SCOTUS Denies Cert In Concealed Carry Case

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by alsaqr, May 5, 2014.

1. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

SCOTUS has declined to hear an appeal of Drake vs Jerejian. Subject was New Jersey "may issue" concealed carry. The federal appeals court upheld the unfair NJ permit system: SCOTUS let that law stand.

There is a federal appeals court split: Different rules for folks under the jurisdiction of other federal appeals courts:

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justic...-permits-stands-as-Supreme-Court-refuses-case

2. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The Supremes were afraid to take the case. Gutless bastards. So New Jersey's Nazi gun laws stand.

3. mseric

mseric New Member

Lots of speculation as to why, but rest assured Peruta V San Diego has something to do with it, whether good or bad.

At present Peruta is going round and round with Sheriff Gore and a possible en-banc review.

As it looks right now, Peruta may also die without SC review. That leaves an unprecedented Circuit Split.

Not looking good folk, not looking good.

A Prime example that elections do have consequences.

4. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

The SCOTUS delayed this one a few times. It requires four justices to grant cert. The fact that four did not sign on tells us something: The SCOTUS may be done with the right to bear arms.

5. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Peruta on appeal ruled in favor of the gun owner.

So if Peruta stands without SCOTUS review as currently constituted, then that would be a good thing in California.

It all depends on whether the full en banc CCA-9 court leaves it as it now stands or reverses it.

6. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Thanks for the update on Drake.

7. mseric

mseric New Member

Yes, but from what I have read, Peruta is still not final as there is a stay on the ruling.

If the en-banc panel overturns, then off to the SC for review. If the en-banc panel upholds the ruling, then off to the SC for review.

If Peruta is upheld, then there would be a clear circuit split and the SC might just have to review to clarify. If Peruta is overturned, there will be no circuit split and they will most likely deny review.

8. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

This court doesn't want another gun case. However, with two opposing circuit court rulings they will eventually have no choice.

That makes it even more important that we stop Hillary in 2016. The next president will probably have the opportunity to appoint 2 or even 3 justices.

I'll do everything I can to make sure that president isn't Hillary. Even if I have to vote for Walter Mitty or Casper Milquetoast.

9. mseric

mseric New Member

Sadly you are becoming more of a minority than a majority. It is clear that more and more Gun Owners are either going to vote Democrat funded third party spoiler (L) or stay home in protest on election day, thus handing the WH, the Senate and the House to the Democrats.

10. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

The most important thing we as 2A advocates can do is make sure the senate flips to R with a House R super majority. Then I would want a D president.

11. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

You will never find a candidate "PURE" enough to satisfy the fanatics.

When they start calling old time, proven conservative hard-liners like Paul Ryan and Scott Walker "liberal sell-outs" you know that nobody will ever get them off of their arse to go out and vote.

12. mseric

mseric New Member

Yeah, Scott Walker! Took a multi-million dollar deficit, turned it into a surplus, didn't lay off any Government employees, Reduced Unemployment, Reduced Taxes, created Privet sector Jobs, etc.etc.etc.etc. and he is fighting for his political career and will without a doubt be defeated in the next WI Gubernatorial election.

13. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Over the last few years I have come to know no less than five families who moved out of NJ just because of the lack a gun rights.:mad:
    Like I have said many times, JUDGES are AGENTS of the government!

14. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

ALL 'professional politicians' are sell outs.:mad:
    They need to follow George Washington's example. Until we get mandatory national term limits nothing will change. But the catch-22 here is the AH's will not enact a law like that because they are 'professional politicians'! :(