bed, and most casual searches will miss it.

I have some metal hangers the hang an AR nose down in the closet. Not sure if they are still made. https://redneckriflehangers.com/

7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I use a Tac-Mag gun magnet to hold a shotgun upright in the closet. It will hold 25 lbs. Available on Amazon. A pistol with a flashlight attached is in my night stand with the drawer open and the bedroom door is locked at night.

8. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I don't think I could do that, sleep at night locked in my bedroom !...............

9. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

It would depend on if you have children in the house. I don't, so my .12 ga. leans against my bedpost beside my head.
    How about being handcuffed to the head-board? ;)

Dallas53 and Ghost1958 like this.
  10. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Better than being locked in someone else’s bedroom. :eek:

Dallas53 likes this.
  11. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Chainfire;
    How about being handcuffed to the head-board? ;)

Depends on what she looks like !.......

Ghost1958 and RKB like this.
  12. JTJ

It is locked from the inside so people are slowed down trying to get in. I can get out quite easily. Besides the house has security alarms. Now the question is why would you be locked in your bedroom?

MisterMcCool and locutus like this.
  13. Missouribound

Missouribound Well-Known Member

That's too simple....but also a great idea. I'm considering that and adding a magnetic holder of some sort over the door. No kids in the house and out of reach. Funny how I look for a complex answer to a simple solution.
    Thanks for the input.

MisterMcCool likes this.
  14. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I don't sleep in my bedroom with the door shut & locked !.............

15. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

My dogs could NOT get in or out if I did, what if one of should need to go pee or poop, they need to be able to get out !................

JTJ likes this.
  16. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

https://www.amazon.com/ShotLock-S-SLC01-02-Shotgun-Classic-Solo-Vault/dp/B007UT14FO

Before taking a pair of use school lockers, linking them together, and bolting them to the floor and studs, we used a pair of these to secure the 20 ga 870 and the M590 right at the head of the bed, on both sides. it covers the action and trigger guard, to prevent discharges an load tampering, as well as unauthorized use.

We still have one that's right by the front door to the upper level holding the RIA M5, and the other is now at my neighbor's place, along with the HS410 we gave her as an early Christmas\housewarming gift.

Now, you could always pick up an inexpensive lock box from Walmart, some weather stripping that will slie onto the steel of the box, cut a hole just large enough for the top of the grip, and the mag tube and barrel, drill mounting holes, pick up lag screws, and bolt it to a wall stud for about $30 to $40, and some time with a drill and a dremel.

Or, instead of a locking knob, pick up a dead bolt, and install that on the closet door. that way, it can't be defeated with a simple credit card or pocket knife. otherwise, make sure you add a plate that goes over the gap, to keep the latch more pry resistant.

17. JTJ

If I had a dog the door would probably be open too.

18. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Against the wall by my bed.