Scorpions...Ya cant shoot em!

Discussion in 'Arizona Gun Forum' started by pawjr74, Jul 7, 2013.

1. pawjr74

pawjr74 New Member

Ok here's one for all you desert dwellers. I've been in my house for over 12 years. The first couple of years I never saw a scorpion. Then it started. 1-2 the first summer then 2-4 the next and so on. I've tried professional spraying and spraying on my own with spray mixed double and even triple strength. So far nothing has slowed them down. This summer has been the worst ever. I've taken steps like caulking around the cracks along the bottom of the house, caulking all the outlets, wall switches and A/C vents. I even screened the A/C registers. (After a scorpion fell on to the dinner table) My question is has anybody else gone through this with any success of eliminating or severely cutting down on the amount of scorpions? My wife is ready to move which I'm fine with but how do we know we won't have the same problem where we move to? Luckily the housing market has picked up a little bit here. Last year moving wouldn't have even been an option.

2. TruggieTex

TruggieTex New Member

Hey, Paw.

Here are some thoughts...
    Demon is good siht! My Home Depot sells it. Not cheap, but really good on arachnids.
    They have come for a reason....water leak? Abundance of mites, ants, or whatever they eat?
    The Demon will kill them, but you need to make your property less appealing to them or they will be back.

Good luck!

3. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

I hate them!!!

Sry just can't stand them!! If no professional solution works then Yeah,..I'd consider moving even if it was my dream home! Lucky for us we don't get them that size here!! we get the smaller Box Scorpions which can still cause you lots of pain and illness without being fatal.
    Clearly there is a nest somewhere in your Basement or walls!! It might be worth it to call a Pro....
    I have only seen one of that size in 18 Months here(but as you know I'm up north) in my Yard after a heavy rain last Sept., and he got crushed by a BIG ROCK!! And FWIW,..you CAN shoot them with .22 Bird shot!!!(one reason why I have 4 boxes of it!)
    We have a pest control company. $35 a month, and the only bugs of any kind we see now are dead or dying...:cool::eek:

4. pawjr74

pawjr74 New Member

Our community here has a lot a grass. I have a front and back lawn which really drew us to the community coming from California so there's definitely an abundance of water. The strange thing is we have friends on other streets in the community who have never seen a scorpion in the same amount of time they've lived here. I'll have to look into Demon. Is it labeled to kill scorpions or just their food source?

DrFootball I'd move up North in a heartbeat but its a little harder to find work up there. (That and my wife doesn't want to. :) )

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  5. TruggieTex

TruggieTex New Member

Here is a good link and I get it from amazon or EBay....well, until I saw that my Depot carried it :)

http://www.demonwp.com/

6. The_Tank

The_Tank New Member

Water is certainly an attraction for them and crickets. If you get rid of the crickets they have no food. Kill the crickets if you have them.

Good luck.

7. pawjr74

pawjr74 New Member

Any sprays or treatments need to be pet friendly. (It looks like Demon WP is)
    We also have a bunch of these little guys bouncing around and I wouldn't want to kill them either. I'm not sure if they would eat a scorpion or not? We used to see geckos but I think the spraying was too much for them.
    [​IMG]

8. The1Monster

The1Monster New Member

If there were any way to keep a bunch of pet hedgehogs, that'd be pretty awesome. I hear scorpions are their favorite food.

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

10. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

My $.02, since you also have a healthy toad population, you have a plethora of prey critters around your house. Remove the prey and remove their reason for visiting regularly! Good luck!!

11. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

don't like scorpions. when it comes to scorpions....i put my foot down.

feel free to quote me on this.....:p

12. TruggieTex

TruggieTex New Member

I had to pick mine up once as they were coming out of the drain in the bunkhouse shower.....mid shower!
    Never felt so defenseless.....

13. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

You clearly aren't running the water hot enough :p

14. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

But...I heard assault rifles where bad :eek:

I have one of those Bus A Salt dealies. Lots of fun to get those flying vermin.:)

15. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

Cypher WP.... you can thank me later......
    http://http://www.amazon.com/Cyper-Insecticide-Lb-Control-Spray/dp/B003C2ETI2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373251757&sr=8-1&keywords=cypher+wp

Outside use only. Eliminates their food source and eliminates them.
    Scorpions can enter your house easily, if a sheet of copy paper can slip in between a crack, around a door etc. a scorpions has access.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  16. anm2_man

anm2_man Member

+1 here. When I first moved into my house, it was built on Desert ground. We had a invasion of Crickets. Then came the scorps. Once I got rid of the crickets, never seen a scorp again.

Been good for the last 20 years.

Except for the F**king Woodpeckers. They do more damage than any scorp did.

17. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

We have a lot of nasty critters where I live, but few of them are small enough to hid out in your bathroom slippers. I would not want to share my house with those guys. Good luck with the extermination.

18. pawjr74

pawjr74 New Member

LOL I had a woodpecker that used to peck on the metal vent pipes on my roof at the crack of dawn. He was a smart little bastard because every time I went out back with the pellet rifle he would take off. If I didn't have the pellet rifle he would stick around.

19. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Demon WP is the only thing that is reliable. I understand Scorpions glow under black light. Mount a black light on your pellet gun and go to town