Firearms Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,822 Posts
On what rifle? It matters. :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,180 Posts
If you have a WalMart in your area that sells guns/ammo they should have some Nikon ProStaffs, Leupolds and Bushnells. However, if those aren't what your looking for, look to Redfield Revolution or Revelation(new scope that just came out) and Weaver V16 Classic. There's also Vortex, Clearridge, Mueller, Bsa, Burris, and others.
Del
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,654 Posts
There's also Leupold and Nikon.:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
Hard to believe, but I recommend you take a look at the BSA Majestic DX hunter series of scopes. Have one on my Savage Axis 223. You should find them priced under $150. Higher power ones have side focus. Have a couple of the 6-24x44 Majestic DXs on centerfire rifles that I bought from Grafs and Sons due to them having lowest price I could find at the time. As for the optics in the Majestic DX, mine are bright and clear edge to edge at any power and I've no complaints on the adjustments in mine. The Majestic DX is one of their newest scopes, has a better warranty than earlier scopes. Yea its a BSA and standard response to BSA is "its junk". Perhaps their lowest end scopes are junk, don't know, have never bought one. Last 7 scopes I've bought within last two years are 4 different models of BSA, all being in BSA's higher priced scopes. LOL, $110 to $180 were their cost. Hey, just a retired guy here on a limited shooting budget that buys rifles on the cheap and his scopes too. Have found the Majestic DXs to be a decent scope, as were the other models I've bought.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,654 Posts
A good "Rule of Thumb" is the scope should cost close to the same price as the rifle, or perhaps a little more. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,635 Posts
A good "Rule of Thumb" is the scope should cost close to the same price as the rifle, or perhaps a little more. :)
I guess my "rule of thumb" is wrong,most of my optics cost 2-7x what the gun they are on cost.
You can't shoot,what you can't see!

You want to buy the best scope that you can afford,and don't be afraid to buy used higher end scopes.You can get some good deals on higher end optics if you do your homework.
There are also some great deals to be found on discontinued models of scopes.I recently bought 2-Weaver Classic Extreme scopes that were the top of the line of Weaver scopes.The Super Slam replaced it,and I paid less than 1/2 of what they originally sold for.

Let's face it,We would all love to have a S&B,Premier,US Optics,or other extreme high end optic,but unless you have a bottomless bank account,they are mostly a dream.
But to just get a cheap scope in order to shoot your gun is just wasting money in my opinion.Save up your money and get a decent scope for it.
Buy once,Cry once!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,193 Posts
Txhillbilly said:
I guess my "rule of thumb" is wrong,most of my optics cost 2-7x what the gun they are on cost.
You can't shoot,what you can't see!

You want to buy the best scope that you can afford,and don't be afraid to buy used higher end scopes.You can get some good deals on higher end optics if you do your homework.
There are also some great deals to be found on discontinued models of scopes.I recently bought 2-Weaver Classic Extreme scopes that were the top of the line of Weaver scopes.The Super Slam replaced it,and I paid less than 1/2 of what they originally sold for.

Let's face it,We would all love to have a S&B,Premier,US Optics,or other extreme high end optic,but unless you have a bottomless bank account,they are mostly a dream.
But to just get a cheap scope in order to shoot your gun is just wasting money in my opinion.Save up your money and get a decent scope for it.
Buy once,Cry once!
I guess im wrong to then buy the best u can an then u wont have to cry about the cheap junk, even if it takes a year of saving its worth it
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,654 Posts
I've never regretted buying a top end Leupold, or Nikon.

I've owned a dozen cheapies over the years, and regretted buying every one of them.

And yes, for most of us a Hensoldt, Zeiss or S&B is a dream.

But I'd rather dream about a S&B than own a $99.95 K-mart blue light special:p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
breaking the Bank

Did I miss that reply?

I have more than a few Nightforce scopes. I realize there are a few out there that are better. I have never been sorry. Some have been better than others, but the quality is outstanding. The optics great, the repeatability rock solid, and the customer service very good.

You want to go cheaper, certainly you can.

Was there an answer on what he his going to shoot? Or his distance? If you are shooting 200 yards you don't need an $1800+ scope. However if you are shooting 1000K+ you might want a top end scope.

Of course you experience may vary.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,193 Posts
jmac2387 said:
Did I miss that reply?

I have more than a few Nightforce scopes. I realize there are a few out there that are better. I have never been sorry. Some have been better than others, but the quality is outstanding. The optics great, the repeatability rock solid, and the customer service very good.

You want to go cheaper, certainly you can.

Was there an answer on what he his going to shoot? Or his distance? If you are shooting 200 yards you don't need an $1800+ scope. However if you are shooting 1000K+ you might want a top end scope.

Of course you experience may vary.
He said for a 223 so 1000+ isnt on the program
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
Well, with a Nightforce he won't have a problem seeing what he is shooting at. I had to learn about the quality of optics the expensive way. Buy cheap then weep.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,193 Posts
Silvertip 44 said:
Well, with a Nightforce he won't have a problem seeing what he is shooting at. I had to learn about the quality of optics the expensive way. Buy cheap then weep.
Yea they are good optics i have a swaro z6 on my ca 338 its up there in the high end but worth every penny
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Swvarski

I have one Swv and the only issue I have with it over a nightforce is that the parallax control isn't quite as fine as I would like it to be. You can get it adjust correctly with a little work, but in comparison it is a coarse dial.

as always you experience may vary.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,193 Posts
jmac2387 said:
I have one Swv and the only issue I have with it over a nightforce is that the parallax control isn't quite as fine as I would like it to be. You can get it adjust correctly with a little work, but in comparison it is a coarse dial.

as always you experience may vary.
I have a nightforce on a custon 7mm ultra mag i had done for my daughter before she passed away an yes it has a very fine smooth adjustment the swaro is now after many adjustments
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
I have a Zeiss in my Winchester 223 and was so impressed with it I will get one for my 7 mm mag. I have a Burris Fullfield now and it's a good scope. But the Burris is not even in the same league as the Zeiss.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top