Firearms Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a friends brand new Shockwave he asked me to mount a Crimson Trace laser on.
I cant for the life of me extract the 4 screws on top of the weapon (I'm sure they have a name) to mount the side laser.
Any tricks to getting the screws out. I've got the right sized screwdriver, it just seems the screws were over torqued or possibly have thread locker on them.

TIA

·
Registered
307 Posts
Sometimes, trying to tighten it first will break it loose and it will unscrew. And as mentioned, use the best fitting screwdriver you can.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies.
Will try again tomorrow with all suggestions.
Little oil, little heat, and a set of vice grips.
Thanks again.

·
Supporting Member
11,978 Posts
Diesel

Stop! No Vise Grips. If you damage the Screw Driver Slots since they will be damaged or even break one side of the slot completely off. And leave you no option but to take them to a machine shop and have them drilled out and with out damaging the threads in the Receiver. If the gun is new if they used Blue Thread Locker or not as one mentioned, use a Hair Dryer to heat them up good. Which should not damage the Receiver. Do not use even a little Butane Torch which can damage the Receiver.
Just so you know I have Emailed Mossberg to see if they used any type of thread locker on them. So I will let you know as soon as possible.
If it is a new gun and he is the first owner I know the factory did not use Red Thread Locker on them. When it comes to guns that is the Devils potion since it takes 500 degrease to break it loose pluss about 1 minute of a small torch exposure. And will change the metals composition. And if a Receiver is Aluminum even much worse!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I figured that the vice grips would give extra torque, but it’s true they can rip up a screw if it’s really stuck. Thanks for correcting me 03!

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
I’ve had success by putting the screwdriver in the slot, and heating the screw driver. This will ruin the screwdriver.

If you have a good soldering center with the temperature control, you can put the tip on the screw head, and heat it enough to melt the loc-tite. The Loc_tite web site has teh temperatures.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I’ve got on of those hand held “impact” tools. Put tension in the direction you want to turn and smack the top with a hammer. Has a similar effect as an impact but much less destructive. I use it on small stuff like that.

·
Supporting Member
11,978 Posts
Diesel

I have your answer. Yes the screws have a small amount of Blue Threadlocker on them. They advised to carefully mount the Receiver in a Vise or have someone hold the gun very secure.
Put the correct sized Screwdriver Blade in the Slot of each screw. Take a small Hammer and strike the top of the Screwdriver firmly a few times but not overly hard since the Receiver is Aluminum. This will break the Threadlocker lose so the Screws can be removed. If they do not loosen the first time repeat the process. When the Threadlocker breaks loose the screws should be easy to remove. I did not have much luck with Bushnell I think their repair departments are shut down and only doing Emails and shipped in guns for repair due to the virus. But I did call a Gun Smith friend of mine who has mounted optics on the Shockwave Shotguns at his business and he advised me of the above procedure.

·
Premium Member
12,074 Posts
I experienced screw removal about 15 years ago.

Reactions: MisterMcCool

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update:

Got all 4 screws out. It was a mf'er. After 20min with a hairdryer on high heat, I was able to extract them. They all had red thread locker on them. I guess that's why they were so though to get out.
All is good now, got the laser mounted with no issues.
He should be happy with his Christmas present.
Thanks for the replies. I would have never thought to use heat.

·
Supporting Member
11,978 Posts
Diesel

It was probably a dry type of Thread Locker on the Screws that was Red in color "thank God". If it had been the true liquid Red Thread Locker it takes 500 degrees to over come it. Way to hot for an aluminum receiver or any weapon for that matter!;) It should never be used on a weapon. I did mount a Vortex Viper for a Friend the other day but the Screw Threads had dry Blue Thread Locker on them.
Glad you got them out! I guess the tapping that they recommended did not work?:rolleyes:

Reactions: Diesel3 and OLD Ron
1 - 17 of 17 Posts