Scotty's semi-Custom Sig 1911 C3

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by scottybaccus, Jul 22, 2012.

1. scottybaccus

scottybaccus New Member

I picked up a new carry pistol a few weeks ago, and I wouldn't have a male chromosome in my body if I didn't want to change up a few thiings. I saw a pistol very nearly equipped this way from another maker, but it was priced beyond my budget, so I grabbed this Sig Sauer C3 and spent a few bucks making my own tweaks. I came in several hundred under the other option and have a couple of things it didn't have. I'm very happy with it! It shoots very well and has presented no issues, whatsoever.

I started with the stock C3, many of you surely recognize as having an officer's sized frame and commander length slide. I picked it based on the weight and slim slide profile. I need to weigh it as it sits now, but it's probably under 27 oz.
    I swithched the 3 white dots for tritium. I discovered that the Sig sights are made by Kensight and it was easy to identify the correct rear sight. Pinning down the front was a little harder, so I went with Novak so I could fully spec it to the correct dimensions. I taped up the slide and drifted the old ones out easily enough and the new ones drifted right in. I can't say enough about the precision fit and finish on the Sig pistols I've handled.
    I seriously considered a trigger job. It's almost SOP with any gun I buy, but after only a couple of hundred rounds, and a slight adjustment of the factory over-travel screw, this trigger is very nearly as slick as my Pin gun, which I would put against any trigger by any smith. It was done years ago by Alan Tilman at ART Enterprises. Anyway, I decided to leave it alone. (sorry, I know)
    I am pretty picky about the grip because I have small, but far from dainty, hands. Slim grip panels were a must, so I picked up a set by Kim Ahrends. They are Cocobolo with smooth finish and ball milled grooves. I finished it off with a government model magazine wearing the X-Grip finger extension and stainless screws, both from Brownell's. The icing on the cake is the arched aluminum mainspring housing from Smith & Alexander. Now it's very much like a bob-tail, but with the option to put a short mag in it if the size of the butt is an issue.
    Lastly, I bet you noticed the bright white lettering stamped into the frame. No big secret here. It's china white grease marker rubbed into the stamping, a trick I learned from the M14 nuts on that forum. I'm addicted and will do this on every gun I own! :)

In the end, I added about $250 to the $800 price of the pistol. I think I have a heck of a lot more than that money would have bought off the shelf, and I did it all at home without any special tools.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Dang Nice Job there Scotty! simple elegance. i like it a bunch.

3. scottybaccus

scottybaccus New Member

Thank you! I am still getting acquainted with it, but it is quite possibly dethroning my heirloom 1911, something I never thought I'd say.

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

A Sig dethroning a Ted Yost piece??

** snot bubble **

5. scottybaccus

scottybaccus New Member

I did not capitalize heirloom.... :p

MY heirloom has just been with me a long time. It's a custom that's about half DIY and half by another legendary gunsmith. I never really finished it. The frame has never even been blued! It's old and crusty, like my favorite pair of tidy whiteys.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012