SD with guns not belonging to you

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by falseharmonix, May 4, 2011.

1. falseharmonix

falseharmonix New Member

My girlfriend and I share an apartment. Our hours don't always line up together, and she is frequently by herself. She has the combination to my safe, and knows how to use my pistols. My question is this:

In the event that, God forbid, she should need to use one of my guns, are there any laws stating that she cant use the guns that belong to me? She is legally able to own a firearm (no criminal record period), she just simply doesn't have any guns of her own.

Just curious if anyone has any insight. Thanks!

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Unable to comment of your state or local laws, becasue I am an ignorant redneck from another state.

As far as the feds, unless your GF is a "prohibited person", there is no restriction on you loaning her a firearm. Covered in Title 18, US Code, section 922-

"except that this paragraph shall
    not apply to (A) the transfer, transportation, or delivery of a
    firearm made to carry out a bequest of a firearm to, or an
    acquisition by intestate succession of a firearm by, a person who
    is permitted to acquire or possess a firearm under the laws of
    the State of his residence, and (B) the loan or rental of a
    firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting
    purposes
    "

3. Cory2

Cory2 New Member

That is something I would ask a local sheriff or lawyer about. But even in the event that some aweful does happen, worry about the law later, do what needs to be done to survive first.

4. falseharmonix

falseharmonix New Member

I kind of figured most of this would fall in the gray area of needing to ask a legal professional, just curious. Thanks for the input. :)

5. wb_carpenter

wb_carpenter New Member

Legal in FL but cant say for Missouri.

6. Jared

Jared New Member

I would imagine it is legal. Also how would they know who the firearm belongs to? there is no gun registration in missouri.

7. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

My laws state that my wife (who does not have here LTC or FID) cannot have any access to any of my firearms at any time. If she uses them in self defense, even if its a burglar breaking in our home, we both serve jail time. She would get whatever for unlawful weapon such and such, and I get two years for failure to secure my firearms. How DUMB is that?!

8. orangello

orangello New Member

Again, dantheman, there are houses and land available in free states; why are you still living in such a place? Vote with your Uhaul and haul butt. Heck, in some places in MS, the neighbors would gladly help you unload just to get a kick out of your accent.

9. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

If everything goes according to plan, I should be out of MA and into VT or NH within a year. Funny part is, I'm so close to NH, I could walk over the boarder for some tax free liquor and back to MA in an afternoon.

I don't want to BASE my move on firearms laws. Unless that was how I made my living, professional shooter, gun store owner, etc.

10. PowerViolence

PowerViolence New Member

I would't recommend asking your sheriff. At least where I'm from that's a sure fire way to get a dishonest bureaucratic answer. Maybe the sheriff in the NC town where i grew up wouldn't bull**** you, but then again I don't think he would be as savvy on the laws.

I would ask a lawyer though, maybe even one who specializes in firearms laws.

Another invaluable resource is, well the internet. All of these "laws" and "regulations" are all public record, and are on file and most likely online. Google is your friend.

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Did Teddy write that law or was it John Kerry?

12. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Devil Patrick.

[​IMG]

13. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Dan your state sucks ballz! :mad: For that reason alone I would move as fast as I could. Although I'm pretty sure NY has similar laws ... lucky for me I no live there no more :D

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

You need to move down here to the "Gunshine State"!

House prices are real low.

Just get on I-95 South and drive until you start seeing these regularly;

[​IMG]

PS She's carrying!

15. laynejc

laynejc New Member

I am pretty sure you have nothing to worry about, since you are in MO. I loaned a gun to my brother in law for self defense. I first asked a buddy that is in law enforcement. He told me " If he has to use it, dont plan on getting it back anytime soon. But if the use is justified, you will get it back."

16. cjbubbadoc

cjbubbadoc New Member

Who shot the bad guy? If the local law enforcement is asking, they might be looking for the right answer, and they might ask twice. Police officers aren't lawyers, but they know the law. As always make sure there is only one side of the story to tell.

17. cjbubbadoc

cjbubbadoc New Member

Adding to my thought, shoot first ask questions later. It is always better to not be in the morgue.

18. Davo45

Davo45 New Member

In away I can understand why you wouldn't base where you lived based solely on firearms laws, but in ultra liberal states such as MA firearms laws are only 1 reason I wouldn't live there. Their higher taxes, over regulation, etc. added to their jacked up gun laws are more than enough to make me not want to move there. I personally won't even go on vacation to states/cities that are unfriendly towards gun owners/armed self-defense.

19. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Don't know about yout State, But in commy Kalifornia, possession of a handgun not registered to you is a crime. You cannot even loan a handgun to anyone in this State unless you are personally with them while they have it in their hands.

Jim..........

20. mkett39

mkett39 New Member

In BIG MO. You are alright. There is no special anything to buy or have a firearm. You only need an I.D. showing your residency to purchase one and a background check. As long as she is not a felon ok.

unlike here across the river my wife has to have a FOID card also.