sears mod 53

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Axxe55, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

well i was killing some time this morning and stopped in the local pawn shop and was just looking at rifles to see if there were any that might be a good candidated for a makeover. i seen an older wood stocked 30-06, sears brand model 53. they were asking $400 for it, i might be able to get it for $375. has no scope, looks to be in decent shape, bore is bright and clean. looks like someone took good care of it. is $375 too much, or about right? when were these guns made. years of production and any information you may know about these rifles would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

3. davemccarthy707

davemccarthy707 New Member

If it is "Made in Canada" then it's a Cooey (Winchester Canada) and a fine rifle.

4. Axxe55

thanks guys. that is about the same information i got. just really wanted to double check my facts. another question, what is the difference in a Ted Williams and a Sears? i do know that Ted Williams was a Sears line of products, but some are marked Ted Williams, some are just marked Sears. is the difference when it was made?

5. Axxe55

i decided to pass after talking to a couple of my gun friends. considering the condition and my plans, the asking price was a little higher than what its worth. the pawn shop had it on sale for 400 and would budge (sale price!) if i could have bought it for 300 or less, i might have bought it for a project i had in mind. heavy barreled 30-06, M70 action, in a synthetic stock. well it was worth a try!

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Ya' win some, ya' lose some. There are plenty of project worthy rifles out there.

7. Axxe55

don't i know it. price wise, it just really wasn't worth it to me. if i had done the deal, i was going to rebarrel it and chunk the stock (cheap birch) and mount in a synthetic stock and put a good scope on it. have about $1000 in the whole rifle including the scope. but a $400 plus all the work and the scope, i can buy a remington or ruger and be up and running!