Score This Target Please!

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Joshua M. Smith, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Joshua M. Smith

Joshua M. Smith New Member

Hello,

I need this target scored please:

[​IMG]

Five shots.

I am not scoring it myself for a couple reasons. First, I'm not sure I can be 100% objective. Second, I fired five rounds, almost certain that I hit with all five rounds, but I cannot find the fifth round.

I think it went through the same hole as another, as one looks slightly elongated, but I do not want to make that call. If you see it, please tell me which one it is.

I'm leaving the pic full sized; please click on the thumbnail to view the full sized pic.

The center is 0.5" across the black.

Please let me know what you all think!

Thanks!

Josh

2. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

That lowest round does look a little larger than the others to me.

3. Joshua M. Smith

Hi Folks,

I want to thank you.

Here is a screen capture of what I'm looking at:

[​IMG]

(click the pic)

I have this posted on at least 10 boards, and there is a 50/50 split between opinions as to whether the double is at 6 o'clock or 1 o'clock. I initially thought it was at 1, but I agree now that it was at 6.

I'm also learning new terms. What is a "plug"? What is a "moving backer"?

I'm just a po' ol' squirrel hunter who is trying to make bulk ammo take squirrel at 100yds.

The bullets were reshaped first into a consistent roundnose configuration, then into a flatpoint, using D Rock's tool. This is why the target looks to have been hit with wadcutters.

The idea is to have a killing bullet, but one that is also accurate, and that means that, since for the majority of the way the bullet would be travelling subsonic (after 30yds or so), that it needed a shape better tailored to subsonic speeds. I also figured that getting there soon would be best, and the flat point is sort of a brake most noticable at supersonic speeds.

Also, this is really part of my attempt to get 1MOA with bulk HP.

Looks like I am shooting 1.048MOA or so.

Maybe this stuff just isn't capable of MOA accuracy? I do not know. I do know that this group was relatively easy after firing hundreds upon hundreds sorted by weight - only to have it recommended to me that I try sorting by case head thickness. That seems to have done it. I actually watched that bottom hole appear, and I wondered if I had hit it twice as I could see the white plastic backing through the hole as the woods were getting dark.

There were no other shooters; this is my private range. It maxes out at 110 yards or so, but is only really usable out to 100yds.

Thanks again, and additional comments are most welcome.

Josh

4. joshfireart

joshfireart New Member

take the target turn it over work out side of holes push in if the bullet went in it should have torn the paper it should be easy to see i dont think you mist the target

5. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Looks like you hit it 4 times! :D

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Go to Walmart and buy a document protector.
    Cut a couple of squares out.
    Using the mouth of a spent shell as a leather awl, make an impression in one corner of each piece (this lets you use the rest of the square as a "handle").
    When you overlay them on the target, try to match the rings (using the lead marks from the slug) over a slug hole.
    If they don't match up, then you have two slugs in one. If they match, then only one slug.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  7. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Without actually having the target in hand, it looks to me that the bottom hole is a double. Looked at it with a large magnifier. From what I can see, I would score it as a 48/0X. The bottom hole has not completely cut the ten ring line and the center hole has not completely cut the X-ring line. Sorry, just what I see without target in hand..........Nice 100 yard group though.................What rifle did you use??

Jim.........

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  8. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

I agree, looks like a two in one, I would have thought a wadcutter, modified or not, would have left a clearer cut.

Screw it, take it out and try again.;)

9. willshoum

willshoum New Member

two in one?

Good group @ 100 yds, My guess is that you had One Zinger. Only because you said you Modified the rounds. Iv'e shot 40 gr. @ 100 yds. with a marlin Mod. 881 and put bullets all most in the same hole. Still that is good shooting.:)

10. Joshua M. Smith

With supersonic bulk?

I'm a little nutty, and I'm determined to make this stuff shoot MOA at 100yds.

Right now I'm sitting at right around 1.048MOA.

Josh

11. Joshua M. Smith

Just my squirrel rifle ;)

No. Really. This is my small game rifle. I take hunting squirrels and wabbits very seriously :eek:

[​IMG]

It has some internal mods I've done as well, pillar bedded, a trigger overtravel stop, smoothed out the sear. The base is an EGW 20MOA because I know for a fact I'm going to get even nuttier in the future and want to shoot this thing at 200 yards.

Josh

12. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I'm only seeing four rounds after looking at it closely.

Plus, what are the chances that it actually went in the same hole at that range, very minimal.

It's good shooting for sure though!

Brian

13. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Very nice looking rifle. Good luck in your quest for MOA..Should not take too long...............

Jim......................

14. joshfireart

joshfireart New Member

shooting 1 1/2 groups and then missing the whole target what are the chances of that unless there was an earth quake and knock down the sand bags with a forty mile an hour wind gust just as he pulled the trigger, but i would have thought he would have noticed that

15. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Mighty good shootin there big guy.....

You do know that the bolt is on the wrong side of that gun right?

[​IMG]

16. Jeehs

Jeehs New Member

I'd hate to be a small game animal knowing that there's guys running around with Go getters like that. You ever take a Squirrel or rabbit at 100yds?

17. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I think he missed the target altogether with the last one,it happens. Could be any number of things, but at that distance it's not too far fetched. I only see four holes. :rolleyes: