SD9VE are they a decent semi auto

Discussion in 'Smith & Wesson Forum' started by cingram98, May 4, 2013.

1. cingram98

cingram98 New Member

I went to a store today and was looking at one and the clerk told me that the SD9VE had problems such as trigger breaking, fail to fire, jamming, and he had one that just fired when he laid it down on table. To me it looked like a decent gun, as I have had several S&W semi auto`s and no problems with any of those. I want to know if there is any truth to what he was telling me or he just did not want to sell a gun today?

2. apwvsd40ve

apwvsd40ve New Member

I have never seen this problem with my sd40ve. I am well beyond break-in with mine and have had almost zero issues with it. I have heard of a few with feed issues..but break in reduces this and polishing feed ramp fixes if breakin does not. The trigger has not failed me and I have over 650 rounds through it at this point. I absolutely love this firearm.

3. cingram98

cingram98 New Member

After thinking all night about what the sales person had said about the SD9VE I decided to buy one because if there were all the problems he described some one would have reported in a forum. I have not fired weapon but will soon

4. marc29th

marc29th New Member

I think it's more likely he wanted to sell you a different handgun so made up the stories. No modern handgun from a quality manufacture is going go off setting it down.

5. cingram98

cingram98 New Member

I thought later that his buddy may be wanting that gun and the last one. But it was a chain store and they had plenty.

6. apwvsd40ve

apwvsd40ve New Member

I agree...probably wanted you to buy a different gun....buy what YOU want, like, can afford. Other than the trigger.....it is very much like the M&P in size and stature. A lot of the accessories are even similar.

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

It's a gun you can pass on to your grandkids someday. If it's a good price, go for it.

8. flybuddy

flybuddy New Member

I've got an SD40VE also that I bought last month. Just did the Apex spring mod and it made a world of diff on the trigger pull. Do you know of any shorter front sights for this gun? Had 3 different experienced folks shoot this and all claim it's a low shooter (consistent otherwise). I really like this gun and would like to zero it in. S&W simply said to send it back and wait 2 months. I'll grind the front sight down before I'll do that.

9. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I can't speak for the model, but I can speak

for the brand. I've got two, both semis. Never

a problem with either.

Bear in mind when I say "uncompromising quality",

I am a tough customer to satisfy, and

particular, in the extreme, about my firearms.

10. chrispy

chrispy New Member

I bought the SD9VE about 2 months ago other than one FTF I have not had any problems with it.

11. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

I have a feeling that gun is used and has had a non-professional trigger job done on it. Do NOT buy THAT gun.

12. apwvsd40ve

apwvsd40ve New Member

this is/was my first handgun....it is accurate for me and my wife...my brother in law was accurate with ir also and he had the .40 M&P....we have not experienced this....I have not looked to see if there are any shorter front sights at all...sorry could not help more :/

13. flybuddy

flybuddy New Member

Thanks, I had sent emails to Dawson Precision and S&W. S&W was a blow off but Dawson had 3 shorter front sights for it. Got one coming, simple fix.

14. apwvsd40ve

apwvsd40ve New Member

poste a report when you get it. Was our shooting low for you perzonally?

15. flybuddy

flybuddy New Member

Yes it was, which was why I let some gurus shoot it to make sure it wasn't just me. I've got several guns now and shoot regularly but I did have this trouble with a Glock 30 (45 cal) when I first got it and was a fairly new shooter. That was me and I eventually worked my way through the anticipation problems of shooting a larger caliber. I've laser sighted the barrel and it's somewhat low but it seems to be more caused by the sight picture of the stock sights. I'll post how the new sight works when I get it.

16. flybuddy

flybuddy New Member

Just got the new sight from Dawson today. SW MP .130 high by .115 W. Nicely made metal optic sight with addl colors and install kit/instructions ($39). Took just a few minutes to punch off old sight using the tool they provided and about 10 minutes to install the new sight. I had to laser boresight about 3 times to get the windage straight. Sight profile looks good now. targeting about 1/3rd of an inch high at 20 feet. Considering the stock front sight is .160 high that's a significant change. They also have .140 which should sight close also.

17. apwvsd40ve

apwvsd40ve New Member

Have to check that out....next time I shot I will party closer attention.

18. 308Wins

308Wins New Member

He was feeling lazy, or just has a sour stick up his ass about S&W. I've got an SD9VE. Probably around 800 rounds through it, great gun. Never had one of the problems mentioned. It's an amazing gun for the money it costs