Sears single shot conversion

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by flashover, Nov 24, 2012.

1. flashover

flashover New Member

I just got a old bolt action single shot sears rifle .22 and was wondering if it would be at all possible to convert it to hold a 5 round clip I am willing to put time into it just wasn't sure if it was possible.

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

oh it's probably possible, but probably not worth it. what are your machining and fabricating skills? what is your skill level with firearms?

3. flashover

flashover New Member

This is my very first attempt at anything honestly so around none

4. Axxe55

best advice i can give is, leave it alone. shoot it as it is or buy one that has a removeable magazine. best case scenario, you will bugger it up and make it unshootable, worst case, you actually are able to and it blows up in your face, injuring yourself. gunsmithing isn't something done by those with no knowledge of working on firearms.

5. flashover

flashover New Member

That's what I was figuring. I am debating whether to try pennfosters gunsmithing class because i am really wanting to learn is there any ideas I could try just to mess around with the rifle?

6. Axxe55

personally if it works just fine, leave it be. don't mess with it. working on firearms isn't something to take lightly.

in other words if it ain't broke, don't fix it. leave it be.

7. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

I at one time wanted to do the samething... instead I bought it's sibling with a detachable magazine.

8. flashover

flashover New Member

Okay I appreciate the help

9. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

That would require some very detailed machine work. In order to open the lower reciever change the bolt face and design the feed ramp is very advanced work. You would have to build or find a magazine base and magazine that would fit the stock and mate the lower part of your reciever. You will need a metal lathe and a milling machine and a TiG welder would be helpful.
    In the end just follow Axx 55s good advise.:D

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

You have already been given good advice. Can it be done? Hell, you CAN do anything except ski thru a revolving door.

Will probably cost about $500-$600 to change a $65 rifle into a $75 rifle.

11. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

If you wanted to do something with that gun to personalize it(and get your feet wet at gunsmithing), you could refinish the stock. It is a good beginner project and things to do to it are almost endless. If you do not remove much of the wood, you won't really effect the value any.

12. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I was going to suggest the same thing. You could also thing about reblueing it too. If you search the web I bet you could find a detailed schematic of the gun for disassembly and reassembly. That is a fun way to get started.

13. c3shooter

Can you give us the Sears model number?

14. flashover

flashover New Member

It's model number is 103.18

15. c3shooter

Congratulations- you have a Marlin Model 100, made by them for Sears.

16. flashover

flashover New Member

Is it true if you take a wet shirt and iron over the wood it pulls out the small dents?

17. trip286

trip286 New Member

It depends on the dent. Usually, it works with more of a "ding". Try it. You shouldn't hurt anything but possibly the finish. Nothing a little sandpaper and poly can't fix.

18. Axxe55

yes if they are not too deep. best to use a cotton towel or heavy washcloth, wet them and wring it out. use the iron on a high heat and do it slowly. the team is what swells the wood back to it's original state. might take more than one application depending on how deep the dent or ding is.