Second trip to the range

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by winds-of-change, Sep 21, 2010.

1. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

This is the second time to the range. I'm shooting a Ruger GP100, 6" barrel. I mostly shot .38 special but did do a few chambers of .357 magnum. I probably put about 80 rounds through my gun today. Here's what the targets ended up looking like. I was shooting 25 yards. I really like the splatter targets. Much easier to see and take a picture of with a crappy camera phone. Please feel free to criticize, recommend, suggest or give me any kind of guidance. I am very new to this. It's only the 4th time I've ever shot a gun. :eek:

[​IMG]

This was six shots fired single action.

[​IMG]

Target #2,

[​IMG]

Target #3.

2. collegekid20

collegekid20 New Member

really? those aren't bad at all at 25 yds, much less for someone who is new to shooting. Looks to me like a hell of a fun time, all I can say is practice makes perfect, just keep striving to get better. Good range report

3. Troy Michalik

Troy Michalik Is it Friday yet? Supporter

Looks like you're doing fine to me Winds. Keep up the good work.

Although I'm sure there is more paper that needs killin. :rolleyes:

4. opaww

opaww New Member

looks like good shooting to me now work on off hand

5. jbd

jbd New Member

Like stated above looks great to me and like opaww said you should do a little off hand practice also. You never know when the off hand will be the only one you can use in a bad situation.

6. winds-of-change

Thank you. I will try shooting a few chambers lefty. I'm hooked, I must say. :eek:

I even stopped into the gun shop to look at other guns. I don't have the $$ right now but I can look!! I admired a raspberry LCP like Bunny has. I looked at a Desert Eagle just out of curiosity, I would never buy one. And I admired an AR15 because I read about them here but I had no idea what they were. The salesman knows I'm a newbie and has been so kind and generous with his time talking to me about the different kinds of ammo and guns. Yesterday I even learned what a 'tracer round' was, how to identify it and when and how it's used.

7. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Well done.

Keep up the good work.

8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

That's good work. Practice closer in as well. Most self defense situations occur at closer ranges.

Winds, no offense intended, but it's not chambers, it's cylinders. ;)

9. winds-of-change

Thank you very much for the correction. These are the things I need to learn. Cylinder it is!! I will practice in closer, too. What distance do you recommend?

10. orangello

orangello New Member

I gotta say, those targets look well-perforated. I doubt i did as well with mine on the second trip.

Have you considered a speedloader for a quicker reload, in a self-defense situation? It is just a little gizmo that holds 6 rounds in position to load all 6 rounds at one time. It takes some practice to be able to use them quickly; i'm working on that part.

11. winds-of-change

Well, I shot about 80 rounds and I sure don't think I see 80 holes on those targets. Thanks for the compliment but I'm sure I did a lot of 'misses' along with those 'hits'.

Thank you for the suggestion, too. Yes, I did buy a speed loader but to be honest, I haven't tried it yet. I do have snap caps to practice those sorts of things at home and to dry shoot my gun with. I will make that my "homework" until the next time at the range. But now that I think about it, I won't practice speedloading with the snap caps. They are pretty light. I'll use live rounds. They certainly have more weight behind them.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  12. amoroque

amoroque New Member

Wow! 25 yards! that is pretty darn good shooting.

If those were bad guys they would definitly be dead!

13. CA357

Winds, close in is around 7 to 15 yards. Much closer and you can bash 'em with that hand cannon. ;)

14. winds-of-change

Is it 'cheating' that I shot some of those rounds with my arms resting on the bench? I also feel I'm kind of 'cheating' when I use single action vs. double action. Are there any "rules" for bragging rights?

I'll do that next time I go to the range.

When I visited a friend in California he took me to an outdoor range. I mostly shot rifles. I particularly fell in love with the Uzi. I started with a row of metal targets 50 yds. out and started at one end and tried to shoot along the line of targets. I got 5 in a row before I missed. I could hear my friend laughing behind me. I was also able to hit a 10" target at 100 yds. with an SKS, but I did have to sit and rest my elbows on the bench because I found that gun kind of heavy for me. I had the time of my life in California and with my friend and his guns. Who'd of ever thought the words "fun with guns" and "California" would all be in one sentence? My friend always told me Cali isn't a very gun friendly state. I'm beginning to see what he means from what I read here.

I'm telling you all, I'm having a whole lot of fun with my Ruger revolver.

15. CA357

Maintained properly, that Ruger will be in the family for generations and still be going strong.

16. amoroque

amoroque New Member

17. winds-of-change

I agree. My friend thought it was a sturdy, reliable gun for a first time owner. Also pretty basic and simple to use. Easy to be sure it's not loaded. I think he suggested a great first gun for me. Except now I want a rifle and a semi-auto. Good thing I don't have any extra money right now.

18. orangello

orangello New Member

19. winds-of-change

Maybe not practical but FUN!! My kids are grown and gone.......it's time for me to have FUN!!! Oh, I forgot to mention I also want a snubbie revolver, too. My kids think I've gone crazy.

20. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Look into an LCR(Elsie Arrr) can't go wrong there. The wife really likes her Rugers.

Attached Files: