Firearms Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my local shop and accidentally bought a S&W 640-1 Pro with G10 grips, I’ll post pictures in a few days as background checks are taking a few days. Now I need some SD ammo, S&W claims this thing can handle +P ammo all day long. I expect to practice with 38 ball ammo but I want an excellent SD round in the chamber.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I suspect the gun will handle stout .357 loads a lot longer than the shooter can. Short barrel, light gun, punishing recoil, you're probably not going to gain the full benefit from stout loads anyway. Others may disagree, but I wouldn't expect much difference between any load you blindly grad from the shelf of what's available. I'd probably look for something mid-weight with a expanding core, like a exposed lead hp with a 1/2 copper jacket, something in a dedicated SD lineup preferably. I'd probably consider .38 +P frankly.

I think folks really really overthink ammo selection, as though the wrong choice of a defensive HP is going to just bounce off the recipient...

·
Premium Member
12,950 Posts
The question is what .357 magnum can you find today, it may not be that you have a lot of choices. I have Winchester JHPs in mine at the present time.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I suspect the gun will handle stout .357 loads a lot longer than the shooter can. Short barrel, light gun, punishing recoil, you're probably not going to gain the full benefit from stout loads anyway. Others may disagree, but I wouldn't expect much difference between any load you blindly grad from the shelf of what's available. I'd probably look for something mid-weight with a expanding core, like a exposed lead hp with a 1/2 copper jacket, something in a dedicated SD lineup preferably. I'd probably consider .38 +P frankly.

I think folks really really overthink ammo selection, as though the wrong choice of a defensive HP is going to just bounce off the recipient...
I agree, the 2” barrel negates a lot the benefit of the 357. That’s really why I’m asking for suggestions as the short barrel is the major factor. Either way this gun could be a gift to my grandkids, it should hold up... but once cry once.

·
Premium Member
5,756 Posts
135 gr. Speer Gold Dot for short barrels 38+P. JHP.

110 gr Winchester 357 mag. JHP.

Both loads have stellar reputations in a 357 snubby. Both controllable.

Good luck finding any, might try Gunbroker.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
135 gr. Speer Gold Dot for short barrels 38+P. JHP.

110 gr Winchester 357 mag. JHP.

Both loads have stellar reputations in a 357 snubby. Both controllable.

Good luck finding any, might try Gunbroker.
38 special is non existent but I found the 357. Only $1.99/round, what a deal! :cry:

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Although I don’t shoot a lot of factory,for SD it’s lehigh for me going on 7 or 8 years
image.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,756 Posts
Just did a little looking and found this, 357 has a definitive advantage over 38.

Just remember you're totin' a 357 snubby. With something like that follow ups must be taken into consideration. A light 357 load or a 38 +P does have it's merits.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just remember you're totin' a 357 snubby. With something like that follow ups must be taken into consideration. A light 357 load or a 38 +P does have it's merits.
I’m currently working a side gig where I deal with random strangers all day in a very confined space. I’m almost concerned I could cause a malfunction with the slide on my semi auto contacting a surface. Follow up shot placement would not be an issue.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I went to my local shop and accidentally bought a S&W 640-1 Pro with G10 grips, I’ll post pictures in a few days as background checks are taking a few days. Now I need some SD ammo, S&W claims this thing can handle +P ammo all day long. I expect to practice with 38 ball ammo but I want an excellent SD round in the chamber.
125gr. or 110 gr. hollow point if you can find it. You don't need +P ammo with a .357 at all. Like others have said, with that short barrel, hang on.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Dont know if they can even be found anymore but 125 gr sjhp is the round the 357 made its reputation with.

Taken deer, put down some big domestic animals with a security six 2 3/4 inch barrel using that round.
But as i said i dont know if they are even made anymore. If so thats the primo rd for a 357 mag.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Dont know if they can even be found anymore but 125 gr sjhp is the round the 357 made its reputation with.

Taken deer, put down some big domestic animals with a security six 2 3/4 inch barrel using that round.
But as i said i dont know if they are even made anymore. If so thats the primo rd for a 357 mag.
There's a little of it on GB right now. That is the ammo in my Security Six right now. Buffalo Bore is out of it but I would check there now and then for it. Buffalo Bore, as most people know, makes some hot stuff.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts