scoping a colector

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by murraywc, Sep 22, 2011.

1. murraywc

murraywc New Member

I have a G33/40 that has been sporterized somewhat just by putting a sporterized stock on it. It has not been drilled or cut. Is there a mount available to scope this rifle without having to drill the reciever because I know it will decrease the value of it and ruin the chances of ever restoring it. I also have a 1903A3 restored that I would like to scope but would prefer not to drill it. Is there such a mount available.

2. 1982flh80

1982flh80 New Member

Milsurp scope

Pics of my Columbian 98k. Mount is from B Square. Check their web sight for other applications. You can also check Natchez. Scope is an Nc star pistol scope. Hope it holds up. Cheepo unit w/illuminated reticle.

Attached Files:

3. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

You not only need the stock, but the correct bands, end cap, bayonet lug. I have a friend that is only a few miles from me that has stocks stacked like cord wood and trays of metal. Do you want to see what he wants for them! It is not a sniper, that is what he does, but he has lots of parts. He has well over a hundred stocks. The numbers would not match, but the rifle would be correct.

4. murraywc

murraywc New Member

I have looked at bringing it back to original but the stocks and metal are so high that i have found I'm not sure I would recover the cost but I know that the reciever is one of the most sought after on the market. I would be very interested if I could find one at the right price.

5. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Agreed that the k98 mauser action is one of the best actions on the market. However to addess your concern about mounting a scope and/or the cost of restoring it to original condition. Considering that it's already been mod'd (sporter stock added) then mounting a scope by drilling the reciever or not is a mute point in my opinion. Your only concern mounting a scope (again my opinion) would lie in if you want to bring it back to original. I am not aware of any mounts that would not require altering the reciever in some way other than a scout mount like the one you've got on your Brazilian rifle.

I am not a big fan of sporterizing the milsurp rifles but I do have a few in my collection. My advice would be go sporter and don't worry about mounting a scope to the reciever or return it to original condition and find a scout mount.

Cost is only a factor if you intend to resell it. Cost is not so much a factor if you intend to keep it and have an original piece.. Remeber, value only amounts to what someone is willing to pay.