Scopes

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by CountryAssMutha, Jan 26, 2010.

1. CountryAssMutha

CountryAssMutha New Member

Looking for some suggestions on a scope for my ar-15 thats made in america and will hold zero. Will not buy unless it's made in america don't care how long it while hold zero if it's not made in america. Shoot me a couple of ideas. Thanks

2. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Burris is made in america using Japan glass I think.

Leupold is made in america using Japan glass.

US Optics is 100% made in america. Your going to spend 2 to 4 times the cost of your ar on US Optics.

Right now the best value for your dollar is coming out of Japan. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Even S&B are not making their own glass they order what they want from out side sources.

I think US Optics makes their own glass and Zeiss make their own glass, as well as nikon.

Don't discount Nikon Bushnell or many others just simply because they are not made in america.

3. CountryAssMutha

Thanks,
    Defiantly was not knocking Bushnell or the other guys. Was just curious if there was option available because I had looked for weeks for American made. You are right that the American made ones or usually on the high end. I have a bushnell elite 4200 on my 30-06 and never have had an issue. Was just really hoping to find one in America that works as well.

4. CountryAssMutha

By the way the ar-15 is chambered in the 7.62 x 39 so I'm getting more recoil than my other chambered in the 5.56

5. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

7.62x39 has recoil? Never noticed. A scope for an AR is pretty broad. I put an old Soviet 3-9x42mm compact on my A2 DCM. Takes Coyotes out to 300 yards without any issues. But, I wanted a hunting scope. What do you want it for??

6. CountryAssMutha

Like the recoil comment!!!::D I will be boar hunting. Took the 5.56 last year wasn't impressed with the stopping power, so have switched to the 7.62 x 39 this year. Just looking for a real good optic at 200 or 300 yards. Guess it was wishful thinking but I really wanted a optic made in america that doesn't cost more than the rifle!

7. swampcrawler

swampcrawler New Member

How about the "NEW" Redfield? Seems someone told me it was USA born.

Yea , I know I've only got (1) post on this forum,, but I'm a looooong ways from newbe status.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  8. CountryAssMutha

Thanks. Have begun doing research will see what I find out. :)

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

leupold decent scopes got a few on different rifles i like em. got a nikon shotgun scope that came with the used CZ550 i bought its pretty nice holds zero well even when shooting full bore 458 Lott rounds. got an old colt 4x20 AR15 scope with BDC dial marked by colt but its all made in japan still has really nice optics. most of the crappier scopes are made in america. sad but true.

10. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

That is the biggest load of horse hucky I have ever heard.

That crappiest scopes come from PRC Peoples Republic of China. Where do you think NC Star, BSA, just about any scope that is less that $200 is going to be made there.

11. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Tell 'em how you REALLY feel.

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Hop over to the Introductions section and let us know a little about you.

13. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

USA scopes are crap. Have you ever even seen a US Optics scope? I am not talking on the dang interwebs where you think you are some kind of expert opticial ninja master, I am talking about in real life being able to touch it look threw it and use it. Guess what I have. I have a buddy that has oh about 20 or so of them and even more Nightforce scopes he let me shoot his suppressed 308 Sniper rifle he was building for an undisclosed Government group that was topped with a US Optics SN-3 T-PAL. The USA was I believe the first country to use scoped rifles in combat. Maybe you have heard of them Berdans Sharp Shooters?

JonM

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  14. CountryAssMutha

Nightforce are made in japan and put togther here.

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  16. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I'll just sit back and watch.

17. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

18. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Please list these US Made scopes that are just assembled here and are JUNK?

While I am not a fan of leupold they are a quality scope I believe you pay twice what they should cost because they have a gold ring and say LEUPOLD. Most companies are not producing their own glass for rifle optics today. It is a costly and time consuming process.

Schmidt & Bender is one of the top scope makers today and they don't even make their own glass they find the companies that are producing the quality and quantity they want and they buy it.

Zeiss is one of the few that makes their own glass. they also make the FINEST glass for medical equipment If you look threw a microscope without zeiss lenses then you switch to one that does have them there is a world of difference. One of my jobs required me to spend long hours hunched over a microscope and my eyes would hurt after only 25 ro 30 minutes of counting blood cells on scopes with less glass in them. The zeiss scope was good to go for at least 3 hours before eye fatigue set in. The only other scope I would use other than a zeiss was one fitted with NIKON lenses.

Nightforce scope are very high quality scopes. Been there seen then used them. If you ever see an F-class match you are going to see mostly Leupold and Nightforce scopes on the line. Are there better scopes out there Sure there are one of which is US Optics.

Personally I think you are just talking out of your starfish in hopes to get into a fight.

What ever dude. I grew up shooting high end stuff that when purchased was the nightforce and Zeiss of the time. My grandfather has plenty of Leupold scopes. Along with Lyman All Americans, Unertal scopes as well. He was a man who wanted the one hole 10 shot groups at 100 yards. He was invited to The Weatherby Factory in CA by Mr. Roy Weatherby himself to discuss accuracy and many other aspects of shooting. We have no less than 20 custom built bench guns in my house. It was just how it was.

"Not gonna argue"

19. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I wish I had the cabbage to put a Nightforce or USA optics scope on some of my rifles. Tango, you know what they say about opinions....

[​IMG]

20. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Jpatt yes I do.

Some just stink more than others.

I have used a lot of scopes and read a whole lot on the subject.

Oh and lets not talk about Premier Reticles new line of scopes. I would get one of them before nightforce, US Optics and definitely before Leupold.

"Not gonna Argue"