Scopes for the .22 LR

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by MountainRobin, Mar 3, 2012.

1. MountainRobin

MountainRobin New Member

I'm looking to add one to 2 rifles, what are your suggestions?

2. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Simmons 3-9X32 .22 Mag. with A.O. I've got two of them and they are an excellent .22 scope, especially considering that they run $45-$65 depending on where you buy them. Do yourself a favor and also buy some good rings to go with the scope you buy. :cool:

ETA: I see you're in Lakewood. My sister is a Lakewood cop. She's been out there for 25+ years. WELCOME!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012

3. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Snakedriver, what is AO? I'll be needing one to go with my new savage 22 mag soon.....

4. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

I'm a cheapskate...whatever's on sale, as long as it ain't a TASCO.

I've got a bunch of BSA's, Simmons, and Centerpoints :)
    Oh, and a vintage Sears Ted Williams scope on a Sears 46C lever-action rifle!
    [​IMG]

The only thing to know about certain Center Point scopes is (4-16x44)...
    To move the adjusters, you must FIRST unlock the locking rings...
    otherwise you break the adjusters and they won't hold zero...
    Its as easy as pie...and helps retain your Original Zero setting when bumping around on ATV's...
    but if you forget to take the lock off before you twist the Windage adjuster, you can do heinous damage.
    And if you do...just call the MFR, say its not holding zero, and send it in for repairs...
    on your own dime, as you were the one who goofed :D

5. big shrek

AO = Adjustable Objective :)

That's the far end of the scope, usually has numbers that stand for Yardage.

6. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Yes as Shrek says. With the Adjustable Objective feature you can adjust the objective from 15 yards to infinity based on how far away your target is. This helps you avoid a thing that can throw your shots off called parllax effect.

While not mandatory, it's a nice feature to have to help insure you get the most accuracy possible out of your scope. Most standard .22 rimfire scope have a fixed objective set at 50 yards, which is the typical zero range for .22's. Centerfire scopes usually have a fixed objective set at 100 yards, which is a more likely zero setting for non-.22 type rifles.

By having an adjustable objective setting feature, you get to choose what range your scope is going to be most accurate at.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  7. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

I am 60-years old with failing eye-sight and wear glasses. When I look for a scope I have to consider the scope's operational function and the environment I will be shooting. I chose the 3-9x40 for my 4595TS because it provides the wider field of vision and light. For the .22 rifle, I would think Snakedriver's choice, Simmons 3-9X32 .22 Mag. with A.O with be a very good combination.

8. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Ranger-6, I'm going to be 60 this July, so I feel your pain. :D While my eyesight is still pretty good, those irons are getting kind'a fuzzy. I've scoped most of my favorite rifles now. It makes things all clear again, especially with the scopes that allow you to focus the eyepiece to your liking. :)

9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

10. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

NIKON has a nice .22 bdc scope, but never used one personally. I guess it just looks nice.

11. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Yeah, from what I've heard, the Sweet scopes are nice. Unfortunately, they only make them for 22 LR & 17 HMR, I have a 22 mag.......

12. big shrek

Peep sights also help one increase their vision...it gives the eye a workout :)

13. wiliardo123

wiliardo123 New Member

Hello.
    That all depends on what do you want to use it for in terms of magnification, and the diameter of the lens.
    You may go with barska they have good reviews , they come with multi magnification models and sights also those with red dot sight are cool as well.
    Money wise you are talking 30 to 80 bucks.
    Thanks

14. JTJ

Tape one of the BDC turrets and make your own scale.

15. Dino1

Dino1 New Member

I have an inexpensive 4x32 ACOG replica scope on my M4.
    Works well enough for me. :)

[​IMG]

16. MountainRobin

MountainRobin New Member

Looks like we're all going in the same direction! Thanks

17. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Yeah, the guy at the LGS said the same thing. I will consider it......

18. rfowlie

rfowlie New Member

I have the Nikko Sterling scopes to be a good buy

19. BTI

BTI New Member

I am new to the rifle world. I mostly shoot handguns & shotguns. I joined a club that I now have access to a 50, 100 & 200 yard range. I thought start small & work up so I just purchased a 10/22 & would like to add a scope to it. Is mounting the scope & zeroing something I can do myself?

20. JTJ

Very easy to do.