Second German Roe Buck

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by Jagermeister, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I had another successful hunt. The buck arrived about 5 minutes after I sat in the hunter's seat. It was about 0600, so it was still kind of dark in the woods. I wanted to get a Mouflon (mountain sheep), but they never showed up. I was hunting near Kusel, which is on the way to Baumholder. Baumholder is an Army post. The historic 1st armor division was stationed there until very recently. The trophy skull is from my last hunt. I have shot 1 doe and 2 buck at this revier in the last couple of months. Both bucks are two years old. Twice I was the only successful hunter. The revier owner joked he will not invite me anymore. Anyways, my freezer is full again. Some of the pics are from my Sony Action Camera I have strapped to my big noggin. I wanted to download video to youtube, but it would take 615 minutes, so I changed my mind.

First Roe Buck shot on the this revier and processing area:
    http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/hunting-german-roe-deer-94504/

Attached Files:

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Jager,

Congrats on the hunt. You advised these were about two years old. What is their weight and do they get bigger or stay in the same range regarding size. Do you have any pictures of the mountain sheep you were trying to find?

3. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Both the bucks were 15 kilos (33 pounds ) without head/guts/organs. The doe was 13 (29.66 pounds) kilos. The bucks can get a little bigger, but they are no larger then a big dog. In the past I see the average of 13-15 kilos for bucks and around 12/13 for doe.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAfgqz052No[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Vk-Sr0uH9Q[/ame]

Here are more pics from a hike and a winter drive hunt. It has Roe, boar, fox and a fallow deer (large doe in front of the other game). I shot a fox and deer. http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/rehwild-roe-deer-93143/

4. johnr1943

johnr1943 New Member

Sears & Roe Buck ?

:D

5. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Ha Ha....I guess.....Germans call Roe deer Rehwild. British call them Roe deer.

6. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Jager,

Thanks for the information! The Mountain Sheep Rams would be a prize!

7. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

I like how there is no under brush there . I bet it makes hunting a lot easier.
    Nice buck great job
    Trinken Sie während der Jagd?

8. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

There is underbrush in certain areas. Hunters also work on the revier to make the hunt easier. I scout areas before hunting. ;) I have had to track wounded boar (from another hunter) in the middle of the night in heavy brush. I can track anything with two and four legs. A skill we learned in our year of hunting school. Still, night tracking is not fun and very dangerous. Boar do charge you at night. We also hunt on treacherous large hills and small mountains. Still, I have HK USP .40 and my Mossberg 590 Mariner with slugs in these situations. Yes, we keep bullets in the chambers of our guns! (referring to another thread) The fourth picture is German underbrush.

Oh, no drinking when handling firearms. Later....hell ya!

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      30.7 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      29.8 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      30.8 KB
      Views:
    • 011.jpg
      011.jpg
      File size:
      28.5 KB
      Views:
    • 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      29.5 KB
      Views:
    • 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      29.2 KB
      Views:
  9. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Well placed shot. Good job.

10. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

1 So how does the hunting work there ?
    Is it a hunting lease ?
    2 Or is it public land you that you can go any where you want ?
    3do you belong to a rod and gun club and they tell you where to hunt ?

11. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I have friends who have a lease to hunt on reviers. I do not need to have my own lease because I have lots of invites. You can lease from a private or state lands. You can only hunt on your lease or on invites. I can hunt weekly none the less anyways, because of my friends. There are also plenty of invites to hunters for drive hunts. Make friends and have a good rep and you will have plenty of hunting to do. Hunting is a cultural social group. Only 5 percent of population hunts. You **** up, and you might as well quit hunting. Nobody will lease you a land or invite you at all. I do belong to the rod and gun club because you are required to belong to a club to own firearms. I am invited to hunt on a good friend's revier when I please. My friend is also working to get me to hunt without a lease on our hunting butcher's land. He can not meet his yearly game shooting plan, because he is to busy. You have to shoot so much game yearly according to the population of game that lives on the land. The meat will be free!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  12. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

Thank you for explaining it . Your very lucky have so many nice friends to invite you.

13. hairbear1

hairbear1 Member

Thank God we don't have to do anything like this in Australia even though idiots like the Greens and the anti gun mobs would like to see the end of al gun ownership.

14. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I would love to come down to Australia sometime.

15. hairbear1

hairbear1 Member

Always welcome mate. We've got plenty of deer, pigs, goats, rabbits, foxes, feral camels, horses, donkey's buffalo, ducks, quail to hunt.

16. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

Nice kill brother, How's the meat taste of the Rehwild? Gamey? Also ,no traditional hunting uniform required?;)

17. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

The Rehwild is considered the most important game in Europe. They are found throughout the continent and British Isles. They do a lot of damage to the forest, because they eat the tips of branches. Keeping population down helps to maintain the health of forest. They bread like rabbits ( two, sometimes three per birth).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roe_deer

The meat is considered the most tender and best tasting of the German based deer. This includes red, chamois and fallow deer. I find that cooking the meat until red/blood is totally gone will remove game taste. It is still tender and nicely textured. The liver tastes very good too. we also eat the kidneys and heart. For Reh meat dishes, I make goulash, red wine sauce, spaghetti sauce, steaks with various spices and I also BBQ. My butcher makes bratwurst for both Reh and boar I shoot. We love the bratwurst.

Green and brown is expected colors on drive hunts. You need a hat, because you are given a traditional branch snapped off a native tree if you shoot something. You place the branch on your hat. Modern hunters will not be caught dead in traditional garb. I wear a 5.11 green uniform on most of my hunts. On solo and "just the guys" hunts we can wear whatever.

18. hairbear1

hairbear1 Member

We have Sambar, Red, Chital, Fallow, Hog and Rusa in Australia.

The last Red we ate we cut into cubes and marinated in honey soy sauce over night and then skewered the cubes along with bits of pineapple, onion and tomato on the b-b-que plate a day or 2 later.