Sears Model 66 12 gauge

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by aandabooks, Aug 7, 2014.

1. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Just got this gun from my FIL for free. The action was pretty stiff and wouldn't cycle. Stripped it all down and Frog Lubed the crap out of it. Runs slick as snot now.

The wood is decent but does have a chunk missing from the right side up at the receiver. I'm thinking about doing something with the furniture and turning it into a cheap 3 gun shotgun. I haven't competed in 3 gun but I do compete in USPSA and other pistol games. I already have the pistol and rifle.

What furniture will fit on this gun? Is there any chance of adding an extension tube? It has an accuchoke that I might cut off. Would I need to have the barrel threaded for a choke or just run it open?

My understanding is the gun is actually a Hi Standard that was made sometime in the 60s/70s.

2. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I believe the Model 66 was J. C. Higgins................

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

look and see if it's on the list at Boyd's Gun Stocks. check and see if it has another model number. Sears sometimes used a much longer one.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/

4. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

You can run it open if you are referring to shot pattern and such, make sure it has a clean cut to it.

5. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Picture`s !...............

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

7. Axxe55

8. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

OP said it is a Sears Model 66, if so it is a J.C.Higgins Model 66...........Now if he thinks it`s a Hi Standard, then it would be a Sears 583.603, because the 600 thru 607`s would make it a Hi Standard Model 60 !..............

9. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

It is a Sears Model 66 583.606. Here are a couple pics:

Attached Files:

10. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

And another:

Attached Files:

11. Highpower

Highpower New Member

How about a picture of the actual markings on the gun where it says both model 66 and 583.606?

12. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I can't get a good pic with my Ipad. The rollmark says Model 66 12 GA. 583.606. There is no indication of chamber length.

Here is the best pic I could get.

Attached Files:

13. Artbrownsr

Artbrownsr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

14. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

That is what I saw too. Now for the big question, Is this shotgun worth keeping or are these basically crap shotguns? I don't have any experience with these old semi-auto shotguns.

15. Axxe55

a free gun is usually always worth something to somebody.

have you shot it yet?

some of those older less expensive guns were actually pretty decent guns. they just weren't as fancy or as deluxe as some of the others, but were still good at getting the job done.

16. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I've shot it. It is a bit on the heavy side but it shoots smooth. My only other experience with auto shotguns is a S&W 20ga I used to own.

Free is free. Pretty hard to argue with. I just don't see as being worth more than a couple hundred bucks. Might be worth chopping up and trying 3 gun. I can always upgrade later if I like it.

17. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Isn't that always the way? I can't tell if that is a picture of a gun or bigfoot! :D

18. manxxcatt

manxxcatt New Member

Bringing back a thread to life, Your J.C. Higgins model 66 is a shotgun produced by High Standard for Sears. It is the ""Off Brand" Equivalent to a High Standard C100, or C1200. I have a model 66, 583.603, and I'll put it side by side with any Remington 1100, any day. Largest problem with these shotguns, is some parts are now made of pure unobtanium (lol) due to having not been manufactured for 30 some odd years now.

Check here. John Stimson is pretty much "The Authority" on High Standard/Higgins Shotguns.
    http://www.histandard.info/

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014