Second gun suggestions?

Discussion in 'SIG Sauer Forum' started by Staidan, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Staidan

Staidan New Member

So my first gun is a SP2022, 9 mm. LOVE this gun. Looking to buy another gun, possibly .45, and wanted to see what suggestions are out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

2. vincent

vincent New Member

Can you be more specific?

What is it going to be used for?

Are you going to carry it?

How are you going to carry it?

House gun?

Truck gun?

Range gun?

Plinking gun?

Need more info...

3. Staidan

Staidan New Member

Mainly for fun, range shooting.

4. therewolf

therewolf New Member

IMO, go back to the caliber's roots.

Get a Stainless Steel Colt full size 1911.

The pistol designed for the caliber, all made

by JMB himself.

5. JW357

JW357 New Member

Seconded. I'm still looking to get my first one.

6. vincent

vincent New Member

Thirded...:p

Just noticed this is in the SIG forum...

Do you have your heart set on a SIG?

If not, have a mod move the thread to the general handgun forum, you'll get more responses...:cool:

7. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

If you are looking for a sig, do a search on sigs. It will give you an idea of what is available. Then search the specific for pricing:

SigSauer 1911 images

I don't know if you can view a page like this on a cell phone or what it may look like - lots of images of sig 1911's.

SigSauer 1911

Makes me hungry for a Sig too :) when my money boat arrives...

8. G30USMC

G30USMC Well-Known Member Supporter

.............+1

9. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

Just a suggestion, but getting a 45 for just range shooting is expensive on ammo (.50 a shot with basic range rounds) and can be rough on your wrist after a couple hundred rounds. I did the same thing years ago, and then I bought a Sig 225 9mm just for the range. Ammo cost were lower, and I could shoot it longer without wearing out my wrist and arm. Just a suggestion. I have the STX 45 as pictured[​IMG]

10. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I would suggest answering to yourself and possibly us the following questions.

What would I use this gun for?
    What is my current gun lacking that I am looking for?
    Do I want a new caliber? Adding a second caliber is nothing but next thing you know, you have to stock up 10 calibers and it becomes a royal PITA! :)

With this info you can make a more informed decision. Without it, we can't possibly help because we have no idea what you want other than another gun. There's nothing wrong with that but it's more of a general firearms question and there are plenty of threads addressing it already.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

I would strongly recommend the xdm 5.5 in 45acp.

Also the fnx in 45

Two of my favorites are my new vaqueros from ruger. Ive got a pair in 45colt with 45acp cylinders.

I like 1911's but i dont find them what i would call pleasent shooting guns

12. Staidan

Staidan New Member

So, not really sure how to answer all the questions, since I am so new to firearms; I haven't a clue what I need or desire, really. We just started a gun club at church, so I'll get to shoot a variety of handguns with the other guys. Hopefully that'll help me out. Reading a bunch too. Also, I hear you about wrist wear with heavier calibers. Hadn't thought of that. Thanks for all the suggestions!!

13. JW357

JW357 New Member

A companion. Every firearm needs a companion.

Or a dozen companions...

14. JW357

JW357 New Member

Do you have a concealed carry license? Do you have a gun designated for home defense?

Your 9mm could conceivably fill both these roles. But many people, especially on this forum, will have separate guns for separate purposes.

In my less than humble opinion, self defense and home defense are the two top priorities when beginning to buy firearms. Afterall, firearms are designed to be life-saving tools.

So, answer those questions. If you aren't interested in defending yourself, and just want to have fun at the range, then I suppose that's your prerogative but its also an answer to the questions above.

15. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

me, I'd be needing some long guns sooner or later.....by guns do you only mean hand guns?

If not, a good 12 gauge or an AR is always a nice addition!

Attached Files:

16. Yunus

Yunus New Member

My advice is to get a 22. Althiugh ammo is a bit hard to find it will change soon and you can relatively speaking cheaply shoot the s*** out of it and have a great time.

Everyone needs a 22, you just need to figure out which one is right for you.

/Hint its a Ruger Mark (something)

17. Staidan

Staidan New Member

Yes, we have two .22 rifles, and will be getting a shotgun soon. Rifle for large game is on the list too. My 9mm can serve both home defense and cc, but it is a bit bulky. I'm scheduled to take chl class soon. Never hurts to be prepared for everything, lol. We originally began purchasing firearms for home defense/survival (future) situations; but I had no idea how much I would enjoy shooting. :). So, the question about second gun was for handgun fun more than anything.

18. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

With a 9mm already, which you love, you really don't need another heavy caliber handgun.

The two obvious choices now would be for either a 380 of some kind (I prefer the Walther's) or else a 22LR of some kind (Ruger makes great 22's).

The 380 would serve as a CCW backup, or in cases where your 9mm is too big to carry.

The 22's are for "fun at the range."

I used to have a Colt Woodsman -- a 22LR field pistol. Wish I had kept it. But one day while spring cleaning, I got rid of it -- traded it towards a heavier caliber revolver -- which I now also no longer have.

I wish I had kept the Woodsman now.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  19. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

I would amend that statement to read "a good 12 gauge or 5.56x45mm is always a nice (appropriate) addition."

Even though half of all guns sold in American right now are AR's, I would avoid them like the plague and get a Ruger Mini 14 Ranch instead.

20. JW357

JW357 New Member

Cool. So that clarifies things. Here's my thoughts. You can get whatever caliber you want, but:

- 9mm still tends to be the cheapest centerfire caliber for handguns in most places

- You already have a 9mm so you would have commanality of ammo

- If you get a new caliber, you will be diversifying your calibers which is handy when one is less prominent on the shelves than the other (IE: this past year and a half or so, 9mm was difficult to find for a lot of people and .40 S&W was more common)

- 9mm tends have acceptable felt recoil for most people. You already know.

- Depending on the firearm and person, .45 ACP tends to have more of a rolling recoil whereas .40 S&W tends to be snappier (generally)

- Firearms chambered in .357 Magnum (revolvers) can also shoot .38 Special. .357 Is slightly harsh recoil for most (I love it) and is expensive whereas .38 is more similar to 9mm for felt recoil and cheaper than .357 but more expensive than 9mm

- 22 LR is still hard to find depending on where you are in the country. It is also more expensive than it was a year and a half ago. But when you can find it you can generally get more ammo for much cheaper than even 9mm. 9mm tends to run around $15 / box of 50 in my area, whereas 22 LR tends to be $25 / box of 550 (if I can find it).

Those are the things that come to my mind for you looking for a new handgun for range purposes. If you're thinking something to concealed carry, that opens up more thoughts.

In terms of the gun, just go to gun stores and see what fits your hand the best and then see if you can shoot it.