Scopes on single shot slug guns

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by cva209x50, May 8, 2014.

1. cva209x50

cva209x50 New Member

I found 3 different shotgun scopes on Amazon.com and I can't decide which one I want. I don't remember the model names but I do remember brand names. They were :

Simmons
    Bushnell
    konus

All three scopes have at least 4" of eye relief.

I know single shots beat the crap out of cheap scopes. Will the limbsaver barrel ring help? The gun I plan to put it on is the h&r ultra slug 12 gauge with the thumbhole stock that I'm saving up for.

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  2. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The limbsaver barrel ring is to control harmonics in rifle barrels. I don't understand how it could help a shotgun.

Simmons and Bushnell both make decent hunting scopes. They also make some crappy scopes. You need to do some legwork to find out if the glass in the scope you want is made at Meade labs. If you list the exact model of scope you want we can be more helpful.

Last edited: May 9, 2014

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

he thinks it's going to help with recoil. it won't.

4. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

Buy a Nikon Slug Hunter. Only an extra hundred bucks and ten times the quality. I realize that some cheap scopes have great warrenties but that doesn't make me feel better when I miss a deer due to a fogged scope/broken reticle/ blown up internals. Also look into DNZ mounts. Not sure what they have in the way of mounts for shotguns (never had a dedicated slug gun) but they are great rifle mounts. Pay Once Cry Once.

5. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

You are NOT going to be shooting 250 or 300 yards, sure you would not rather have something like this ?...............

Attached Files:

6. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Nothing by Bushnell, Simmons or Konus has ever been in my safe, and never will be.

7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

8. cva209x50

cva209x50 New Member

Limbsaver makes a barrel ring for bull / heavy barrels. I know it's not gonna do squat about the recoil. I meant will the barrel ring help suppress the shock and vibration when the gun goes off and help keep the scope "alive" longer?

9. cva209x50

cva209x50 New Member

That's what I thought about doing. Heck, I thought about putting one on my dad's old 870 (express combo)

10. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Not necessary, shotgun barrels do NOT have near the resonance harmonics of a rifles barrel !............

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

well, he's only 16 so cut him some slack!

pretty sure you weren't a firearms guru at 16 either.

12. cva209x50

cva209x50 New Member

So, if I put a cheap scope on a large caliber single shot rifle (barrel mount) the scope is going to crap out on me?

13. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

It`s a possibility !...................

14. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I don't know how the harmonics compare, but that mostly has to do with the slug trajectory. The recoil impulse alone on a 12 ga lightweight slug gun is quite a jolt. If you wonder why your zero needs to be readjusted for no reason, chances are the optics are getting rattled off center.

I've had a receiver mounted scope on my H&R, made it a target slug gun (don't laugh). Never tried a barrel mount, but would not be willing to invest in it knowing I'd be shooting a lot, carrying never.

Of scopes and mounts, a Russian mil surp or replica might be a great option for a slug gun, because the optics are not centered. You can move the reticle visually without any calibration. I'd be interested to try it on a Saiga, not sure if the make slug guns.

15. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

There isnt really a receiver on an H&R single shot. The barrel is just larger in diameter with an under lug attached. You are attaching to the barrel since it is one piece. The problem is the recoil impulse which in any 12 gauge is heavy. The only real differences in shotgun scope are the reticles, parallax setting and possibly the eye relief. Out of the 3 scopes the op listed the Konus I believe has an engraved reticle rather than wires which might be less fragile. At one time Simmons made a decent scope but the Aetec they sent me to replace a broken scope would not even hold up to a 308 bolt.

16. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I should have called it the action. My apologies.

17. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Many of the people posting in this thread have never owned a simmons or BSA scope. In fact, they admit they have never owned one. Only one of my "cheap" scopes will fog up. It is mounted on a 10/22 and it is not nitrogen filled. Simmons never promised it wouldn't fog up. But I can strap the 10/22 on a 4 wheeler luggage rack and it doesn't drift. I have seen all the scopes they have recommended drift after a trip on a 4 wheeler. All scope makers have a lemon here and there.

The few that have had a bad experience with meade labs scope did something stupid like mounting a rimfire/pellet rifle scope on a centerfire rifle. Duh! They had a problem. Most of them don't hunt or own a scoped shotgun. In fact, NChunt is the only one that I know has actually fired a shotgun with a scope on it. They are only repeating what they have heard on the internet or the bad experience uncle charlie had 20 years ago with a scope that wasn't mounted properly. They cannot make a honest recommendation neither good or bad because they have no experience on the topic.

I belong to hunting club that drives deer. Much of the land we hunt on we can not use centerfire rifles, so we use shoguns with a rifled barrel and a scope. I am not an expert on shotgun scopes. I just hear a lot of feedback from people who actually hunt with a scoped shotgun. When something fails when a hunter is shooting at a deer you hear about it. I haven't heard anyone complain that a scope made at meade labs has failed.

I am sure eventually I will hear about a meade labs scope that has failed. Every group has a screw up in it. We have hunters that don't believe you need a torque wrench to mount a scope. We have a couple hunters that use a 3/8 ratchet to mount a scope. No scope they buy works right because they over tighten the rings instead of using locktite or fingernail polish. They complain that no one makes a decent scope. Imagine that! That is who these people are getting feedback from. People don't think that a inexpensive scope should be mounted with the same care as a $500 scope so their scope fails. If the scope is one degree out of level it will be an inch off for every 30 yards in a shot. So in 100 yards past the distance they sighted in the scope it will be off 3". Then they blame the cheap scope.

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  18. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

My 20 gauge Remington Express model 670 wears the Simmons Pro-Diamond 4X32 shotgun scope. It sometimes makes three holes touch at 50 yards when firing the Winchester Partition Gold sabot slugs. i like that gun for shooting hogs at feeders. A few times i have left five dead hogs on the ground.

Forget the limbsaver.

19. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member Supporter

http://www.amazon.com/Simmons-ProHu...&qid=1399845670&sr=8-5&keywords=shotgun+scope

4X32 fixed scope for $58.99. I have one of these on my Mossy 500 12 gauge slug gun (ohio deer laws..) and it works great for the last 3 years.

http://www.amazon.com/Simmons-ProHu...qid=1399845670&sr=8-16&keywords=shotgun+scope

1.5-5X32 for $84.51, my buddy has one of these he has used for ~5 years with zero problems on an 870 12 gauge...

Both guns have been shooting my +1700 FPS handload slug for the last 6 years. No factory slug comes close to that amount of recoil. Both scopes have held up and are accurate to damn good distances (100-150 yds, 4" circle). Think 45-70 for kick... :D

Forget the limbsaver, it wont help at all. Torque and blue locktight ALL the mounting screws. that will save you a lot of headaches. Both these are decent shotgun scopes. Stay away from anything high magnification, the field of view is too narrow. Spend money on really good "steel" rings, not aluminum, it makes a difference. Don't overspend on a shotgun scope, you will break it eventually when you drop it out of a stand. Replacing these scopes won't break your heart or your wallet. Hope this helps.

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  20. cva209x50

cva209x50 New Member

Hey ... I resent that! I may not know much about modern guns but I know ww2 era firearms better than you guys. :mad::banghead: