Screw size

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by starving030, Oct 4, 2013.

1. starving030

starving030 New Member

I am kinda confused because I can't seem to find a simple answer. I apologize if this has been answered, I just can't find it. I've been all over the web looking.

So I picked up my first 1911 the other day and order some grips for it. The ones that came on it were already thicker than the factory so I'm guessing they had longer screws already in it. It also has front rubber finger grooves that fit a slim piece of rubber under the grips themselves. But the grips I want to put on there won't allow the screws to bite. The screws are to short. Anyways, a few questions....

What are the lengths of screws commonly available?
    Are there different size/diameter screw heads?
    What are the heights/length of bushings commonly available?

Thanks

2. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

It sounds like you are describing the Pachmar wrap around grips.
    Did you get the 1911 new? I ask because some will but bushings and screws to accommodate a thin grip. The Pachmar grips would need a standard bushing and screw.

3. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

deleted...............

4. starving030

starving030 New Member

Here Is what it looked like when I got it. I am leaving the finger grooves but changing the grip panels.

[​IMG]

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

How "tall" are the bushings?

6. starving030

starving030 New Member

Ok. I figured it out. I just got back from the gun show here in town. Picked up a few screws. Turns out Taurus factory screws have a wider head diameter so they won't seat down into the grips. Everything looks good. Thanks for the responses.